Computer Related > Whited-out Back & Forward arrows Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 17

Whited-out Back & Forward arrows - Ambo
Formerly, if I clicked on a link in a post I could get back to the original post by clicking the Back arrow.

Now, both arrows white out and the only way to get back to the post is to call up the site again. This happens on all sites, not just this one.

How can I cure the fault? I am using Edge but I get the same result with Internet Explorer.
 Whited-out Back & Forward arrows - Bromptonaut
Do you mean links from posts on this site or more generally?
I said all sites but can't now find another.

Apologies for not explaining fully but what actually happened formerly was that I would click X (top right) as for closing the window, and would then get a message asking if I wanted just to cut the link or the whole site.
 Whited-out Back & Forward arrows - VxFan
>> How can I cure the fault?

Not sure about curing it, but as a workaround you can use press the Alt & left arrow key to go back, and Alt & right arrow key to got forward. They do exactly the same as the forward/back arrow of your browser (i.e. keyboard shortcut)

On this particular forum you can use the arrows next to the time/date stamp of the post. The first one returns you to the home page of the forum page you're on. The second one takes you to the top of the page, and the third one takes you to the bottom of the page.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 23 Nov 20 at 13:06
 Whited-out Back & Forward arrows - No FM2R
If the Back/Forward arrows are blanked out then I suspect that somehow you are opening a new window to go into a post.

It's going to be very difficult to work out why/how that is happening. It could even be as simple as a stuck shift key on the keyboard.

Does it seem to be opening an additional window?

Whereas perhaps previously it was opening a new tab?

If you go into settings then there is a relevant "open links in new window or new tab" setting.

Which browser do you mostly use and I'll tell you where it is.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 23 Nov 20 at 13:17
It is also possible that you have checked/unchecked the "warn before closing all tabs" option. Or whatever it is exactly called.

Does that ring a bell?
>>It is also possible that you have checked/unchecked the "warn before closing all tabs" option. Or whatever it is exactly called.

>>Does that ring a bell?

I fear not and I can't find any warning message, neither do the Alt/arrow short cuts work.
For an example of the way the system fails me, take the Mobile Phones thread under Non-Motoring and CGNorwich's link to Techradar. I would like to check out all ten phones but can only do so in full detail one-by-one by closing the window and re-opening it from scratch. I can't switch reviews internally without doing this. The same problem occurs with all the other sites I have now tried.
Sorry Ambo, I don't know the answer.

I just tried using Edge and that site and everything works correctly for me.

I can only suggest things like removing any add-ons added recently, re-registering the app in the app store and stuff like that.

I think you might have to ask someone to look at it.
>> I can only suggest things like removing any add-ons added recently, re-registering the app in the app store and stuff like that.

Or try the repair option in Edge settings.

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/forum/edge_other-edge_win10/how-do-i-reset-my-settings-in-my-edge-browser-ver/b2771a11-70d5-407b-b7b6-b6c293f38ff9
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 25 Nov 20 at 12:46
 Whited-out Back & Forward arrows - smokie
Not sure if I'm missing the point but if you want to open a link in a new tab, right click it and say Open Link in New Tab. You would then be able to have the ten phone reviews open at the same time in your browser, albeit in different tabs.

(You could then get fancy and dislocate the tabs from the main browser window, resize them and look at them side by side - but not all 10, not even on my 28" screen!)

Err - now I think about it your original post is a bit like you may have opened it in a new tab, as you'd have not come from anywhere in that tab (cos it is new) hence no back button. You'd still have the forum list of posts in the tab to the left of that though, which would normally become the view after you close the new tab. That's the way I browse the forum - right click each New flag and open in a new tab, then close them as I've read the updates.
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 25 Nov 20 at 13:13
>> right click each New flag and open in a new tab,

Holding down the CTRL button and left clicking also does the same thing.

Holding down the SHIFT button opens in a new window, not a new tab.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 25 Nov 20 at 14:03
>>Which browser do you mostly use and I'll tell you where it is.

I mostly use Edge.
Hmmm, can't find it. While I look further then perhaps right-click on the link and select "Open in New Window" will do what you want.
It does indeed, thanks. Not quite so good but it will do nicely pro tem.
 Whited-out Back & Forward arrows - smokie
Ambo, did you see my more recent post further up (Wed 25 Nov 20 13:10) as I think it offered a similar solution but also answered what your perceived problem is.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 26 Nov 20 at 16:50
I did, thanks. Sorry not to have acknowledged it at the time.

"Open in new Tab" got no result but "Open in new Window" did.

I still don't know how the original facility disappeared but here are a lot of annoying niggles with this 10-year-old desktop. It holds the hand-me-down contents of its two predecessors and maybe I need a new one with a clean slate. I have in any case been thinking of switching to a laptop, for portability.

A new laptop is probably a very good idea.
Latest Forum Posts