Computer Related > Anti Vir Virus Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 10

Anti Vir Virus - BobbyG
My faughter's laptop seems to have got infected by the above. Kept getting messages claiming all sorts of viruses but unable to just x out of these and not sure what pop-ups were from this Anti Vir and what were genuine windows pop ups.

She was using AVG Free.

I found the following and like a fool I followed the guidelines of starting in safe mode etc but got to a point that says that it has identified the threats but need to pay to get rid of!

www.2-spyware.com/remove-antivir.html

Tried going in on normal mode and running AVG but one by one new tabs were opening at the bottom so I chickened out and shut the system down.

Anyone experienced this? Is it a check-it-into-a-bucket shop to get it removed?

Any help/ thoughts appreciated - I am now wary of googling this as I have no way of knowing if any advice given is genuine or linked to the virus in the first place!!

Anti Vir Virus - Zero
DO a system restore to some time prior to the infection.

and/or

Dump AVG and install Microsoft Security Essentials, it will handle it
 Anti Vir Virus - BobbyG
How do I do that?

Agree re MSE, thats what I use and , sods law, I have been meaning to put it on hers as well :(
 Anti Vir Virus - Zero
Xp, Vista or 7?

Anti Vir Virus - BobbyG
sorry, vista
 Anti Vir Virus - Zero
www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial143.html
 Anti Vir Virus - BobbyG
Cheers, have done that, ran a full AVG and it didn't find anything.

Have now downloaded MSE and running a scan with that. Should it find something even though I have done the system restore?
 Anti Vir Virus - smokie
There are some very thorough anti spyware etc instructions here forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

The tool this once led me to was SUPERantispyware - get it here majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=5116&file=1&evp=4b877f10ddee47cecae8038a2f67054e

Also Malwarebytes here www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=5756&file=15&evp=693ee0b20204960edfd909666f809b26

Both have been most efficient at tidying up computers for me once or twie.
 Anti Vir Virus - BobbyG
MSE didn't find anything either. Should I be concerned? Are these things still on her computer?
 Anti Vir Virus - Zero
they were probably never there in the first place.

If the web homepage is ok, and everything seems of then its probably ok.

As a final check download and install Hitman Pro 3.5

www.surfright.nl/en

Its the best I know at finding this stuff. The free version will find it if its there, but wont fix it
unless you pay. ONce run and system checked safe take it off as it increases start time.

Anti Vir Virus - BobbyG
OK cheers for that ,

Bobby
Latest Forum Posts