Computer Related > Virgin TV - additional Tivo box Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 4

Virgin TV - additional Tivo box - Bobby
We have a Virgin media package and have the usual router and Tivo box.
Daughter would like an additional box in her room - does this need to be physically hardwired to the existing box or can it just be ran through Powerline adaptors?

And if powerline adaptors would work, would we be able to operate a third box the same way in my son's room?
 Virgin TV - additional Tivo box - rtj70
I have no experience of Virgin these days but when we had it the extra boxes were also connected directly to the Virgin Media network via coax. The boxes were independent. The latest boxes might be different. I'd hope they're more like the SkyQ boxes with the other rooms relying on tuners in the main box.

Indeed the SkyQ boxes even use power-line technology by default. Or so I've read.

When I had Virgin (originally NTL) multi-room we paid a lot each month but I managed to get a reduction in the end.

What does Virgin Media say? I suspect normal VM multi-room is independent of the first box.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 8 Dec 16 at 23:39
 Virgin TV - additional Tivo box - smokie
I have two TiVos and each is wired independently to the connection outside the front door.

I have put them both on my LAN and they can see one another, and I can (but don't) watch stuff recorded on one box on the other, except for the terrestrial channels. Best of all, I can back up my season pass list from one to the other, so in the event that a box breaks and has to be replaced (which has happened a few times) I haven't lost absolutely everything. The LAN connection is no good for anything else, nor is the USB port i.e. you can't "back up" your recordings to external media.

As an aside I was talking with VM last week about disposing all their services bar TV. One TiVo with basic channel package would be £6.75 a month whereas if I wanted to keep both it would have been in excess of £30. Similarly if I took off just the phone line I lost all loyalty etc discounts and my bill would go up not down!!

A further aside, you know you can pay a year's phone up front and make quite a saving? store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/line-rental-saver.html
 Virgin TV - additional Tivo box - Bobby
Why has this been moved to Computer related??
More TV that computer surely??
 Virgin TV - additional Tivo box - smokie
I didn't move it so I can't answer but of course TiVo is just a Linux box... I know that cos I had my own Series 1 one and used to regularly log into it and hack around the code to make it do stuff it shouldn't.
Latest Forum Posts