Computer Related > smells of Phish ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 6

smells of Phish ? - borasport
I've just received this email, purportedly from Amazon

We have received a request to verify that the e-mail address nnnnn*nnnnn belongs to you. Please click on the link below to complete the verification process.

Please confirm your e-mail address to continue.

Once you have verified your e-mail address, you will be subscribed to:

•Amazon Associates Programme Updates
•Associates Programme Feedback
•Promotions for Associates
•Merchandising Tips
•Newsletter Highlights
•aStore News
Alternatively, you can type or paste the following link into your Web browser:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/gss/???????????????

It arrived just after i'd posted a review on Amazon. It is addressed to the email address I use uniquely for amazon, I am a member of Amazon's associates program, but it doesn't mention my user name anywhere.

Should I just push it away with my bargepole ?
 smells of Phish ? - Tooslow
b
sounds fishy. "received a request". Who from? How will you validate that you own this email address? After all, you've received it and you would be replying with it. I think there will be questions as you go through that get a bit scary!

I've not received one ref my Amazon account, though I've not posted a review recently and I'm not a member of the associate program (whatever that is).

As I recall Amazon are quite difficult to get hold of. All of their "Contact us" links take you round in circles with none of them offering you the opportunity to email them. You could try chasing your tail and find some way of emailng them. Otherwise I'd ignore it. Did your review get posted?

JH
Last edited by: Tooslow on Fri 20 Aug 10 at 11:42
 smells of Phish ? - FotheringtonTomas
If in doubt, forward it to the Amazon for comment.
 smells of Phish ? - Stuartli
See:

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=15340571

www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=15835501

www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=15836841
 smells of Phish ? - John H
borasport, Why do you think it is a phishing email?

Did you comment/review
www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-What-Says-about/dp/0713999322 ?

As Stuarlti's links point out "Genuine Amazon.co.uk URLs always begin with www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.co.uk or s1.amazon.co.uk.
We never use a combination such as "security-amazon.co.uk" or "amazon.com.biz".
Some phishing e-mails include website addresses that look as though they take you to Your Account, but really take you to a completely different website. If you hover over the link you often can see the underlying URL, either as a pop-up or as information in the browser status bar."

Last edited by: John H on Fri 20 Aug 10 at 15:15
 smells of Phish ? - borasport
>> borasport, Why do you think it is a phishing email?

apart from the email address it was sent to, there is nothing to relate it to me - every other email I have from amazon has my name in it somewhere and i've ordered stuff from them as recently as this week so I can't see any need to verify an email address

>> Did you comment/review
>> www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-What-Says-about/dp/0713999322 ?
>>
No - I reviewed a book with the subtitle 'affordable alternatives to motorway service stations' - I don't call a restaurant where I'd expect to pay £50 a head to be any sort of alternative to a motorway service station
 smells of Phish ? - Telb
I'd have thought that if you hover your cursor over the link the url will appear in the bottom left of your screen. If this is anything other than a genuine amazon url, it's bargepole time.
Latest Forum Posts