Computer Related > Sky Broad Band - Useless XXXXXXX! Computing Issues
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 34

Sky Broad Band - Useless XXXXXXX! - zippy
Mrs Z is responsible for TV and broadband.

She got a great offer from them for Sky TV and fibre and signed up.

Supposed to have gone live on Friday, which it did.

Unfortunately no router arrived and you can't talk to anyone at Sky.

They refuse to talk to anyone unless you are in the Govt. vulnerable group or a key worker.

So you can't tell them that their product doesn't work. Useless bunch of xxxxxxxxxx!

Last edited by: zippy on Sat 13 Jun 20 at 19:50
 Sky Broad Band - Useless XXXXXXX! - bathtub tom
Probably not completely fair to blame Sky, you do realise the post is taking a few more days? We no longer get a Saturday delivery.
 Sky Broad Band - Useless XXXXXXX! - tyrednemotional
Their website doesn't show a contact number at the moment, but I assume you have one.

Given that the details on the website say "We’re currently only able to deal with calls from our vulnerable customers, key workers and customers unable to access their Sky services, so please don’t contact us." I think I would be persevering if the router doesn't turn up soon.

(Even if it didn't have the bit in bold, I'd still be haranguing them).

>>(Even if it didn't have the bit in bold, I'd still be haranguing them).

I did and have just got off the phone after lying about my status.

A router has not been ordered for us!

They can't order one until Monday. It will take 4 days to get here from Monday. They cannot expedite it.

Working from home is going to be great without broadband. Not impressed so far.

Sky Broad Band - Useless XXXXXXX! - Zero
Lets be honest, now is a really stupid time to do anything major like change your broadband. Tell Mrs Z she needs a slap.
 Sky Broad Band - Useless XXXXXXX! - Falkirk Bairn
When my BB goes down I log into next door's & Vice Versa.
 Sky Broad Band - Useless XXXXXXX! - VxFan
When asked if you're a key worker, say yes, and tell them you work at Timpson's.

I'll get me coat.
>> When asked if you're a key worker, say yes, and tell them you work at
>> Timpson's.

Their workers have been locked out.
...that's cobblers....
 Sky Broad Band - Useless XXXXXXX! - No FM2R
When my broadband goes out I turn on my phone as a hotspot.

Not much noticeable difference on one computer, not any good for the whole house of course.
>> When my broadband goes out I turn on my phone as a hotspot.
>>
>> Not much noticeable difference on one computer, not any good for the whole house of
>> course.
>>

That’s how I am coping now.

Got a 90gb. monthly allowance but it’s nowhere near the speed of fibre here.
The speed from my phone as a hotspot is anywhere between 38mbps and 54mbps depending on I know not what.

I don't need anything like that for work and I can remember not so very long ago working with a great deal less quite happily. 2mbps, if I remember correctly.

Though I do have unlimited data which makes life easier.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 13 Jun 20 at 22:06
Just been checking the hub provided by the current provider.

It seems that they are locked to the provider - there is no option to change connection password or usernames.

Seeing it will be effectively the same service, just with a different provider, it seems such a waste.
 Sky Broad Band - Useless XXXXXXX! - VxFan
>> It seems that they are locked to the provider - there is no option to change connection password or usernames.

Someone would have cracked that by now.

Have you had a look on You Tube, done a Google search, etc?
>> Just been checking the hub provided by the current provider.
>>
>> It seems that they are locked to the provider - there is no option to
>> change connection password or usernames.
>>

It's one of the reasons I elect to buy and use a third-party router (and refuse the ISP's offering if it is chargeable).

I've been through several ISPs with an ADSL router, leaving all settings (including the wireless network name) asis except for the LAN logon details for the different ISP.

Careful choice of router generally gives an option of better performance and facilities that the ISP's basic box.

Moving from ADSL to fibre required a new router (well, technically it required a new modem, but it was no more expensive to go the whole hog). The old ADSL router is now connected via ethernet and configured as an additional wireless access point and wired hub for all the "entertainment" in the lounge.

It's easier to stick with the supplied router if you've taken entertainment that's delivered over it (e.g Virgin Media TV etc) but most reputable third party routers will configure to UK ISP's settings via a wizard nowadays.
I guess it's just me, but I simply could not be a***d with all that effort.

Part of what I am paying for is the service. So they can deliver what they promised, at the service levels they promised, when they promised or I pay less.

Why on earth I would buy a dog and then bark myself to improve the dog's performance is quite beyond me.

