Computer Related > Only allow one copy of a program to run? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: The Nut Replies: 10

Only allow one copy of a program to run? - The Nut
Is there any way to only allow one copy of a program to run at once on Windows XP? The problem is my son keeps clicking on the game he wants to play until it starts so ends up with 5 or 6 copies giving a nice echo effect. TIA.
 Only allow one copy of a program to run? - smokie
Can't think of any way.

Better user training maybe? :-)
 Only allow one copy of a program to run? - Zero
Ruler Finger, Finger Ruler, SLAP
User training will take a long time with my son, very impatient and short attention span.
 Only allow one copy of a program to run? - Kevin
Wrap the executable in a script that either uses tasklist /v | find "string" to see if "string" is already running or creates a lock file before running the exec and then removes it when the exec ends.

Kevin...
 Only allow one copy of a program to run? - Tooslow
or teach him some patience. Don't be sucked in by the modern "he's got a syndrome" thing. All kids are like that, if they can get away with it. You can cure him now or in 20 years time he'll be unemployable.

Well, enough of the sympathy... :-)

JH
 Only allow one copy of a program to run? - rtj70
Edit.... just realised he's clicking on this multiple times until it is really running...

So a script could be written that runs the game:

The jist would be:

1. If game running do nothing and exit
2. Start game

But if he's impatient to wait for it to start then he'll still be clicking away.

What game is it? A fast SSD drive to replace the drive will speed up application start times. How long does the game take to start?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 15 Aug 10 at 21:36
 Only allow one copy of a program to run? - Kevin
>or teach him some patience.

Very easy to do in a wrapper.

A delay with a message like..

"You clicked on 'game' again before I'd finished loading - I'm going to sulk for 5 minutes now"

..should soon sort him out.

Kevin...
The problem seems to be that he isn't bothered that it's running 5 copies of the game, if it bothered him he would learn not to do it, the old computer would go slow in the same circumstances so he learned not to do it.

So Kevin's idea would probably work well for him

>>Don't be sucked in by the modern "he's got a syndrome" thing.

I'm not, we had to insist that our eldest stayed in mainstream school, experts thought she shouldn't be, now her schoolwork is between good and excelent depending on subject and the behaviour problems they insisted would become a problem have totaly vanished.
 Only allow one copy of a program to run? - smokie
My oldest was a more than a complete pain from 11 - 16 - she refused school, refused any medical/psychiatric help, refused to see social services etc, was seriously violent and destructive at home. It became almost intolerable for the rest of the family - we are a "normal" family and there was no reason for the behaviour - she still can't explain it.

She eventually got 4 O levels after less than a year at a special school originally designed for kids who had missed school due to long term hospitalisation but in practice was mostly excluded kids. The teachers weren't used to actually teaching someone who wanted to learn, and intended to sit exams. They were brilliant. She then went out to work and started to "conform" and then onto Uni and has just graduated from UWE with a First, age 25.

Never give up on 'em, that's what I say!
 Only allow one copy of a program to run? - Tooslow
Good on yer Nut. Please excuse the unasked for comment :-)

JH
Latest Forum Posts