Computer Related > ID remembered by websites - how to stop Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 6

ID remembered by websites - how to stop - Dulwich Estate
For a while now, maybe coincidental to using the Opera browser but I'm not sure, I am being welcomed to Amazon and other sites I have registered with or bought from by them quoting my name. Some then remind me what I have bought before and so on.

I don't like this and although I can't stop these shops storing my information I really don't like being reminded when I simply click on to the site. I have deleted cookies and history but the greetings from stores are still there. Do they detect my IP address ?

Any way to stop this recent phenomenon?
 ID remembered by websites - how to stop - FocalPoint
I use Opera and do Tools > Delete Private Data every evening before shut-down. I don't get greeted by name on Amazon etc. until I have logged on again.

However, ASFAIK, deleting private data includes cookies and I would have thought that it was indeed the cookies that were responsible for your problem.

Perhaps someone more expert than me can advise.
Last edited by: ChrisPeugeot on Wed 1 Sep 10 at 16:09
 ID remembered by websites - how to stop - Tooslow
D, two things to consider;
1. log off your Amazon account when you're done with it. Go to "Your Account" on top right and click. That should achieve you desired aim but if you want to go further;
2. Set ccleaner to run on start up and / or your browser to delete cookies, not autofill and so on.

JH
 ID remembered by websites - how to stop - Dulwich Estate
Thank you ChrisP.

Using whatever is available in XP - Control panel - Internet Options - Delete cookies and so on does not remove them. Strange.

But going to Opera Tools and deleting Private Data has done the trick.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Wed 1 Sep 10 at 18:30
 ID remembered by websites - how to stop - FocalPoint
Ah - now I get you.

Control Panel > Internet Options > Delete etc will clear cookies from Internet Explorer, but not Opera. Using CCleaner (as mentioned above) will clear both.

In fact, I do the Opera Tools thing and CC as well, since the latter gets rid of more unwanted stuff. However, it's really unnecessary to do Opera Tools etc as well as CC.
 ID remembered by websites - how to stop - Perky Penguin
Another programme that seems to do a very 'deep' clean is Comodo. I am clearing over 5000 items a week with it.
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Fri 3 Sep 10 at 09:21
 ID remembered by websites - how to stop - Stuartli
>>I am clearing over 5000 items a week with it.>>

Might be nothing left shortly...:-))

One other possibility is to Disable AutoComplete in your browser.
Latest Forum Posts