Computer Related > Win 7 "Word" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 32

Win 7 "Word" - Bobby
Long story short, I took a friend's son's laptop back to factory settings as it had ground to a halt. So has obviously removed everything including the version of MS Office I had put on it (which I no longer have the disc for).

She is now looking to do a CV from scratch - what Word Processor type document is available on Win 7 to do this? My own laptop is loaded with programs so not sure what comes as part of the basic Win 7 package?
 Win 7 "Word" - Dog
Howls about downloading a free CV template.
 Win 7 "Word" - tyrednemotional
Not sure that there's anything much I would try to do a well-presented CV.

If, however, you are looking for a good, free Office "substitute", then a download and install of OpenOffice or (preferably, I think) LibreOffice (both open source, free, and largely, but not entirely compatible with Office and its documents) should suffice.

www.libreoffice.org/
 Win 7 "Word" - No FM2R
www.libreoffice.org
 Win 7 "Word" - No FM2R
(Snap)

Also agree with t&e's summary.
 Win 7 "Word" - spamcan61
I agree with the LibreOffice crowd, however if they really really want MSWord then there's always the free online version:-

www.office.com/

Win 7 "Word" - Bobby
cheers guys - will give that a try
 Win 7 "Word" - Aretas
Suggest you look here: www.techsupportalert.com/content/word-processor-replacement.htm
 Win 7 "Word" - Falkirk Bairn
May or may not apply to your friend / friend's son.

If your friend is a PC user at work there is a scheme whereby you can get a legitimate licence for MS Office for £9.99!!

My son had incompatibilities with his home version of his Word/Excel and the version in his office. Working at home meant different versions would not open or the formats altered.

2 weeks ago he got the full suite for £9.99 for the i-Mac. £9.99 gives you the use on 3 machines I believe - so £3.33 a copy is a bargain even if you use it for only the odd personal letter per month.
 Win 7 "Word" - smokie
It depends what license the employer has. E.g. SWMBO got Office through her firm about 3 years ago but now her company have a different license and it's no longer available.
 Win 7 "Word" - rtj70
Bobby, you say you don't have the disk but do you have the licence key for this version. Obviously you need to right disk if you got hold of one from elsewhere to match the licence.

I got Office 2016 for £9.99 earlier this year for my PC at home (never used) and I also have and use Office 2011 for the Mac which was also £9.99 when I got it a few years ago.
 Win 7 "Word" - Stuartli
I use Jarte as my word processor. Straightforward and does what it says on the tin:

www.jarte.com/
 Win 7 "Word" - Bobby
Rob it was an old 2007 disk and licence key but long gone now. I have 2013 on my laptop on a similar deal to yours but it is only valid for one machine.
I think the free stuff will do for now and it can be emailed to me and I can tidy it up and print off.

Cheers
 Win 7 "Word" - rtj70
If it was Word 2007 then the latest freeware equivalent will be better but a different interface to what they were used to.

I do have Office 2007 install media but I suspect it's a corporate copy with embedded key. If it just needed a key and was not the corporate variety then I could share I guess. But you'd still need a key.
 Win 7 "Word" - Duncan
>> I got Office 2016 for £9.99 earlier this year for my PC at home (never
>> used) and I also have and use Office 2011 for the Mac which was also
>> £9.99 when I got it a few years ago.
>>

How did you manage to buy Office 2016 for £9.99?
 Win 7 "Word" - sooty123
How did you manage to buy Office 2016 for £9.99?
>>

I vaguely remember something along those lines at work. If your employer bought a certain office package the employees could buy a similar one for a tenner.
>> I vaguely remember something along those lines at work. If your employer bought a certain
>> office package the employees could buy a similar one for a tenner.
>>

Microsoft's "Home Use Program" allows employees to buy, for personal use, copies of software licensed (and used) at their place of employment for a nominal sum (it used to be the handling and shipping charges).

The Ts&Cs have varied over the years, AFAIK, the availability currently depends on the employer having Microsoft software under an "Enterprise Agreement", and additionally with "Software Assurance" (essentially an ongoing maintenance fee which makes newer versions of the licensed software available to the licensee without upgrade cost).

The use of the additional home copy technically becomes illegal if the employer changes their license practice, or the employee ceases to use it at work, or changes employment. For already installed copies, this was always damn near impossible to police (either by Microsoft or the employer).
 Win 7 "Word" - Bobby
FB , Friend doesnt use a PC at work so doesnt apply I'm afraid.
Thanks anyway
 Win 7 "Word" - Bromptonaut
IIRC there are cheap versions of Office for those in full time education.Still around £50 retail. Mrs B though got it cheaper through her Uni (she's a doctoral research student).
 Win 7 "Word" - Stuartli
Later editions of Word are not backwards compatible as I once discovered to my surprise...:-(
...the default file formats changed (eg .doc to .docx) in Office 2007, and these were not natively readable in previous versions.

