Computer Related > Printer ink Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 25

Printer ink - Ted

For years I have been using the products of Internet Ink with no problems. I have just tried to print out a document I need for tomorrow, but my printer, an Epson, tells me all my inks have run out.

I fitted my spare set and now it refuses to recognize the non Epson cartridges. I have heard, I think, of HP making non HP inks unusable but I think they reversed their decision after protests. Have Epson gone down the same road ? Is there a way round this problem or is it a trip to PC World in the morning for me ?
 Printer ink - MD
I think that you are correct regarding the manufacturer rigging the things to stop non oem cartridges working.

I have always used Canon printers and cheap cartridges usually without issue. A new printer 'may' be the way to go.
 Printer ink - sherlock47
>>A new printer 'may' be the way to go<<<

An old printer is the way to go. I run 3 HP Deskjet 930 or 990 (with double sided printing), all bought s/h for about £15 in total - some with almost full original colror cartridges. No smart manufacturer checking of cartridges - home refillable if you can be bothered - or refilled/recon BW cartridges for about £4. The only problem is that recon cartridges are becoming more difficult to find. Out of date new cartridges are often available at carboots if you wish to take a punt at about £1 each, mixed results, probably depend if they have been stored on a window cill in the sun. Dried up open cartridges can generally be resurrected by standing in a sace with 5mm of warm/hot water.

If you want good quality color prints just get them done on line.
 Printer ink - Ambo
I ran my Epson and (I think) its Dell successor on Curry's own brand cartridges. I haven't tried them on my Canon MG5350 as yet and I am not sure if they are even available now.
 Printer ink - Ted

I took the plunge and bought a four pack of Epson branded inks from Currys/PC World this morning...36 squids but they'll prombobbly last me a couple of years.

Shame though..Epson...ripping off poor pensioners !
 Printer ink - Old Navy
Mrs ON prints a lot of photos, among other stuff. She has used this outfit for many years with only one duff ink cartridge which was replaced without question. We have a photo quality printer (Canon MG 5550) which uses five ink cartridges and she usually buys them in sets. Usual disclaimers, only a satisfied customer.

www.inkredible.co.uk
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 19 Nov 16 at 13:30
 Printer ink - sajid
get a canon no problem with non oem cartridges and refusal to accept another non oem ink cartridge.

all my printers have been canon the latest is a canon ip8750 i tend to print the occasional photo and use it as a general printer.

I tend to shun buying all in ones as they a compromise, the scanner may be low rent or the printer takes a multi ink cartridge.

If you want to print documents then go for a cheap laser, and a inkjet for photos.
 Printer ink - CGNorwich
My trusty and reliable Canon Pixma 5200 is no longer working. I suspect because of a recent upgrade to Sierra OS. I get a message that the printer is offline although it is connected

Canon no longer support the model and no new drivers are available. Is the machine now junk and if so is there any reasonably priced (under £100) new printer available that will accept non-original ink cartridges?

The Pixma ran happily on cheapo ink cartridges that were less that a fifth of the manufacturer's product and widely available
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 22 Nov 16 at 23:23
 Printer ink - rtj70
>> My trusty and reliable Canon Pixma 5200 is no longer working. I suspect because of a recent
>> upgrade to Sierra OS. I get a message that the printer is offline although it is connected

A lot of Canon printers were listed as not compatible by Canon when Sierra OS was released. I've not checked if they came out with new drivers (kext files on MacOS - kernel extensions).

Like when they stopped the previous printers working when I last upgraded, an older driver got it working. It might be worth a try.
 Printer ink - maltrap
My HP printer won't print when using Firefox. If i switch to Opera it's ok.
 Printer ink - Roger.
Will it print Word or Libre Office docs OK?

support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-printing-problems-firefox
Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 23 Nov 16 at 14:36
 Printer ink - maltrap
Thanks for your offer of help Roger, but even that is too comlpicated for my limited ability. It's easier to switch to Opera on the odd occasions that i use the printer.
 Printer ink - CGNorwich
"An older driver got it working"

Thanks for the suggestion but, I tried that and no luck. Has been listed as unsupported for a few upgrades now

Looks like it"s now junk. Any ideas on a reasonably priced printer that will acceptcompatible ink cartridges or are there no such beasts?
 Printer ink - rtj70
I've always been happy with Canon - but nearly all models still on sale say they are not compatible with MacOS Sierra.
 Printer ink - rtj70
Actually there's an update on the Canon website:

www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/operating_system_information/

It says the macOS 10.12.1 update has resolved communication issues with printers.

macOS 10.12 (Sierra) Important Announcement

We would like to make our customers aware that Apple has officially released an update to macOS Sierra (version 10.12.1) and this has resolved the communication error with Canon printers. For more detailed information about the features and update process, please visit the Sierra preview page.

