Computer Related > Evasive Word toolbars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 13

Evasive Word toolbars - Ambo
I am using Windows 7 Home Professional. I use a desktop shortcut for Word. For any text document, saved or new, the former toolbar facility has been lost. Thus, I get the ruler line and one above it for Home, Insert etc. Whereas the whole Home set came up automatically it has now to be engaged, one operation at a time, after which it disappears until the next time Bold, Font, Find etc. are needed. How can I make it stay put please? I have tried making a new shortcut but that does not alter anything.

Evasive Word toolbars - nice but dim
Ambo,

I think I know what you mean, but try this and report back.

Within your document, move your mouse to the top right of the screen to where the X is to close the document (but don't close it).

Then move your mouse over 3 icons to one which looks like a box with a upwards arrow.

Click that.

Then click ‘Show Tabs And Commands’

The ribbon should stay put.
Thanks for your trouble but I presume you mean the icons top left of the page. The third (from the right) has a magnifying glass symbol and is for Print Preview. None of the others looks as you describe and I can't find any other lead to Tabs and Documents.
 Evasive Word toolbars - Hard Cheese
It'll be Windows 7 Home or Professional. Though of more importance is what version of Word are you using?

The version is Microsoft Office Word 2007. I mention that the ribbon is intact on Excel items.
 Evasive Word toolbars - Bromptonaut
Does this help?

support.office.com/en-gb/article/Turn-off-or-turn-on-the-ribbon-4dce2753-6ccc-4fb2-bec2-44c24fea4999#bmwd

To be honest I prefer the 2003 and prev interface and still have it at home.

We have 2007/10 at work and it's lack of commands that are intuitive to and 'old timer' drive me potty. OK so long as just the two of us who job share a post use it but if somebody else has nabbed it while on of us is away......

Evasive Word toolbars - tyrednemotional

...I suspect it is nothing to do with the shortcut by which you invoke it, but more the toolbar settings.

Invoke Word and then investigate this

support.office.com/en-gb/article/Show-or-hide-a-toolbar-c7f8e8cc-0651-4444-bc4f-22e211699964

(if you change the toolbar settings, then the new ones should "stick")
 Evasive Word toolbars - Hard Cheese
I am on Office 2010 currently, so Word 2010, though I think that in Word 2007 you click on the circle at the top left which gives you something like "Word Options", one if which will be to customise the ribbon and another will be quick access toolbar or similar, I suggest investigating here ...
 Evasive Word toolbars - No FM2R
If I recall, in 2007 it is not called a toolbar it is called a ribbon. You say you still have the commands Home / Insert whatever??

So, right click on any one of those commands and a menu should appear, look for an option to "minimise ribbon" and make sure it is unchecked.

I think you will find it checked and unchecking it will resolve your issue.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 1 Apr 17 at 18:31
To be a bit clearer, if it is specifically your "Home" ribbon which is missing, right click on the command "Home", and if the "Insert" ribbon is missing, right click on "Insert" etc.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 1 Apr 17 at 18:43
 Evasive Word toolbars - Manatee
I going from Word 2010, but try File/Options/Customise Ribbon if you have that menu structure.
Exactly right, No FM2R. "Minimize the Ribbon" unchecked and now all stable. I can't imagine how it managed to get checked in the first place.

Many thanks for help offered by others however.
Glad you sorted it out, pleased I could help.

>> I can't imagine how it managed to get checked in the first place.

Virtually anything in Office can be done by a combination of key presses. My kittens regularly reconfigure things by sleeping on the keyboard when I've left stuff logged in. I have no idea why the keyboard is such an attractive place to sit/sleep.

Almost certainly that's what happened to you, but it could be a cat, a dropped keyboard, something dropped on the keyboard, a child, etc. etc.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 4 Apr 17 at 00:27
It'll be our Burmese cat then. He doesn't actually sleep on the keyboard but likes to sit on it, although only when I am using it.
Latest Forum Posts