Computer Related > DVD playback issues Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 9

DVD playback issues - zippy
The girlfriend brought The Jungle Book on DVD from the supermarket today (goodness knows why when we have a perfectly good Bluray player).

The picture quality is poor and the music drowns out the speech to the extent that it is unwatchable.

I have played with the sound settings on both the DVD player and TV (both Sony) with no success.

Has anyone else had any luck with taking these back if they are so poor once opened?
 DVD playback issues - No FM2R
Almost sounds like you've bought a bootleg copy. Did the girlfriend pay a reasonable price for it and buy it off the supermarket rack, rather than some bloke in the carpark?

I'd go back and do a bit of research looking at other copies back in the store, I'd also check the quality of printing on the DVD cover.

Having said all that, I cannot remember if I've ever changed a DVD for being sub standard, but I doubt it'll be an issue.
 DVD playback issues - zippy
Ta,

It is an original, on the receipt for £9.99.

Printing looks fine and it has a hologram.

Would a new one be any better, I thought they were all pressed from the same master?
If its legit, then yes you would expect them all to be the same.

Any differences would be "digital" differences, if you see what I mean. So not sound or picture quality, more likely to be not working at all, or bits missing.

So no, I would not expect another to be better.

I suppose its not just because you're used to the quality of Blu-ray?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 25 Aug 16 at 21:12
 DVD playback issues - Slidingpillar
Does your PC play DVDs? (most do)

One of my DVDs won't play properly on my DVD player, but is perfect on the laptop. Not greatly surprised, my DVD play is the first mass-market player, and in technology terms has long gone past the pipe and slippers stage... But as it's only the one, not really a cue to change the player.
 DVD playback issues - devonite
Which Jungle Book DVD is it? - if its the Disney Animated one we have that and it plays perfect, so if they are all pressed from one master maybe you have a Friday night job! If it's the actual Kipling film version then We haven't got that so can't compare. Sometimes when I get an obviously dodgy copy (pirated) I find that I can sometimes deaden the music volume if I use the computer to play it, and flatten some of the HTZ sliders on the sound card mixer panel.
 DVD playback issues - Ambo
I don't know how many thousands of DVDs and Blu-rays I have played but here is an entirely new problem.

It concerns a Lovefilm two-Blu-ray extended version set of "The Lord of the Rings - Return of the King". They played normally but the sound turned off just at the start of the films but after the introductory bits. The picture was excellent but both were defective. I sent them back with the envelope marked accordingly but Amazon is not open to extended explanations and faulty discs are replaced free of charge with what should be sound ones, but I wonder how they will pick up this odd fault.

Here's another playback issue. I have used (free version) Spotify for about 5 years without problems but three days ago it lapsed into "stuck needle" mode on a number of different tracks, the way a scratched shellac or vinyl disk might do, playing the same grove over and over. The only way to stop this is to close down the computer and start afresh, until the next occurrence.
I had a similar program, but playing from VLC rather than streaming.

It turned out that the program was crashing, but not closing. Using Task Manager to close it was not effective, a reboot was required. Ultimately in my case it was the early signs of a failing disk, it may very well be an entirely different cause with yours.

Next time it happens, trying starting the Task Manager and killing Spotify from there. See what happens - hopefully it will close, but if it doesn't then it requires investigation.

Also, when opening Task Manager look to see if CPU, Memory or Disk usage is unusually high.
Thanks, will try.
Latest Forum Posts