Canon Inc. Headquaters in Japan have delivered the new macOS 10.12 (Sierra) drivers for all the affected printers listed below and they are available to download from our support site.

An updated version for the affected software packages will also be delivered soon, as indicated below.

Maybe your printers works when you upgrade to macOS 10.12.1?
 Printer ink - rtj70
Although I don't see your model number - all the iP5xxx range is missing. My old iP5000 would not work it seems but that had a failed print head a few weeks ago.

It was replaced with a new 'equivalent' Canon printer. I knew it might not work 100% on macOS Sierra but would for AirPrint. But feedback on the printer:

- Compared to my old Pixma printer it feels (and is) cheaply made. But it was around a third of the purchase price.
- No rear feed for straight through paper path - so you're going to struggle to print on thicker card.
- Take ages to get going - even when left on.... the head goes into some sort of standby mode shortly after it's stopped printing. It takes even longer from fully off.
 Printer ink - CGNorwich
Well I decided the old printer is for the tip and have just ordered a Canon Pixma MG4250 from Argos for £50. The WiFi at least should be an improvement.

Thanks again for the info.
 Printer ink - legacylad
I am the archetypal Luddite and have a Pixma MG7550
Even I could set it up, and it's produces nice pics. I don't understand all the settings and other complexities, but it seems to fulfil my basic requirements. It happily accepts all manner of compatible cartridges.
 Printer ink - henry k
I have also opted for a Pixma 7550.
I have been happy with its prints up to now but have just changed a couple of cartridges
and that has not corrected the colours.
Two other cartridges have low contents but not triggering alarms.
At about a pound each I think I will swop a couple more.
I have yet to try my Fill It Yourself cartridges yet.
 Printer ink - Stuartli
I've had my MG7550 for about a year now and get great results with the compatible ink cartridges from:

www.inkredible.co.uk/
 Printer ink - Dog
I bought a Pixma MG71 from eBuyer earlier in the year for around 50 notes, here's part-of a review:

"If you buy this printer, I recommend that before installing it you take a cheese grater and rub the rough side all over your face for about 3 minutes. Then the installation will feel like light relief".

:-D
 Printer ink - Falkirk Bairn
Epson Printer now 7/8 yrs old.

When I bought a new laptop 5+ yrs ago the printer functioned as a generic Epson from many years ago,

About 6/9 months later a new Win 7 driver appeared & it was fine - worked OK for some 4 years.

In October I was given a new Win10 HP laptop as a birthday present. When I plugged the usb printer it it took the blink of an eye - "new Printer Epson XXXX" & installed drivers in the blink of an eye. Runs perfectly - thumbs up for Win10 Windows Driver.

Only problem is the ink is pricey to say the least.
 Printer ink - Stuartli
"If you buy this printer, I recommend that before installing it you take a cheese grater and rub the rough side all over your face for about 3 minutes. Then the installation will feel like light relief".

My MG7550's installation was straightforward and trouble free, both wired and wireless.....
 Printer ink - Dog
I did indeed have some degree of difficulty in setting up my MG5751, got there in the end though.
I only really use it for printing out birthday and Christmas cards for the the ole woman :o)
 Printer ink - Falkirk Bairn
Shop selling off Epson Ink Cartridges £30 for 2 rather than £36 each.

I would like to say Bargain!!! but it is still probably more expensive than gold
 Printer ink - busbee
ambo

2 sets of MG5350 inks for £11 here

www.firstcallinks.co.uk/browse.cfm?d=Canon-PIXMA-MG5350&p=0000000050

I found them an OK place to buy from. Used many times.

Usual disclaimer.

Latest Forum Posts