Computer Related > Monitors Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 16

Monitors - Bromptonaut
New PC bought but now I need a monitor.

Looking for around 24/25 inch - limiting factor is space on computer desk, 62*46cm. Main use will be domestic including watching films etc. No serious gaming though I met get back to messing around with MS Flight Sim at some stage.

Something like this OK:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BCF0006/ref=psdc_428652031_t2_B01HRYELC4

Monitors - Hard Cheese
I am a little biased as I am not a great Samsung fan, though something like this migt be better for slightly less money, spec looks good and good reviews on Amazon.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014RKZ81O/ref=psdc_428652031_t1_B01BCF0006

Likewise:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FABG2DI/ref=psdc_428652031_t1_B00Z6KXXT4

And for a little more this looks good:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OMP887G/ref=psdc_428652031_t3_B005JN9310
 Monitors - Bromptonaut
The underlying question I've not spelled out is what are differences between models - what is extra cash for the Dell getting over and above the sub £120 models?
 Monitors - Pat
tinyurl.com/maxxwla

I've had this one for the last couple of years and I can't fault it.

Pat
 Monitors - nice but dim
I've been responsible for purchasing of IT equipment in my role for the last 4 years and I solely buy Iiyama monitors now.

For the same price as most other brands at the price, you get height adjustment and base swivel which is required where I am.

Dell monitors used to be great (up to 2015) but the have changed the design and feel flimsier now at the money - and the one I have on my desk is like a mirror with how glossy it is.

Avoid certain LG thin profile models, they have a separate AC adapter and very flimsy. Just plugging ports on the back requires pressure to be added to the screen which feels like it would break to the touch.
 Monitors - Dog
Bought an LG recently, v/pleased wivvit:

www.amazon.co.uk/LG-24M47VQ-Dual-Smart-Monitor/dp/B00UNBAQ00/ref=sr_1_10?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1494872564&sr=1-10
 Monitors - spamcan61
In general I would expect the more expensive monitors to use an IPS panel rather than the 'normal' TN panel, these give a wider colour range and a generally more lifelike image. This may or may not matter to you depending on usage.

Having said that the Dell description doesn't seem to mention the panel type, it's blinking expensive if it's a TN panel.

Monitors - Hard Cheese
Dell have been making some good monitors for about 10 years or so. I would look to Dell or Ilyama.

I wouldn't buy a monitor with built in speakers as the sound will almost certainly be carp.

Monitors - Bromptonaut
Don't need speakers. Still got the Boston Acoustics set that came with our first internet PC in 1999.
 Monitors - VxFan
Have you looked on ebuyer? That's where I ended up buying my last monitor.

I was also told to steer clear of Dell. Build quality isn't as good as it used to be apparently.
 Monitors - Hard Cheese
>> Have you looked on ebuyer? That's where I ended up buying my last monitor.
>>

I have always been wary of eBuyer's policy re dead pixels, as I recall they won't, or at least didn't used to, replace a monitor unless it has more than, say, 10 dead pixels. That would be no good for me.

Dell replaced a monitor for me a few years ago that had one dead pixel.

Monitors - Hard Cheese
>> Don't need speakers. Still got the Boston Acoustics set that came with our first internet
>> PC in 1999.
>>

BA735, we've still got a set of them, got them with a Gateway PC circa 1999, really great sound and well made, recently had to replace the green 3.5mm plug that goes into the PC sound card due to intermittent sound, cut the cable just short of the old moulded plug and soldered on a new one sourced from eBay at something like 2 for £2, as good as new again!
 Monitors - Bromptonaut
Ours is BA 635 supplied by same PC manufacturer.
 Monitors - tyrednemotional
>> Ours is BA 635 supplied by same PC manufacturer.
>>

.....Ditto (they don't make 'em like they used to ;-) )
 Monitors - Stuartli
iiyama monitors are terrific and always had good service from the brand, but I was given a Dell Inspiron desktop with a 23in Dell ST2310 monitor as a birthday present seven years ago, which has proved absolutely reliable and completely trouble free, despite being switched on and off many thousands of times.

At one time many Dell CRT monitors used to be re-branded Sony Trinitron/Mitsubishi Diamondtron models and equally superb.
 Monitors - Hard Cheese
>> iiyama monitors are terrific and always had good service from the brand, but I was
>> given a Dell Inspiron desktop with a 23in Dell ST2310 monitor as a birthday present
>> seven years ago, which has proved absolutely reliable and completely trouble free, despite being switched on and off many thousands of times.
>>

Amongst others we have a couple of 20" Dell monitors bought together in 2007, a 2007FP (1600 x 1200) and a 2007WFP (1680 x 1050), both have been and are brilliant.

>> At one time many Dell CRT monitors used to be re-branded Sony Trinitron/Mitsubishi Diamondtron models and equally superb.
>>

Also many made by Lucky Goldstar in the 90's, now LG of course, and no worse for it.
 Monitors - rtj70
If you don't need speakers then the Dell UltraSharp U2515H is very good. You can fit it with a soundbar and that's what I have.

It's an IPS monitor and is UHD 2560X1440 monitor. It has 2 HDMI and one full size Displayport and one mini Displayport. It has a USB 3 hub. It is height and tilt adjustable. And also it will rotate to portrait.

You can have up to 4 devices connected and easily switch between them. I've got a USB keyboard/mouse switch which moves the mouse/keyboard and soundbar (the Dell one for the monitor) between systems.

I think the monitor is about £50 more than I paid for it when it came out 18-24 months ago. I'd buy it again. It's plenty big enough but the extra real estate is useful. I think a 1080P monitor at 25" is a waste.
Latest Forum Posts