Computer Related > Cheap webcam Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 12

Cheap webcam - Rudedog
I got invited to my first work Zoom meeting this afternoon…. complete waste of time as my work PC doesn’t have a camera or mic (interesting to see how many of the other participants keep worrying how they look).. all I need is a recommendation for a cheapish USB webcam for maybe under £15.

A quick search brings up loads so I just wanted a pointer on any reasonable brands or ones to avoid.

Cheap webcam - Zero
Plenty of good ones for not much money.

Getting hold of them this side of xmas is an issue tho, everyone and his aunt is zooming, and webcams are the toilet rolls in the hi tech supply chain.

Anything branded by microsoft or logitech around the 30 quid mark.

How about using your smartphone? that has all you need.
 Cheap webcam - smokie
He's right you know, usually cheap webcams are not particularly good resolution and don't manage lighting changes very well whereas your average smartphone often does a better job.

Just had a gander at eBay and none of the ones under £15 really stand out (and be careful they aren't coming from China, which would take weeks), and you need to be sure that whatever you get supports Windows 10 because many are older and do not, at least without a lot of faffing around.

If you have an Argos nearby they have a Trust one for £10 which you could always take back if you don't like it.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 2 Jun 20 at 17:10
 Cheap webcam - VxFan
>> How about using your smartphone? that has all you need.

Can be heavy on battery juice though. Have a power bank with you if you're not near a mains socket.
 Cheap webcam - Rudedog
Thanks, really wanted to keep work stuff off of my personal phone.

Maybe just go for a microphone, from what I've seen today seeing there doesn't seem to be any advantage in having the camera, as long as I can ask questions and hear the replies then for now that should be ok.

This could become the 'norm' rather than face to face meetings, if so then I'll ask the IT department if they should be supplying equipment to the staff without access to a laptop.

Just on deliveries... I've received all of my Ebay items within the week, the most I've waited for 'in-stock items' is 10 days.

Last edited by: Rudedog on Tue 2 Jun 20 at 21:41
 Cheap webcam - zippy
Would recommend a web cam over just a microphone, especially if others will be on video.

There is a real advantage is seeing body language on video and if you are not, people may listen to you more, but it may be harder to get attention IYSWIM.
 Cheap webcam - Zero

>> There is a real advantage is seeing body language on video and if you are
>> not, people may listen to you more, but it may be harder to get attention
>> IYSWIM.

As the zipster says, thats just like having a conference phone call on your own
 Cheap webcam - No FM2R
>> from what I've seen today seeing there doesn't seem to be any advantage in having the camera

You need to look at it the other way around.

You are certainly correct that there is little advantage for you in being on video. However, there is disadvantage in that at best it will minimise your involvement as far as others are concerned and at worst may even cause resentment.

It's always better to confirm at work unless there is a real advantage in not doing so.
 Cheap webcam - John Boy
If you're going to use video I think it's worth doing properly. I enjoy watching Press Preview on Sky News and The Papers on BBC News where a presenter gets two journalists to comment on the news of the day. Since lockdown the journalists have been at home using their laptops to participate. Some of them have shown how not to do it - stuttering video, appalling sound and, easiest to get right, cluttered backgrounds. Radio6 presenters have also been working from home and the sound quality of their contributions often compares badly to that in a BBC studio. Lauren Laverne, for instance, has sounded like a different person.
 Cheap webcam - Rudedog
Had a quick look on Ebay and there are a few good old stock webcams (Microsoft) that I might have punt on or a couple used ones where people have upgraded.

Cheap webcam - smokie
Make sure they are Windows 10 compatible, if that's what you are using. Some devices won't work.
 Cheap webcam - VxFan
>> Make sure they are Windows 10 compatible, if that's what you are using. Some devices
>> won't work.

I found an old Woolworths webcam in the back of a cupboard the other day.
Yep, can't get it to work with Win 10 ;) Even found some drivers for it as well, but still to no avail.
 Cheap webcam - Rudedog
Thanks, before I went to bid I checked with the Trusts IT department, turns out it's against our policy to connect up webcams so I saved myself some money on something I couldn't use..

So now I have to sit through online meetings without being able to join in apart from the web-chat which is next to useless in a fast moving busy meeting.

Latest Forum Posts