Computer Related > Wireless connection of computer to hifi/TV Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 6

Wireless connection of computer to hifi/TV - Mike H
Someone mentioned to me some sort of device that was fairly cheap (around £50?) that would enable wireless connection of my laptop to the rest of the home entertainment gizmos, sort of like a lightweight home multimedia centre. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but I seem to recall it was made by Apple and originally designed for Macs put works with PCs. Sorry to be vague!

It has been brought back to mind by trying to connect my laptop to the amplifier via a mini-jack to phono adapter, which wasn't very successful as it resulted in a poor quality sound with backgound noise - I suspect it's an impedance issue.

If someone can suggest a cheap and cheerful way to resolve the latter instead I'd be just as grateful. TIA.
 Wireless connection of computer to hifi/TV - rtj70
Are you referring to the Airport Express wireless device which has a line out and can stream music from iTunes?

store.apple.com/uk/product/MB321B/A/AirPort-Express-AirTunes?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg&mco=MTA4NTc4MTE
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 17 Aug 10 at 17:08
Mmm, sounds like it could be, although I'm not interested in iTunes, I just want to be able to stream any audio through to my amplifier. I notice that this also has a minijack as audio output, so I can see the same problem (of possibly mismatched impedance) happening.
 Wireless connection of computer to hifi/TV - Bellboy
cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-4G-1W-Video-Audio-Sender-AV-Transmitter-Receiver-TP23-/190431931930?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_WirelessVideoTransmitters_CA

i dont think you have an impedance problem i think you have the volume on your laptop too high

Last edited by: Bellboy on Tue 17 Aug 10 at 18:40

>> i dont think you have an impedance problem i think you have the volume on
>> your laptop too high

Tried putting the sound to 0 on the computer, no difference - still crackling & high pitched noise.
 Wireless connection of computer to hifi/TV - rtj70
Is this a line-out connection or headphones? I know a lot of laptops combine the audio-out sockets for a optical audio out too. I know mine does (well not tried it though).
Headphones...I'm guessing this is the problem?
Latest Forum Posts