wow
its good
 Google Instant - smokie
Yeah, I like it...
 Google Instant - Iffy
In answer to the obvious question, here's a page that comes up quite quickly:

www.google.com/instant/#utm_campaign=launch&utm_medium=van&utm_source=instant
 Google Instant - rtj70
It will waste bandwidth though. And Google was originally popular because of the minimalistic search page. Now it will be displaying search results as you type. Not sure that's a bonus.
 Google Instant - Zero
No, what it displays as you type is sponsored hits and those it wants you to visit.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Sep 10 at 09:54
 Google Instant - Mapmaker
Google instant has been around for ages? I see no change in what is on my computer this morning to what I have been using for several weeks. It impresses me, sometimes it knows what I'm looking for better than I do myself - particularly if I've used the same search recently.
 Google Instant - rtj70
Google has guessed what you might be typing for ages. Google Instant goes one step further and starts displaying the results page as you type. Which to me is a waste of bandwidth.
 Google Instant - Mapmaker
Ah.

Google instant not working for me - and yes I am logged in.
 Google Instant - smokie
Hardly a waste of bandwidth, especially in your case when you must have so much to spare...:-)

Anything predictive is a bonus. I remember coding database stuff ages ago which presented a list of records on a screen. The Big Want then was the pre-fetch of the records for the next page, so when you did next page the results were cached and presented instantly (relatively) rather than restarting the search and working out the first record for page 2, as so many products did at that time. DLLs are largely cached just in case they are needed. At processor level, commands are pre-fetched to improve throughout. I can't see the bandwidth overhead is enough to worry about these days for most.
 Google Instant - smokie
Talking of Google Instant, has anyone who has a Google account (i.e. who can take advantage of it) found the way round it fixing your number of displayed results to 10 (instead of the 100 I'm used to, what with my big bandwidth)
 Google Instant - FotheringtonTomas
>> Anything predictive is a bonus.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=2740&m=53904&v=e
 Google Instant - smokie
Yeah but that's not true. Maybe if you are searching for a corporate or something, but just try a bit of a random search and you'll see that it's not at all like Zero says.
 Google Instant - Dulwich Estate
>> Anything predictive is a bonus.

What ! Predicts lottery numbers and the bonus.
 Google Instant - Roger.
I don't let Google snoop (too much!)
With Firefox, here is the add-on to control the thing!

www.optimizegoogle.com/
 Google Instant - rtj70
>> Hardly a waste of bandwidth, especially in your case when you must have so much to spare...:-)

I freely give up 512Kbs all the time to BT Fon. Not taken advantage yet of using a BT Openzone or Fon hotspot anywhere for free yet.... so anyone driving past my house can connect over Fon or BT Openzone if you have an account. I've tried it from home and I got 512Kbs download and 1Mbit/s upload! Assuming zero has not nobbled my street cabinet ;-)
 Google Instant - Crankcase
Takes a different mindset to use this feature, and I don't have it.

It's noticeably slower for me to type what I want rechecking the page every keystroke to see if my result has appeared than it is to simply bash out the complete search string. All it saves me is pressing return at the end.

Not useful for me or the way I work.
 Google Instant - FotheringtonTomas
I agree with Crankcase. The update isn't worth much at all.

Edit: If anything.
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Tue 14 Sep 10 at 09:51
 Google Instant - CGNorwich
If you want to see the latest efforts in predictive writing go to Google Scribe which predicts the next word that you intend to type

scribe.googlelabs.com/

Not sure how useful it will be but fun to play around with
 Google Instant - Tooslow
As someone who has predictive text switched off on my mobile 'cos it just drives me nuts, you can imagine how I feel about that! :-)

John
 Google Instant - Crankcase
Typed the first few digits of pi in. Got:

3.-The distribution function has a simple 5 minute preview of next 9 hours and 4 hours.

What larks.

Latest Forum Posts