Almost all of the incompatibility could, however, be overcome by installing a (free) MS supplied compatibility pack against those previous versions.
Acquired a brand new laptop today -17", i5, 8Gb / 1Terabyte - Birthday present from the 3 kids.

Link to the need for Word /Excel my son's work purchase of Office for £9.99 gives him 3 copies - so I will have the latest software once he finds where he has put the code!
 Win 7 "Word" - rtj70
A 17" laptop isn't really a laptop is it? It's a portable workstation.

Are you really going to use a 17" 'laptop' balanced on your lap in front of the TV?
 Win 7 "Word" - RattleandSmoke
I really really hate laptops with 1TB drives, as people tend to fill them up and not back them up. The drives often fail very quickly.

When I am supplying laptops to customers now, I tend to rip out the crappy hard drives and replace them with an SSD. I know SSDs can still fail but at least they will not fail because the laptops been moved around.

If you are going to store any important data on it make sure you it is all backed up :) Hard drives are cheap the data isn't.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 9 Oct 16 at 20:59
 Win 7 "Word" - John Boy
Any more killjoys?
 Win 7 "Word" - rtj70
>> Any more killjoys?
>>

Yes. FB's son has a licence to use Office on his home computers. The one FB has is not covered,
 Win 7 "Word" - Bromptonaut
Just about to replace my 'desktop' laptop with a proper midi tower desktop. Easier to keep mirrored to the NAS and/or cloud.

Little Lenovo 11" laptop I bought a couple of weeks ago does fine for faffing about on here when away from my study/bedroom; whether downstairs at home or like now away in the caravan.
 Win 7 "Word" - RattleandSmoke
I have a 5 year old Thinkpad X220 I5 with 16GB of RAM and an SSD which is ideal as it has a 12" screen it is light enough to take away with and powerful enough to use as a proper machine when away. All my important files though are on my mirrored NAS drive.

I much prefer using my desktops with the massive monitors, sadly no room for a dual monitor setup though!
>>I much prefer using my desktops with the massive monitors,

They had wanted to buy an imac but it is huge & learning MacOS they realised was beyond me. MacOS after 33 years of DOS & Windows would have been "challenging"

1983/84 DOS 1 (US version no £ sign) - now Win10 to contend with - if all else fails I hope there is still a c:> command line - old habits die hard.
 Win 7 "Word" - Roger.
>> I have a 5 year old Thinkpad X220 I5 with 16GB of RAM and an
>> SSD which is ideal as it has a 12" screen it is light enough to
>> take away with and powerful enough to use as a proper machine when away. All
>> my important files though are on my mirrored NAS drive.
>>
>> I much prefer using my desktops with the massive monitors, sadly no room for a
>> dual monitor setup though!
>>
Only a DUAL monitor? My son-in-law has a TRIPLE monitor set up!
Bummer in the dining room SPACE though :-)
 Win 7 "Word" - rtj70
But what resolution are the displays. A large single screen might be more useful. I'm more than happy with my monitor with a 2560x1440 resolution. You can have two full A4 pages on view side by side with some space to spare - very good for editing.

I didn't want to go to Quad HD resolution because I thought a 25" monitor was large enough for me.
It's on a wee glass table stand - works fine - 10 years use out of the last 2 x 17".

#1 died & #2 is on its way out - screen flicker issues, battery failing (15 mins only so now really a UPS), the odd semi dead keys (ctrl , A&E, 2) - apart from that it has been 100% reliable until the last 3/4 months.

Both were Acers - this time HP - not my choice but I had no say as it was a present.

2 weeks ago updated the phone from Blackberry to Apple - getting the hang of iOS is not the easiest - BB was awkward in some respects but 100% quality - I bought it brand new about 2.5 years ago @ BB fire sale when their kit sales fell off a cliff & they were clearing the decks for £100 instead of £500!
NEW PC -3 hours to configure, updates of everything, delete MS/Win 10 bloatware, add a few useful packages (foc of course), sync to phone.

Still awaiting the MS Office codes to gain access to Office £9.99 for 3 users!

The system re-booted countless times but in the end it works.

First impressions are that the screen is excellent & the fonts really crisp - which is good as the eyesight is not what it was. HP 17.3" Intel i5, 8Gb/1TB,
Latest Forum Posts