Computer Related > Windows 10 Annoying Sound Issues Computing Issues
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 11

Windows 10 Annoying Sound Issues - zippy
Hi,

When a browser (Chrome or Edge?) has a video with sound playing, it plays sound even though the master volume is off / mute (with the appropriate "x" next to the speaker in the task bar).

This is very annoying, especially when in a quiet room or on the train.

Is there any way to ensure that all applications use the setting?
 Windows 10 Annoying Sound Issues - No FM2R
Mine does, can you give me an example of a website that does this to you so that I can check?
 Windows 10 Annoying Sound Issues - rtj70
I just tried it and if the computer's sound is off... no sound comes from the browser window. Very odd behaviour.
>>www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/18/night-tube-the-strangest-facts-about-the-london-underground/?playlist=structure%3Anews

Plays in all it's audio glory!

The audio mixer all show the speaker with a red no entry sign: the speaker volume is playing and there are icons also for System Sounds and Windows 10 (with the Chrome Logo) and the name of the video or tab being played.

The audio speakers (device) is Realtek High Definition Audio!

I will try and find some updated drivers on the Dell site and see if that helps!
Will be back at a computer in an hour and will give it a go.
I am on Windows 10 and it is behaving as I would expect.

i went to that website and it autoplayed, but the volume was entirely subject to the master volume on my computer, using the volume mixer. It worked as expected in Chrome, Waterfox and Edge.

I can only think that you are turning down one of the individual volumes, rather than the master volume. Seems unlikely, but that's all I can think of.
 Windows 10 Annoying Sound Issues - Manatee
Mine is using something called Conexant SmartAudio. It seems to work OK.

Via Control Panel, select sound, and the playback device in use (presumably the Realtek thing). Click properties and disable it. See what happens. Enable it. See what happens. You will either find out something useful, or not. If it breaks your PC I apologise.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 19 Aug 16 at 20:15
 Windows 10 Annoying Sound Issues - BrianByPass
Telegraph videos, since the site was redesigned a few months ago, exhibit following behaviour in Windows 7 on my PC. Volume on Telegraph app appears set to zero on launch, yet the volume on the PC plays at the level set in Windows control panel. Then moving the slider on the app increases the volume further and also shows up the mute/unmute option on the speaker symbol.
Thanks for all of your replies.

Not going mad here! The problem really existed.....

New drivers downloaded from Dell seem to have cured this (oddly not a sound driver but an Intel Video Driver and an Intel Systems Driver set).
Nope not fixed! This morning a noisy video startled me when I was doing the online crossword - all sound is turned off!

Grr!

Will try to update the BIOS later to see if that makes a difference as I cannot locate an up to date sound driver at the moment.
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 20 Aug 16 at 10:33
 Windows 10 Annoying Sound Issues - devonite
As a temporary fix you could just plug a jack-plug into the headphone socket (needn't have a wire or speaker attached).
Good idea!

I have a broken set somewhere that the dog chewed.
Latest Forum Posts