Computer Related > Tablet Turning Off Computing Issues
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 9

Tablet Turning Off - maltrap
My Samsung Galaxy Tab3 10" has startd to switch itself off even when there is a decent amount of charge in it. Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated. It's 18 months old.
 Tablet Turning Off - Manatee
Check the power settings? If it has had a software update they might have changed.
 Tablet Turning Off - rtj70
Do you mean turning itself off completely as if you'd held down the power button and selected POWER OFF?
 Tablet Turning Off - No FM2R
While it is being used ir when idle?

When you turn it back on does it still have a reasonable charge?
 Tablet Turning Off - Stuartli
I presume that Samsung uses the same Android Settings for the Display as other mobile phone marques. If so, try going to Settings>Display, gestures and buttons>Screen timeout and checking that it doesn't timeout earlier or later than required.

However, in the case of my Google Nexus 10, the Display tab in Settings also include a Sleep function, which might be the answer in your case. Mine is set to 30 minutes at present.
We can only guess what the problem is.

One thing I wondered was the setting to keep the display on when you're looking at it now turned off? It's called Smart Stay.
It turns itself off completely when not being used. Just tried charging & it shows full charge after a couple of hours.Normally the screen would get slightly warm whilst charging this isn't happening. Would a "factory reset" help ?
I don't think a factory reset will help.

So you say it showed full after a few hours charging - what was the charge level like if you just turned it on?

There are some discussions about problems with the battery connector for the Galaxy Tab 3. But if that was the case it would be more likely to turn off when moved or being held and have problems turning back on.
 Tablet Turning Off - No FM2R
No. 2 has one of these and it has generally been pretty good.

However, a year or so ago it did start dicking around similarly to yours, though it would shutdown when in use or at rest.

It was the battery. These are not supposed to be replaceable, although it is a fairly trivial job to do so. About the difficulty of an Airfix spitfire but quicker.

As rtj says, a reset may help but it is unlikely. If it causes you no issue with loss of configuration, programs, data, then give it a go.

When a device starts misunderstanding its battery capacity it also displays the 'incorrect' statistics. So, by watching that it charges to 100%, that it discharges to 1% or 2%, the charging time etc. etc. you should be able to see if the device is misunderstanding its battery, this can happen although is less likely these days.

Check for any swelling on the back of the device. Failing batteries quite often swell and since this is a tight fit, then its frequently obvious.

It is quite possible that the Tablet is doing something. You'd notice fast discharging because the battery will get warm while it is doing it. So when the circumstances are right for it to do its switching off trick, keep an eye to see if its warm.

Shake it to see if you can encourage it to turn off. In case the battery is loose or the connectors unreliable.

Ultimately though one of these is now £40 odd quid secondhand so its not worth too much repairing. (at least, that's what they are here I cannot think its too much different)
Thanks FM that sounds just like my symptoms. I think the battery charge readout maybe incorrect & it switches off because of low battery. it's working at the moment, just hope it charges next time i plug it in.
Latest Forum Posts