In the UK I do, from time to time, make a reduction on a bill and send them the reasons why. I've received the occasional bit of pushback but never been seriously challenged.

But honestly, I pretty much get the service promised most of the time, whatever the type of service.

I guess I'm either luckier or have lower expectations [not likely].

>> I guess it's just me, but I simply could not be a***d with all that
>> effort.
>>

If that's a reply to me, then I'm not sure I follow your logic (particularly "all that effort").

I pay a one-off cost to buy a router with better functionality and performance than the ISP's.

The basic set-up for that router is the same effort as for the bundled one (excepting the additional functions I use that aren't available on the ISP's).

Once set up, I can change ISP, retain the same router, and change only two values, Wan username and password, and the router functions exactly as it did, with no change of other setting.

Substituting a new ISP's router would require a multitude of settings to be re-input, some of which would not exist and others would be implemented in entirely different ways.

Firewall, Port Forwarding, Mac Filtering DHCP and static address allocation, exposure to the web, DNS settings, etc, etc. (In my case that could be several hundred values).

Changing two and knowing it's been tested and will deliver the same functionality seems rather better to me.

YMMV
I have virgin cable. There is no alternative to using the supplied hub, You can however switch it into modem mode and then connect your hub of choice to it.

Too late to add, the supplied hub is pretty useless, function and features wise, which is why a lot of people cripple it and add a fully featured hub.
>>If that's a reply to me

Not particularly, I was more thinking of the hassle involved with Dave's point about cracking a router. But it was just a meandering point.

In any case I began pretty clearly with "I guess it's just me...." I wasn't really seeking to pass comment on what anybody else likes doing.

As for the rest of your post then from my point of view I am not sure about any multitude of settings. WiFi password is the only one I ever touch. Everything else seems to sort itself out well enough.

You may well be correct about router performance, but I already have more than I know what to do with, I don't need or have any desire to eke out the last little bit.

But hey, whatever works for whoever. I'm just all for the path which requires me to do nothing. No reason for anybody else to agree or do the same.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 14 Jun 20 at 21:51
Popped around to Mum and Dad this afternoon with some supplies.

Noticed that some of the pavements in their road have been dug up and some are still open.

New tubing is in place marked Morrison Data Services.

Checked with them and they have been told its GIGABIT fibre to the premises.

I'm jealous. Its a cul-de-sac full of retirees. What will they need FTTP for?

I doubt I'll ever get it here. Its an unmade road so the telecoms co will need to go to each home owner to get permission to dig trenches across their bit.
 Sky Broad Band - Useless XXXXXXX! - smokie
All the retirees round me are streaming, zooming and social networking, some are even gaming. And they are there for more hours than many workers usually would be. That probably takes as much if not more bandwidth than some desk jockey shuffling a few spreadsheets and word docs up and down.
Netflix, Prime and whatever must be a huge drain
 Sky Broad Band - Useless XXXXXXX! - legacylad
In my social circle of retired pals I don’t know a single one who games, and none subscribe to Netflix or similar. Having said that none are in the vulnerable category. Ever since late March we’ve all been out doing stuff. The super fit ones, in their 60s and 70s, have had alternate days on bikes rides ( 80-110 miles is de rigeur) rock climbing on local crags, mountain biking and walking.
Out here in the sticks lockdown for us didn’t really happen...the joys of living in sparsely occupied countryside.
Evening soirées several times a week meeting up with friends to take light refreshment either in a garden, on the golf course or out of the way places a short walk away to enjoy the evening sun.
Fortunately our health allows it....my Thursday walking group did a weekly one hour virtual pub zoom meeting thing, but I didn’t participate. I was out walking!
No chance of fast BB where I live. Not bothered either.
>>In my social circle of retired pals I don't know a single one who games, and none subscribe to Netflix or similar.

I have Netflix & Amazon Prime. t's not that I watch much television, it's just that when I do watch it I want to watch something decent, not the usual scheduled old crap.

Though since we've been in quarantine both are getting used a great deal more than they used to.

I dream of walking outside. The COVID-19 figures in Chile are continuallly getting worse so I can't see them releasing quarantine anytime soon.

On-line gaming is not my thing, though I think both girls do.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 15 Jun 20 at 07:42
No FM2R...you’ve previously mentioned driving somewhere for some camping and fishing. Presumably that kind of travel is out of bounds ?

