Computer Related > Windows 10. Creator's Update Computing Issues
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 21

Windows 10. Creator's Update - Roger.
I've just installed this.
There are no really signifiant changes I can see, (on an oldish, non touch-screen laptop) except that you need to opt out of Microsoft's data gathering once more. I don't use Cortana, or anything ad choice related, or share any other data I can opt out of.
The main improvement, for me at least, seems to be in Mirosoft Edge, which is now quite a decent and quick browser, with a few, a very few, extensions available. Adblock Plus, Ghostery, Translate and Amazon Assistant seem OK, so I've installed them. There are page viewing options which I quite like, too.
Visual customisation is lacking, apart fro a lght/dark option. Shame.
The most useful Firefox add-on - paste email - is going to keep me firmly in their camplot..
I am not sure if Edge supports Dashlane, which I use a lot to fill in forms and payment details.
I'll give it 7/10, so far!
 Windows 10. Creator's Update - Roger.
Well now - I find that the update has uninstalled my third party firewall (Private Firewall) and prompted me to activate the Windows security features.
Meddlesome.
 Windows 10. Creator's Update Mobile Hotspot - sherlock47
Major improvement - I had spent hours trying to get 'mobile hotspot' working in previous version. So far it has worked on the 2 machines I have upgraded.

Now all that is left to do is get the VPN working in conjuction with it!
 Windows 10. Creator's Update Mobile Hotspot - smokie
I got it today and all I#'ve noticed is that it uninstalled the Windows7 Windows games (Freecell, minesweeper etc) which I'd hunted down. Re-installed them and everything is fine, incl all their stats.

I will try Edge as I am going off Chrome. Seem to be forever having performance problems with it, and I'm pretty sure it's Chrome and not my computer/connection.
 Windows 10. Creator's Update Mobile Hotspot - Falkirk Bairn
Took ages to download - slow internet connection circa 5Mb.
Installation again took ages - some 2.5 to 3 hours to install. All well or at least it appears to be.

Upgraded recently to IOS 10 - same slow internet - 20-30 minutes to install - Apple wins on that score.
 Windows 10. Creator's Update Mobile Hotspot - Manatee
Doesn't Apple download the update before it tells you it is available?
I'd say my Windows was complete (from notification) in about 30 mins. Clean up took quite some time - I allowed Windows to clean up, which removes all the od files so you can't rollback.

Then I re-imaged the C drive (my way of backing it up - all data is on other drives so the C drive alone comes to about a 20Gb image file.)

All done in a couple of hours. I do have a decent connection and a half decent PC. it will be slower if and when the tablet wants to upgrade!!
 Windows 10. Creator's Update Mobile Hotspot - Robin O'Reliant
Is this the anniversary update we're talking about, or is it yet another one?
Another one.

blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/04/11/whats-new-in-the-windows-10-creators-update/
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 26 Apr 17 at 19:20
 Windows 10. Creator's Update Mobile Hotspot - Stuartli
Been a cummulative update for Windows 10 Creators today:

tinyurl.com/m5c4z5t
Ah, maybe that's what I got - I'm on that version (15063.250)
 Windows 10. Creator's Update Mobile Hotspot - Focal Point
Apparently, even though it's being rolled out to some, it's been suggested people to whom it is not automatically offered should not seek it out to do an early update. It's still buggy and will cause problem on certain machines.

"Microsoft has urged non-tech-savvy people – or anyone who just wants a stable computer – to not download and install this year's biggest revision to Windows by hand. And that's because it may well bork your machine.

It's been two weeks since Microsoft made its Creators Update available, and we were previously warned it will be a trickle-out rather than a massive rollout. Now, Redmond has urged users to stop manually fetching and installing the code, and instead wait for it to be automatically offered to your computer when it's ready.

The problem is that some systems – particularly older ones – may not be able to handle the Creators Update, Microsoft said. The US giant has been focusing on updating newer kit first, since it feels that hardware is less likely to run into difficulties, and has thus stopped offering the latest Windows 10 upgrade to computers it suspects may suffer from breakdowns."

(from www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/26/stop_downloading_win10_creators_update/)
Creators has been fine in my case and I installed it manually using the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant.

The reason it's not being offered to all rather than piecemeal is simple - it would overload the servers...:-)
 Windows 10. Creator's Update Mobile Hotspot - No FM2R
How would one know if one has received it or not?

And is it worth having?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 27 Apr 17 at 02:49
 Windows 10. Creator's Update Mobile Hotspot - Focal Point
"How would one know if one has received it or not?"

You can check your update history under Settings > Update and Security.

"And is it worth having?"

No idea. Nothing I've read about it suggests it would help me at all.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Thu 27 Apr 17 at 07:25
It isn't unreasonable that M$ are also trying to avoid an avalanche of bad publicity by discouraging every Tom Dick and Harry from downloading it, as it would end up on under-specced machines and they know they would "get the blame"

You can also run WINVER to find out your Windows version - mine, which has the latest update, says it is Version 1703, OS Build 15063.250
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 27 Apr 17 at 09:16
>> - mine, which has the latest update, says it is Version 1703, OS Build 15063.250 >>

You can also go to Settings>System>About for the same and other information; like me you have this week's Cumulative Update for Creators...:-)
 Windows 10. Creator's Update - sherlock47
Probably wise to take note of MS advice on older machines! It trashed an old Sony LaptopVAIO - created multiple registered entrys for devices under device manager. This then generated a complicated 'out of resources error message and hung the machine. The standard removal techniques from Googling had no effect.

So I gave up but at least it reverted to the previous version of OS!

May wait until it is a little more mature before trying again. It is only used as a VPN gateway machine to a TV.
 Windows 10. Creator's Update - Manatee
This has just been applied to my laptop. It has speeded it up considerably.

I ran CCleaner afterwards which removed scores of redundant registry entries and about 5GB of assorted files.
 Windows 10. Creator's Update - smokie
Not sure if CC cleans up the Windows install files, and the old version. If you type Disk Cleanup in the cortana box and select the C drive, you can select to clean up system files (below the scrolly window). Saved an awful lot of space for me, but I only did it once I was happy the new release was stable and I had it backed up... (using Reflect)
 Windows 10. Creator's Update - Manatee
Thanks Smokie.

I just checked using Disk Cleanup, and the amount it offered to remove was trivial (c. 100MB) so I think CC must have got the install files and redundant stuff.
 Windows 10. Creator's Update - smokie
Good - but just checking - did you select cleanup system files?
Latest Forum Posts