Computer Related > Talk Talk Outages Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 12

Talk Talk Outages - Pat
For the last 3 weeks Talk Talk have had a problem in Cambridgeshire and most of East Anglia with at least 3 major outages.

In our village and surrounding ones , we think it is due to Virgin installing cables but of course we have no proof.

The problem is Talk Talk insist they haven't a problem.

Once they know I use a Nighhawk Netgear Router, instead of one of their own they simply blame the router.

I reported there was no broadband at 01.30 today. I spent 40 minutes on the phone re-booting, re-setting and finally being told to unplug and wait for 30 minutes before plugging the router back in.....still no broadband.

I had a text at 5am to say the broadband problem had been resolved and all was up and running....it wasn't.

At 7am I rang again and spent 1hour 25 minutes on the phone doing all the things we had done before and then they realised I had a Netgear router, which they told me wasn't suitable for Fibre and it was faulty.

Not having any access to the internet to check, I almost believed them and did various checks of my own before ordering a new router from Argos which has just been delivered.

An hour ago I decided to get my lappy out and noticed BT with fon and paid £6.95 for 24 hours access as I had time critical work uploads to do today.

After work was completed I went on the 'Is it down' website and found that the whole of Cambridgeshire had been down since the early hours of today again, and they were reporting it had been restored at 10.52 today. I went on the TT Community forums and found numerous posts from people in local villages to me, as well as my own who have had the same problem and been told repeatedly 'there is no problem'.

I rang yet again and they have now agreed that some of us still have a problem and it looks like it will be at least 3 hours before it's restored.

We were off most of Sunday as well and today has been a totally wasted, and expensive day trying to solve a problem that I haven't got in the first place.

To make matters worse I can only get a phone signal and mobile data in the house with the use of Vodafone's Sure Signal.....which needs an internet connection to work.

Why can't they just say 'Yes, we have a problem, we are very sorry and will have it restored asap'

That's all it needs.

Pat
 Talk Talk Outages - smokie
It must be coincidence but we had a rare Virgin outage this morning. I think it went in the early hours (like 01:00) and it was about about 8:30 by the time I called them.

I used the landline, and the recorded system asked me to press 1 to confirm that I was calling from the place where the problem was, then played a recorded message saying broadband was down and should be back by 11:55. It wasn't, so I called again about midday and the time had changed to 16:05. But it all came back to life around 13:00 and has been OK since.

I've not had many problems in the many years with Virgin, and they have usually been reasonably prompt at fixing and usually (not always) good with their customer info. I know not all Virgin areas have been so lucky...
 Talk Talk Outages - Pat
They've alienated themselves locally Smokie, by leaving the pavements so uneven and dangerous after installing the cables.

I pity the sales reps who are going round trying to sell it to us at the moment!

Pat
 Talk Talk Outages - Stuartli
This is the TalkTalk Service Status page, which mentions the Cambridgeshire problem (not clear if you went to this page or the community pages themselves):

community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Service-Status-Dashboard/bd-p/service
 Talk Talk Outages - Pat
Thanks Stuartli

I've been to both now but they still insist is my Netgear Nighhawk Router!

Any port in a storm.

My problem is that with no phone signal in the house I can't check that when it's down but now I've found BTwithFon I can at least get online to find out what's happening.

At least Argos have a 30 day no quibble return policy!

Pat

PS Just re-booted again but still off.
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 19 Sep 17 at 18:03
 Talk Talk Outages - smokie
Have you got your original router and did i used to work, if so stick it in and see if it works, and report the problem against that

A quick Google did throw up some problems with the one you've bought, as in making sure it's properly configured.
 Talk Talk Outages - Mike H
My father is with Talk Talk in Portsmouth, and he's also had at least two outages recently, the most recent yesterday when I tried to Skype him. Perhaps they are having some issues with their national systems.
 Talk Talk Outages - rtj70
Like Smokie I'd suggest plugging in the original TT router. Yes I know it was an unreliable piece of junk but then they cannot go down the 'router is broken and not supported route'.

They do say TT is good until things go wrong and then the service is found to be wanting. But it's cheaper for a reason.

Just checking but the Netgear router has built in VDSL modem doesn't it? You're not using a separate Openreach VDSL modem are you?

Also worth checking what BT Openreach/Infinity is reporting in the area because TT is simply reselling BT Openreach Fibre to the Cabinet just like Sky, Vodafone, etc.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 19 Sep 17 at 22:39
On this page: btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status/

Lots of places reported with problems on BT at 8:54am today. Some due to be fixed today and some not until Friday!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 19 Sep 17 at 22:43
 Talk Talk Outages - Pat
Yes, my router does have a built in modem and I sent the old Talk Talk one to Alanovic when he needed one some time back!

Still no internet here at 01.30 today and after calling Talk Talk again to report it still not back on I'm told we are having problems with 'maintenance work on our systems' so can't run any tests, ring back at 8am'

Yesterday they insisted upon sending me out a new router which will be here today so at least I can follow your advice later Smokie.

I have no idea what this BT with fon is that I'm using.....does anyone know?

Pat
 Talk Talk Outages - Pat
Mysteriously at 06.50 the internet returns!

So, maybe it wasn't the router at all then?:)

How long for this time I wonder.

Pat
>> I have no idea what this BT with fon is that I'm using.....does anyone know?

BT FON is WiFi hotspots which make use of BT's customer's WiFi routers/modems. They create a public hotspot that FON customers can use for free. You can choose to opt out.

For itself is a company doing this with members offering up some of their bandwidth and BT has built this into their WiFi routers.

Keep the TT router (don't use it) so you can plugin if the Internet fails for you again.
 Talk Talk Outages - Pat
>>
BT FON is WiFi hotspots which make use of BT's customer's WiFi routers/modems<<

That explains it then. Neighbours on either side of me are both on BT.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts