Computer Related > Small Cheap Laptop Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 6

Small Cheap Laptop - Bromptonaut
Mrs B and I both need small laptops for relatively lightweight usage. Hers for taking notes in lectures etc where her 15.3" Toshiba is both too big and too heavy and perhaps for other basic functions when attending conferences etc. Might want to use software like Scrivener ( www.literatureandlatte.com/trial.php ) on it.

Mine to replace the 2009 XP netbook used in the caravan and on holiday, mostly for faffing about in here and other surfing.

Seen this offer in Currys:

tinyurl.com/jfazlqu

Won't set the world on fire but is it likely to have any serious limitations?
 Small Cheap Laptop - Dog
Howls about a Chromebook for well under 100 knicker:

www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-11-6-Inch-Chromebook-Laptop-Black/dp/B01GCNZ79C/ref=pd_lpo_147_bs_t_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4N3HMPH9KW5X5C3F694P
 Small Cheap Laptop - spamcan61
The Lenovo should be fine, for a similar use case I bought one of these a few months back and it does the job well. Best regarded as a small laptop rather than a tablet, given the weight. The touchscreen is useful with Win10.

tinyurl.com/zrj76vv
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Sat 17 Sep 16 at 19:52
 Small Cheap Laptop - Duncan
I know nothing.

Which? says:-

Asus Chromebook C201PA £180 scores 70%.
Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series £160 68%
Lenovo IdeaPad 100s 11inch 58%
 Small Cheap Laptop - Slidingpillar
I seriously distrust Which? when it comes to technology. Breadmakers, which makes the tastiest bread is fine, but it frequently majorly downmarks technical stuff if a modicum of understanding is needed.

Never forgotten their test on small 35mm cameras where they said 'don't buy' to the one which performed the best by a big margin. According to them, impossible to load the film. Granted a trifle odd, but loaded it the first time with instructions nearby and used the camera for the next 30 years until a small digital one replaced it.
 Small Cheap Laptop - rtj70
Why do you need two laptops. Can't the same laptop serve both uses? Am I missing something? And once she has a new laptop the 15" laptop can be re-used.

I'd say for mobility a 13" laptop with a good display is ideal. If you thought you wanted a Macbook Pro at any time - get one before they get rid of all the ports (replaced by USB-C) and even the excellent MagSafe charging.

And MagSafe is really good and was a great idea - and yet they will bin it.

EDIT: I know you don't want a £999 laptop to replace the 15.6" laptop. Just saying about the Macbook Pro changes that are on the way.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 18 Sep 16 at 21:32
 Small Cheap Laptop - car4play
if you are around in Sussex you are welcome to one of our used computers - a Dell mini notebook. One of my kids used it as a lightweight Hackintosh (PC with Mac os installed on it), just for note taking, Word etc. because it was small and lightweight and cheap enough to lose.

It got superseded by the later macbook airs so no longer got any use. It may be to old for you though.

However, if you are really serious about taking notes in lectures you really cannot beat using the Notability App on an iPad.
itunes.apple.com/gb/app/notability/id360593530?mt=8

Although lecturers don't really like it, you set the thing recording at the start and then make notes on top of PDF lecture notes. What is really cool is that you can replay the note audio when tapping on a note you have made, or simply just replay the lecture and watch your notes appear as you took them. Of course you will need to get a stylus to do this. You don;t need the Apple stylus - just any third party one + an iPad will work ok for this use.

One of mine did his whole time at uni on an iPad. It is much lighter weight than a PC or mac and will do everything you need anyway and more. In fact all his PC note-taking friends wanted to swap them in for the extra functionality you get on the iPad.
Latest Forum Posts