Computer Related > Facetime Computing Issues
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 15

Facetime - Roger.
My daughter and grand-sprogs all have iPhones (an SE & 2 x oldish 5s)
They use Facetime to yap.It would be nice if we could join in on our laptops.
Facetime is as you will know, an Apple app, which is not designed to work on a Windows PC. There appears to be a work around using a program called Bluestacks, according to a couple of sites found with Google. The odd thing is - they tell you to download an .apk app for Facetime which, it is claimed, once installed will open using aforesaid Bluestacks.
Bluestacks seems to be an Android emulator, not an iOS emulator/converter, so how does an .apk , Android app work as an iOS app, i.e. Facetime?
In any event the wretched Facetime .apk won't open at all!
There are quite a few android apps showing on Bluestacks, including lots of childish games, Facebook, Google Photos, Pinterest and so on.
Is there enlightenment out there amongst our techie genii?
Last edited by: Roger. on Sat 17 Sep 16 at 22:34
 Facetime - rtj70
Bluestacks as you say in an Android runtime. So not going to help you.

Get them to use a different app other than FaceTime. Skype is well known. Google has just released an app called Duo for Android and iOS.
 Facetime - Stuartli
WhatsApp or Messenger, both owned by Facebook, can be downloaded for both Apple and Android and providing wi-fi is available and the app is installed on both devices in use, work splendidly.

You can also make free phone calls anywhere in the world and take advantage of other features available.

www.whatsapp.com/

itunes.apple.com/us/app/messenger/id454638411?mt=8

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.orca&hl=en_GB
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 18 Sep 16 at 00:08
 Facetime - Falkirk Bairn
The simplest solution is to ask around for someone who has an old i-phone or i-pad that they no longer use - link to the wi-fi & you are fixed. Do not use Facebook out on the street as Facebook eats data!

I have an old i-phone 4S from a son on loan until I get a phone fixed - works OK.

I am sure there will original Apple I-pads lurking somewhere .
 Facetime - Stuartli
>> Do not use Facebook out on the street as Facebook eats data!>>

You don't have to have a Facebook account to use Messenger (or WhatsApp)!!

Facetime - Falkirk Bairn
>> >> Do not use Facebook out on the street as Facebook eats data!>>
>>
>> You don't have to have a Facebook account to use Messenger (or WhatsApp)!!

I know that - I was just stating a fact that FB eats data.
 Facetime - Stuartli
>>I know that - I was just stating a fact that FB eats data. >>

Fair enough. But there are almost literally thousands of wi-fi hot spots now in clubs, pubs, restaurants etc from The Cloud, O2 etc that I use very little of my 4G mobile data allowance from GiffGaff....:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 19 Sep 16 at 00:39
 Facetime - rtj70
And Roger is probably wanting to communicate from home so data allowances not an issue.

Roger either needs to acquire an Apple device (Macbook/iMac/Mac Mini/iPad/iPhone) or use something other than FaceTime.

Or built a new PC with components that are okay to install Mac OSX on. Build it, install it, take hours getting it to work, then use FaceTime. But this latter option is probably beyond most people's patience and planning! I had such a machine but rarely used it and wanted to re-use the SSD for Windows 10 testing.

I had (Still have) some projects I wanted the extra performance of an i7 Intel CPU for (rendering photos to video) but still have a backlog of said projects. Easier to probably use one of the other Macs.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 19 Sep 16 at 00:53
 Facetime - car4play
Facebook only eats data on the move because it auto plays videos in your feed. This literally will chew your data allowance. Been there, done that.

You can remove this setting in Facebook by launching the app, going to Settings->Account Settings->Videos and Photos->Auto-play.

Select the option "Choose when videos auto play" to "On Wi-fi Connections Only".
 Facetime - Duncan
>> Facebook only eats data on the move because it auto plays videos in your feed.
>> This literally will chew your data allowance. Been there, done that.
>>
>> You can remove this setting in Facebook by launching the app, going to Settings->Account Settings->Videos and Photos->Auto-play.
>>
>> Select the option "Choose when videos auto play" to "On Wi-fi Connections Only".

I occasionally get my GDs calling me on Facetime when I am away from an unlimited wi-fi connection. Is there something in Settings on the iPhone which will give a similar setting?
 Facetime - Duncan
>> I occasionally get my GDs calling me on Facetime when I am away from an
>> unlimited wi-fi connection. Is there something in Settings on the iPhone which will give a
>> similar setting?

It may be that I have answered my own question.

Settings - Mobile Data, scroll down to - Use Mobile Data For - turn off FaceTime.
 Facetime - BrianByPass
>> WhatsApp or Messenger, both owned by Facebook,
>>

Isn't the difference that Facetime is video calls like Skype, but WhatsApp does just voice? I am not on Facebook so don't know about Messenger capability for video calls.
 Facetime - Pat
>>My daughter and grand-sprogs all have iPhones (an SE & 2 x oldish 5s)
They use Facetime to yap.It would be nice if we could join in on our laptops<<

Roger perhaps someone should explain to you that it really isn't cool to have your parents on Facetime:)

Pat
 Facetime - car4play
I know a bunch of uni guys who video conference to keep in touch with each other every week.
Because they are all on different platforms, Mac, PC etc. they use Google Hangouts which apparently works really well for a number of people having a conference chat:

hangouts.google.com
 Facetime - BrianByPass
>> I know a bunch of uni guys who video conference to keep in touch with
>> each other every week.
>>
Skype does something similar www.skype.com/en/features/group-calls/
 Facetime - smokie
Yeah I'm using Skype with my mates (incl overseas) for group planning meetings for the Desert Trip in Oct.
Latest Forum Posts