Computer Related > Frozen screen Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 17

Frozen screen - Ambo
Wife's screen is frozen. The mouse arrow is visible but won't move, even after fitting new batteries. The computer can only be shut down by switching off at the mains. Switching off an on makes no difference. What is likely to be wrong please?
 Frozen screen - rtj70
Which version of Windows BTW? Is it a laptop or desktop?

So you are saying when the system starts up, you see the Windows logon screen but cannot move the mouse pointer? Questions:

1. Does the keyboard work?
2. If it's a laptop, what happens if you plug in a mouse.
3. Does the keyboard work when the system is booting up - e.g. get into the BIOS.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 11:19
 Frozen screen - Ambo
Windows 7 desktop (unbranded, assembled by a local computer outfit)

The (wireless) keyboard does not work at all. When turning on, the computer boots up and then the Desktop appears with the frozen arrow. Switching on and off via mains or the mains control on the computer makes no difference.
 Frozen screen - nice but dim
I would try a proper wired keyb and mouse.

It could be receiver at fault not the wireless keyb/mouse.
 Frozen screen - rtj70
Have you got a wired mouse and keyboard?

Do you need to change batteries in the wireless keyboard? Does it use a USB dongle to communicate with - I am guessing yes...

1. Try it on another desktop/laptop
2. Try moving it to a different USB port
 Frozen screen - rtj70
Do you have a different PC too? If this had really just crashed it wouldn't appear on the network. You could check it's visible in networks, even check if it's picked up a recent IP address allocation on the wifi.

When Windows tends to crash it doesn't hang it goes to a BSOD.
 Frozen screen - No FM2R
You know that button with a picture of the Microsoft flag on it? What happens if you press it? You should get the start menu.

You should then be able to scroll up and down that menu using the arrows.

1) mouse not responding
2) If you get start menu, then keyboard is working and the problem is the mouse
3) If you do not get the start window and/or cannot scroll up and down it, then both keyboard and mouse are not responding

If 2), get a wired mouse and try it.

If 3), then is keyboard also wireless?
 Frozen screen - No FM2R
Sorry, just read your second note.

You need to get a wired keyboard and/or mouse from somewhere to test. This is almost certainly your issue, although if so it will take a little investigation to work out exactly what is causing it.
 Frozen screen - spamcan61
Disconnect everything from the PC other than mains and display, then reboot.

Does the screen come to life? Are there any beeps from the machine?

If there's any sign of life then start plugging things back in one at a time and reboot each time.
 Frozen screen - devonite
It may be that your bluetooth has inadvertently been turned off, - like suggested, get either a usb or ps2 mouse, then try this:

Check the following steps to enable bluetooth on windows 7

If you are running a Windows 7 computer system and you want to turn on the Bluetooth in your PC,

click on the ‘Start’ button, right click on ‘My Network Places’,

click on ‘Properties’, right click on ‘Bluetooth adapter’, and then click on ‘Enable’.

After this, your Bluetooth will be turned on and you will be able to connect other devices to your PC.

hth.
 Frozen screen - rtj70
>> Check the following steps to enable bluetooth on windows 7

How's he going to do that without a working keyboard and mouse? :-)

I have a Microsoft wireless mouse for my laptop - it does not use Bluetooth. The radio receiver that goes into the USB port of the computer does not use Bluetooth and needs no paring.

Ambo though needs a working KB and mouse to start the troubleshooting proper. I wonder where about they live.

Always handy to have spare wired KB and mouse.
 Frozen screen - devonite
>>How's he going to do that without a working keyboard and mouse? :-)

>> like suggested, get a usb or ps2 mouse ;-)

some "wireless" keyboards/mice use bluetooth others RF. depends which type he has!
Last edited by: devonite on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 14:12
 Frozen screen - Robin O'Reliant
Funny, that happened to mine a few weeks ago (Win 10). The pointer would move slowly for a minute after booting up, but then freeze completely. All my back ups were up to date so I did a complete re-install of the OS and it was back to normal.

Not an ideal solution, but it worked.
 Frozen screen - rtj70
It does depend on the type. Bluetooth ones need you to pair them.

But if it is Bluetooth your suggestions will be difficult if the mouse and keyboard aren't working. ;-)
 Frozen screen - rtj70
Ambo,

Can you borrow a keyboard and mouse from a friend/neighbour if you don't have a wired set to hand?
 Frozen screen - Ambo
I'll see if I can do that.
 Frozen screen - Ambo
Many thanks for al leads (yes, there is a dongle). No keyboard to be had quickly so the assembler of the machine was called in. He switched it on but held the toggle button in for a full 10 seconds: problem cured. As he said, few people think to do more than press the toggle momentarily.
 Frozen screen - devonite
Hmm! - that's worth remembering! ;-)
Latest Forum Posts