Computer Related > Win 10 - Explorer view, cloud drives gone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 26

Win 10 - Explorer view, cloud drives gone - smokie
Or maybe it's not Explorer, but maybe My Computer.

If I do Windows key E I get up one of the above, ahev done it for eayrs.

Until recently, at the top of the list were my One Drive, Google Drive and some other buits which I can't remember.

Now they have disappeared. The list looks somehow less "pleasant".

I must have changed the View somehow but I think I've tried all the options and I can't get them back.

Any ideas please?
 Win 10 - Explorer view, cloud drives gone - devonite
When I press Windows/E on my comp all I get is:

A quick access list to frequent folders - Downloads, pictures, documents, Homegroup etc

Then a further list comprising: This PC, Downloads, Pictures, Local Disk C, network and Homegroup.

no mention of One-Drive or Cloud!
Yep that's what I now get but above This Computer and below the other bits were my cloud drives.

(I also have my NAS mapped as the Z drive and I'm sure Z drive showed as a local drive in My Computer instead of or as well as being under Network drive with it's name)
FWIW I just noted that the Save dialogue (e.g. from Word) still shows the folders etc in the "old" style.
 Win 10 - Explorer view, cloud drives gone - devonite
Have you recently installed the Anniversary edition of win10? - according to a Microsoft "What's changed" piece I found Googling there was this:

We have made changes to OneDrive, - OneDrive users will be happy to know that they can now search all their files–both files on the PC and files stored online in OneDrive–from the Start menu.
No, funnily enough I did spend a few minutes trying to force it but gave up.

Still on Version 1511 (OS Build 10586, 545). The Anniversary build is 14393.xxx I believe.
Oh!! Found it!! I'd turned off the Navigation Pane. The bit I'd lost is headed Quick Access.

Win 10 - Explorer view, cloud drives gone - Stuartli
As pointed out, One Drive and Google Drive are listed in the Start menu in the Anniversary version.

Latest Windows 10 version (before Anniversary update) is 1607 (14393.105)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 9 Sep 16 at 16:59
Forgot to point out that File Explorer and Settings icons can be found in the left hand column after left clicking on the Start button.
Keyboard shortcuts are soooo much quicker though :-)
>> Keyboard shortcuts are soooo much quicker though :-)>>

It's one click to the icons......
Yes but you have to put your hand on the mouse and move the pointer to the right position first..

Are you saying for instance you always use the mouse on an "OK/Cancel" screen, when the OK button has focus? That usually involves taking one hand off the keyboard, putting it on the mouse. moving the pointer over the required box then clicking on it. On the keyboard, just hit Return, or Tab Return

I'm not saying it's best for everything but the keyboard is much quicker for many things.
 Win 10 - Explorer view, cloud drives gone - sooty123
You make using a mouse sound exhausting.

;-)
If you watch some people, it is!! A great invention but so clumsy!!
 Win 10 - Explorer view, cloud drives gone - sooty123
Not seen anyone slumped over their desk, exhausted from using the mouse too much. But there's time yet. ;)
Yes, yes, I get what you are saying. :-)
>>Yes but you have to put your hand on the mouse and move the pointer to the right position first..>>

I really can't believe you posted that comment and the follow up sentences if you had seriously thought about it first...:-)

I say that as a touch typist....:-) :-) The only short cuts I use are, as already suggested by others, the C and P, along with Shift to highlight a word or sentences as necessary and C + P or C and + or -.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 10 Sep 16 at 13:30
So when you want to open Explorer do you really grab the mouse, move it to the menu, click to open the menus, scroll to the right place then click? Surely Windows key E is quicker? (I suppose that's a bad example as you will often be using the mouse for the next operation).

When you get a pre-populated drop down, do you use the mouse to scroll down the list to your required entry, or type the initial letter then use the enter key?

I find that latter much quicker. Horses for courses I suppose.
>>I find that latter much quicker. Horses for courses I suppose.>>

Or each to his own. Just because you go a certain route doesn't mean that everyone else should do so as well.

Like changing gear, the use of a mouse is instinctive to me and not surprising after well into a double figure period in years doing so.

I also use a mouse with a laptop as well as I find it quicker and more convenient than an often over sensitive touch pad....:-)
 Win 10 - Explorer view, cloud drives gone - Bromptonaut
>> Keyboard shortcuts are soooo much quicker though :-)

Always use Ctrl P to print from Word and Shift/Insert to paste.
 Win 10 - Explorer view, cloud drives gone - rtj70
CTRL C to copy. CTRL V to paste. CTRL X to cut.
 Win 10 - Explorer view, cloud drives gone - Slidingpillar
CTRL C to copy. CTRL V to paste. CTRL X to cut.

The only keyboard shortcuts I use, and I use them a lot.
 Win 10 - Explorer view, cloud drives gone - VxFan
>> CTRL C to copy. CTRL V to paste. CTRL X to cut.

And in certain applications,

Ctrl Z to undo typing
Ctrl Y to redo typing (if you've undone it)
Ctrl P to print
Ctrl A to select all text
Ctrl F to find something
Ctrl W to close down a web page.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 10 Sep 16 at 20:48
In MS Word if you have TOC and other references/fields that need updating, then:

CTRL A
F9

Should sort it out. Maybe need to do headers/footers separately.
Alt F4 to close a window. Windows key R to run a programme, Ctrl A to Select All, Alt Tab to switch windows, Ctrl B for Bold, Ctrl I for italics.
 Win 10 - Explorer view, cloud drives gone - No FM2R
I don't see key combinations and mouse usage as an either/or situation, or a religious issue.

I know both, I use which ever suits me at any particular moment, and that can be either.

And use of a mouse cannot be instinctive. Intuitive perhaps, but very little is instinctive for a modern human being. And I guess I first used a mouse on a Digital workstation which I suppose must have been around 1989 or thereabouts. A mouse and a keyboard aren't the most complimentary of partners.
The mouse I first used was probably on a BBC Model B in around 1986? I developed a WYSIWYG application with graphics (pop over style), hyperlinks and all sorts for my O level computing project. So it might have started in 1985. Soon after had an Atari ST at home.

Using SUN 3 workstations at university in 1989.

Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 12 Sep 16 at 19:54
Latest Forum Posts