Computer Related > Editing scanned documents Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 18

Editing scanned documents - Ambo
I have scanned a letter whose original Word file has been lost and saved it. It appears as a JPEG file. Is there a way I can re-save this as a Word document so that I can edit it please?
 Editing scanned documents - rtj70
You'll need to use OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software to convert it back into editable text. What software came with your scanner - does it have an OCR related app?
 Editing scanned documents - Ambo
No, can you recommend one? I had one two computers ago. I can't recall its name but it let through so many errors that it was not worth using.
 Editing scanned documents - neiltoo
If you can choose, scan it as a PDF.
You may be able to copy and paste the words into a word document.
 Editing scanned documents - smokie
... or try this web site tinyurl.com/zvrnlwv, although it can't convert all pdf's by a long chalk
>> f you can choose, scan it as a PDF.
>> You may be able to copy and paste the words into a word document.

Not without OCR it won't. The PDF will include a bitmaps version of the page.

There are also OCR type apps for smartphones. I use an app called CamScanner to scan receipts - it nicely autocrops and corrects the edges to make nice and square. I think it offers OCR too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 27 Feb 17 at 18:51
Just took a look and CamScanner (on Android) does do OCR. I tried a full page of text and it's reasonable accurate. But the text would then need formatting back to the original. Better than typing.
 Editing scanned documents - Focal Point
I've no idea if they are any good, but there are some free OCR software programs.

Some reviews:
tinyurl.com/7tb7rmt
tinyurl.com/jfczhx6
tinyurl.com/gqhostb

None of the above seem particularly up to date, unfortunately.
 Editing scanned documents - Stuartli
>>I use an app called CamScanner to scan receipts >>

A friend wanted a copy of a receipt in order to make a claim so I just photographed it using my HTC 10. Did the job more than adequately and as sharp as a pin...:-)
Sharp as a pin camera on my phone too - but this question isn't about who's camera produces the best photos. This app is worth checking out. Don't be so arrogant and a know it all.

It crops the image automatically and squares up the image. And there's a free version. It also does basic OCR.
>> Don't be so arrogant and a know it all.>>

it's quite the reverse actually - you're the one being arrogant.

I was asked by a friend if I would scan a receipt on my Canon MG7550 printer, but said I would try using my HTC 10 first for convenience purposes.

It did the job, which is why I pointed out the method. Don't read what you want to read, rather than what I've tried to convey.....:-)

As I've said before on the forums, there's more than one way to skin a cat.....
 Editing scanned documents - BrianByPass
>> It did the job, which is why I pointed out the method. Don't read what
>> you want to read, rather than what I've tried to convey.....:-)
>>

I don't get it. How will your HTC10 do what the OP is asking for? - "a JPEG file. Is there a way I can re-save this as a Word document so that I can edit it please?"

Can you enlighten me and rtj70 how to skin that cat with your HTC10?

Editing scanned documents - VxFan
>> I don't get it. How will your HTC10 do what the OP is asking for?

But he's not replying to the OP. He was suggesting an alternate method instead of using CamScanner to scan receipts.

>>
>> using CamScanner to scan receipts.
>>

Yes, rtj was using his receipts example, with an emphasis on OCR.

The HYC saves photographs in DNG RAW and JPEG formats; selecting Pro and expanding the menu enables the choice of RAW or .jpeg.
>> The HYC saves photographs in DNG RAW and JPEG formats; selecting Pro and expanding the
>> menu enables the choice of RAW or .jpeg.
>>

HYC? Typo? HTC?

I am none the wiser.

How does saving in RAW or JPEG format answer the OP's question?

>> How does saving in RAW or JPEG format answer the OP's question?

It doesn't. He wasn't helping the OP.

CamScanner by the way saves files as either JPEG or PDF.
 Editing scanned documents - tyrednemotional
If you simply wanted to extract the text, (requiring you to reformat it for editing) then Microsoft Office Document Imaging used to be quite good.

Unfortunately, it isn't included in recent copies of Office, though it can be retro-loaded.

Microsoft do recommend other workarounds, however, some of which are very easy (depending on whether you have a version of Office installed, and which).

I've just tried one simple one, which worked admirably with a Jpeg, but depends on you having a version of OneNote installed as part of Office (which it should be for recent versions. Note, the following text mentions OneNote 2010, I used the latest, so it should work with any version I think)

The following (mildly amended) is Microsoft's instructions:

Optical character recognition

MODI also enables you to perform optical character recognition (OCR).

By performing OCR, you can then copy text from a scanned image or from a fax into another location.

To implement the functionality of this feature, use Microsoft OneNote 2010. To do this, follow these steps:

In OneNote 2010, on the Insert tab, click Picture. (My experience is that, on firing up OneNote, it will ask you to sign-in to a/your Microsoft Account - simply right click on the OneNote tab in the bottom task bar and 'close window', and it will bypass the sign-in).

Locate the scanned file. The file is then inserted into OneNote 2010 as a picture. (I simply chose Insert Picture from the One Note menu bar and browsed to it).

In One Note, right-click the now-inserted picture, then click Copy Text from Picture, and then paste the information (text) to another location (such as Word or Notepad).

This might be useful for anyone else that needs OCR-like capability.
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Tue 28 Feb 17 at 08:44
 Editing scanned documents - smokie
Good post, thanks. I've never yet looked at One Note as I am "just" a home user on Office 2013, so I have no idea of it's purpose or value, but this alone could be handy.
Latest Forum Posts