My walking friends in Spain have been severely restricted.....it’s only a short drive inland to some great hill walking, so not too remote, but still far from the madding crowds. Until recently they’ve not been allowed, and even as things eased outdoor exercise times were allotted for different age groups. It seems daft that you couldn’t drive inland, meet friends at a pre arranged spot, then spend all day walking. Great for both the physical and mental health...just you and a few pals. It’s quiet at the busiest of times on the Marina Alta.

Personally I haven’t ventured up to the Lake District yet....lots of great walking from home, or just a short drive, although the LD is less than an hour. Tomorrow it’s a 16m circular with friends around the Forest of Bowland, Thursday in upper Wharfedale over Gt Whernside and Buckden Pike.

Decluttering, Spring Cleaning and decorating in between. Thank gawd I’m retired.
>>No FM2R...you've previously mentioned driving somewhere for some camping and fishing. Presumably that kind of travel is out of bounds ?

If you wish to step foot out of your house then you have to log onto the local military police website with your ID number and request a "permiso". I think there are 8 different reasons each with an alloted period of time which starts counting at the moment you apply.

e.g. if it is a medical appointment then you have to give doctor's name, hospital address, appointment time and you've got three hours.

There's military & carabinero checkpoints everywhere and you really don't want to get caught out and about without a permiso.

You need a different and additional permission if you want to move between two towns and a third (and almost impossible to get) permission if you want to be out between 10pm and 5am.
Jeez that sounds horrendous. Ever since I returned from Spain late March I’ve been out walking every day....often not until evening then home as the sun sets.

I’ve been busy all day helping an elderly relative, arrived home 6ish, quick bacon sandwich then out at 7pm. Several miles in the evening sun, returned home 20 mins ago with a rucsac full of logs !
Dont know we’re born living round here. Beer o’clock now...Oakham Green Devil @6%. 3 for £5 at Booths ( I cleared the shelves again this AM)
>>Jeez that sounds horrendous

It is, and it's been well over a month. Before that we just had sort of lockdown for 6 weeks where everything was closed and you weren't allowed out after dark or between cities.

Today they extended the State of Exception for another 90 days and I cannot see that they have any choice but to extend the quarantine when it expires next week.

The figures are increasingly bad and getting worse every day.

Probably the highest case per million in the world, and ridiculous figures abounding..
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 15 Jun 20 at 23:19
Mark, I know its been said before, but its worth saying again. I hope you and yours keep safe and well down there.

I appreciate it, Zippy, Thank you.

Unless I catch *it*, the situation is more irritating than dangerous. I live in a house rather than an apartment building and most things can be delivered. So I have no need to encounter the virus. Not a good time to need hospital treatment, though fortunately the higher end clinics (private hospitals) are doing much better than some others. If for no other reason than they're too damned expensive for most people.

I look forward to being able to get out for a walk. One day.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 16 Jun 20 at 00:43
Hmm, I have prime that I pay for, Netflix and Sky that I dont, and most American tv and cable for a small fee and most feature films within a month of release.

My throughput is about 250gb month.

"most American tv and cable for a small fee"

Ooo how much do they pay you, and do you actually have to watch the garbage they show to earn it?

:-)

(I have recently binged a few American dramas and they are in general pretty awful compared to European stuff - my particular dislike is the seemingly continual background music.)
>> "most American tv and cable for a small fee"
>>
>> Ooo how much do they pay you, and do you actually have to watch the
>> garbage they show to earn it?
>>
>> :-)

I know you are a cheapskate, and if forced to pay for anything you are going to try and get your monies worth, but One is not forced to watch all of it you know. And you forget the sport.

Yep, I am a cheap skate and I adore getting value for money. Doesn't everyone?

I have been trying American drama recently and a few series have been OK (early Homeland and early Designated Survivor series spring to mind) but mostly they don't come close to UK and Euro stuff.

We share Netflix account and costs with the eldest but rarely watch much on it. SWMBO has AMazon TV with her Prime but I can't remember needing to ever look at it.

It's a bit annoying that I can't see F1 on free to air, and I enjoy some rugby and even the occasional football competition but in general I don't watch much sport.

Virgin cen deliver a quite vast amount of telly but we still find probably 75% of our viewing is BBC1 or BBC2 (and we don't usually watch swotty stuff like documentaries but we enjoy Only Connect and Universally Challenged)

OTOH I do like a technical "challenge" so my Firestick (when it was working) was filled with all sorts of channels from around the world. However as usual it was just me messing with it, and it hasn't ever been plugged into our telly that I recall.

I do download the odd movie torrent (maybe 1 per month) but mainly for SWMBO as I hardly watch any movies.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 15 Jun 20 at 16:11
Latest Forum Posts