Computer Related > Notepad Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 10

Notepad - bathtub tom
I use this a fair bit, but the 'font', 'font style' and 'OK' boxes are blank. If I click blindly in one of the boxes, the relevant font or style pops up. Any ideas on how I can see what I'm doing please?
 Notepad - No FM2R
>>Any ideas...

Not really, and I have thought about it and tried to make mine do it.

Is it always like this or does it come and go? Does it happen when text is selected, without selected text or both?

Or anything else you can think of which might trigger a thought.
 Notepad - Crankcase
Sounds more Windowy than Notepaddy.

There's a multipage thread you've probably found about similar issues with various suggestions, here:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance-winpc/windows-10-blank-dialog-boxes-plank-popup-menus/9fea39fe-f911-431b-8bb4-532820e8513d

Of which the most succinct is:

"Using the Display Driver Uninstaller and then installing the latest video drivers fixed it for me."

But there are other suggestions, depending on what hardware you have and what you're doing. Maybe some clues in there?

Notepad - bathtub tom
>>Is it always like this or does it come and go? Does it happen when text is selected, without >>selected text or both?
>>Or anything else you can think of which might trigger a thought.

It's permanent and happened after I printed a: "Shielding, no cold callers please" in the largest font, to stick on my front door. We had two sets of cold callers one afternoon.

I found it under windows accessories and uninstalled it. I now can't find it to instal. I see there's a WordPad. I may try it to see if it does the same thing.
 Notepad - smokie
You could try
Control Panel
Appearance and Personalisation
Fonts
Font Settings

and
1) check that the checkbox is unticked to hide stuff
2) Restore default font settings

But I've no idea if it will help...

WordPad is similar but not quite so basic, you can do a bit more with formatting etc.
 Notepad - tyrednemotional
>>
>> I found it under windows accessories and uninstalled it. I now can't find it to
>> instal. I see there's a WordPad. I may try it to see if it does
>> the same thing.
>>

If you're on a reasonably recent version of Win10, it (Notepad) can be found and (re-)installed from:

www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/windows-notepad/9msmlrh6lzf3?activetab=pivot:overviewtab#

...via the "GET" button.

(I tend to use Notepad++, which is very much more powerful, and also great at editing large files, but for simple stuff it is way OTT).
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Wed 23 Dec 20 at 16:54
 Notepad - bathtub tom
Thought I was getting somewhere then it came up with: "You don't have any applicable device(s) linked to your Microsoft account........................"

Think I may have given them the hump. I blocked all cookies on my hotmail account and now I can't open any messages. I get the message: "Your message can't be displayed right now".
...well, you could try the method defined here (down the page) under "How to use the Microsoft Store without a Microsoft account".

www.digitalcitizen.life/microsoft-store-without-microsoft-account/

If it isn't on a tile, "Microsoft Store" will be on the Start Menu.

Can't guarantee it will work if you have/have had an account and have borked it, but it's worth a try (I suspect it won't but it is easy to try).

Edited to add:

It appears that you can get that (or a similar) message if the version of Win10 is not up to date enough.
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Wed 23 Dec 20 at 17:24
As an alternative, though I couldn't find it before when looking, I've now confirmed it's an "optional feature".

I think that, even though you have uninstalled it, you should be able to re-install as follows (I can't test on mine since I'm not going to risk uninstalling it):

1. Open Settings.
2. Navigate to Apps > Apps & features.
3. Click on Optional features.
4. Click on Add a feature.
5. Select Notepad from the list of available features.
6. Click on the Install button.
7. This will install Notepad.

(Note, the instructions I found varied slightly from this, but this is how it appears on my Win10 installation - the principle will be the same for all versions).

Notepad - Zero
Sounds like the version of windows is not registered.
 Notepad - Kevin
I'd just install Notepad++.

There's no real learning curve if you don't want to use all the features but they're there if you want 'em.

I like it because it understands the syntax of most common languages including perl and python.
Latest Forum Posts