Computer Related > Parental/other computer support problems? Look!! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 15

Parental/other computer support problems? Look!! - FotheringtonTomas
I sometimes try to "sort out" problems my old pater sometimes has. Using just the telephone can be frustrating. A picture paints a thousand words, so toddle along to:

www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

and download a *free* (for non-commercial use, relatively cheap for commercial use) tool to view remote computer screens. It needs to be installed/run on both systems, for simplicity in "Run", not "Install" mode.

It will show you exactly what is going on at the far end. Very useful indeed.
 Parental/other computer support problems? Look!! - Iffy
...It will show you exactly what is going on at the far end. Very useful indeed...

Standard feature on Vista Home Premium, and presumably 7 as well.

I find MS stuff as frustrating as anybody at times, but it's surprising what's there if you know where to look.

Parental/other computer support problems? Look!! - Zero
yer you dont need this product- the feature is within windows.
XP home?
>> XP home?

Ah no - XP professional. Have you tried it over the public net tho? really slow and frustrating, not very stable, and youy feel like throwing your screen through the window and driving round there
 Parental/other computer support problems? Look!! - teabelly
The windows built in one doesn't work without beggering about with the firewall even on the same subnet so it would be a right pain to try and make it work remotely. The teamviewer app just works without any fuss and without messing with router settings or anything else. You just enter the number in the support side that the client side shows to do the authorization.

>> The windows built in one doesn't work without beggering about with the firewall even on
>> the same subnet

never had that problem, just type in the ip address
But we know nothing of Vista Home Premium, or 7. In this respect, change would be counter-productive.
 Parental/other computer support problems? Look!! - BobbyG
At work we have recently installed logmein onto 13 remote computers and it has proved to be an absolute godsend as these users have a very limited computer knowledge.
I hope you are not their technical support bobby!

;)
 Parental/other computer support problems? Look!! - BobbyG
I am! But it is a till program its running and I am quite good with it. But if ALT F4 or reboot doesnt work then its over to the help desk . . .
 Parental/other computer support problems? Look!! - spamcan61
I used teamviewer to fix home PCs from work a couple of times in the past, seemed to work fine provided you can fix the problem in the 5minutes (IIRC) the freebie version gave you.

Must admit I've nver used the Windows equivalent although I was aware of its existence.

Come to think of it there are a few Windows XP Home features that many Windows users aren't aware of that are quite useful and don't require any 3rd party software. (apologies if everyone else on C4P uses all of these on a daily basis!)

Burning CDs.

Printing photos (single or multiple per page)

Sorting music files in Windows explorer by artist / codec / album etc.

Sorting images in Windows explorer by camera / date photo taken etc.
 Parental/other computer support problems? Look!! - devonite
>>provided you can fix the problem in the 5minutes (IIRC) the freebie version gave you.

i`ve never seen this(prog) before and think it might be a useful utility for me, so am quite interested in it!
looking through thier site, i can find no mention of a 5 minute limit, the free home version "appears" to be fully functional in that respect, i think there are other features that may be disabled tho`.
I did try the "Demo" version, (where you connect to thier test server) and this was restricted time-wise to 5mins, maybe thats what you remember?
I used it yesterday - in "run", not install mode. Execute the programme, select usage type "run", accept, off you go! Great! No faffing around to do at all.

I connected to a remote system, and there was no discernable "lag" or slowness. It's possible for either end to control the remote machine.

I then got the remote machine to connect to mine - it can't handle a two-way setup though, and goes rapidly around in ever-decreasing concentric rectangles until it disappears up its' own orifice.
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Wed 8 Sep 10 at 10:18
 Parental/other computer support problems? Look!! - Netsur
I use LogMeIn to do this and it is pretty good. Certainly enables me to check my business e-mails remotely when I need something better than my Blackberry.
 Parental/other computer support problems? Look!! - spamcan61
>> >>provided you can fix the problem in the 5minutes (IIRC) the freebie version gave you.
>>
It is quite a while since I've used it, looks like they've removed the time limit .
Latest Forum Posts