Computer Related > Android/gmail/virus? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 23

Android/gmail/virus? - Haywain
Strange things have been happening to emails that land on my son's Android smartphone (Samsung) - he uses gmail. When he opens the mail, it automatically adds 3 options boxes at the bottom of the mail, and the options seem to have often selected key words from the message title or from the body of the mail. When he has sent a message to me - which I pick up on my Mac or iPad, I don't see the options boxes.

Anyone come across this before - is it a virus or is it some sort of bizarre gmail option that can be turned on/off.
 Android/gmail/virus? - smokie
Not come across it but it does sound like some fancy preview facility within the mail client.

There are many mail clients for Android in the Play store, you don't have to use the one your phone came with.
 Android/gmail/virus? - No FM2R
You say he uses GMail.

Obviously he has a GMail account.

But do you also mean he uses the GMail application on his Android, or does he use the Samsung app?
"But do you also mean he uses the GMail application on his Android, or does he use the Samsung app?"

I don't know the answer to that ....... I'll collar him later and ask him.

Thanks
He says that he doesn't use a 'mail client' (I have no idea what one of them is).

He sent me a screenshot of the 'vote' buttons that appeared at the bottom of my last test-mail. My message read "Does my bum look big in this?" - the 3 'vote' buttons that appeared were:

Yes, it does!

No, it doesn't.

Love it!

Can you send me the screenshot so i can see it? Email address in my profile.
OK, can do - but I am now nervous of passing on any virus.

I am operating with an i-Mac with ESET CyberSecurity Pro. Are you sure that's OK?
You will not pass a virus to me by emailing me or by sending me a file. Do not worry.

I doubt you have a virus in any case.
OK, on its way .....
Not got it yet.
"Not got it yet."

Yeah - but it's got a long way to travel!
Clearly its walking.

I just got it and replied.
Please remember to come back with the answer, I'm naturally nosey... :-)
Just trying to work out what the answer is at the moment. But we will.
The answer is that it is nothing to do with Haywain's email, computer or program.

It happens to people who use the GMAIL app on Android. A few days ago it was updated to include the following..

www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/google-smart-reply-comes-to-gmail/

b***** annoying, but there you are.
To Haywain and others, you can switch it off...

On your Android;

Into GMAIL App

Tap three lines in top left corner, scroll down to and tap on Settings

tap on account name

About 6 options down is Smart Reply - check or uncheck as you require.

"b***** annoying, but there you are."

Many thanks for sussing that one out, NoFM. I owe you a virtual pint of Adnams.

Included in the link ....

..........."according to a Google spokesperson via VentureBeat, the company is “heavily considering” it (as a web release) as a future feature."

I hope that they are also including a button to turn the wretched thing off!
You are welcome...

>>. I owe you a virtual pint of Adnams

Oh how much would I love that!!
" I owe you a virtual pint of Adnams"

Friend says that he has now turned his OFF - so that's another pint of Adnams!

If this feature has only been around for a few days, and users haven't been informed, there's going to be a lot of head-scratching going on.
>>If this feature has only been around for a few days, and users haven't been informed, there's going to be a lot of head-scratching going on.

Good God, C4P leading the way, hooda fort it?
I have two mail apps cos one seems to not show every mail!! That's annoying!! I really ought to investigate it sometime...

Thanks for the update! :-)
 Android/gmail/virus? - Roger.
I am totally gmailed, (even to using their SMPT & POP servers for Thunderbird, on my laptop), except on my Android phone, where I use Blue Mail. It has a useful function to easily multi edit/ select and then delete emails.
I've not seen this mysterious feature mentioned by Haywain.
I think you'd need to be running the Gmail client (app), could be wrong. I use gmail but through the stock client which was installed when I got the phone and another and I'm not seeing the issue. Well, I don't think I am!!
I have a rarely-used gmail account so tried logging on via the gmail app on my iPad. Sure enough, the wretched feature is on there as well - and it must have been 'active' as default when it arrived. NoFM's instructions for switching it off were spot-on.
Latest Forum Posts