Computer Related > Anyone got a 1&1 hosted website? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Slidingpillar Replies: 13

Anyone got a 1&1 hosted website? - Slidingpillar
Last time I connected (FTP) and uploaded new pages to a website just fine, but today, very flaky. I connect, list the contents fine, but any other operation gives me an error. Whats there displays fine, just can't update it.

I'm pretty convinced it's not me as I get the same results on three PCs, with three different antivirus programs (long story) and two different operating systems.

status-1and1.co.uk/ claims there are no known issues, but I can't actually tell them this is cods wallop as I cannot ring. Email is only possible if you are the bill payer and have account details (or somesuch). I do the web sites for a shop and the local scout group both of which use 1&1. I connect and can FTP just fine to a third site hosted by someone else.

I do have other options in the week, but if others also have the same problem, 1&1 in theory should do something about it and if the matter is in hand, I need not worry (in theory).
 Anyone got a 1&1 hosted website? - No FM2R
I can't help other than being quite happy to ring on your behalf if you wish and it would help.
 Anyone got a 1&1 hosted website? - Kevin
Classic symptoms of directory/file ownership or permission problems on the server side Slidingpillar but that doesn't help if they won't talk to you.

What's the error message?

If you are savvy with decoding ftp traffic, wireshark will confirm the return codes. In the end though you'll probably need help from someone with access to the ftp server log.
Error 502 is returned.

As it's not an urgent problem, I'll wait and see if Monday bring changes. I can email a website professional, but don't like to do it as he has done quite a lot (unpaid) for the scout group. True, he gets paid for the other site, but as that is a new business and I'm peripherally involved, I try to minimise costs.

We'll see I think. I only asked as if somebody else had the same problem, it could be helpful.
Interesting. I downloaded FileZilla. First connection didn't work at all, but second did, and I transferred a file no problem. Quick check with my preferred client (WS_FTP LE) and that still errors.

Need to do some research I think. WS FTP is preferred as although it is simple, for the job, nothing more was needed. FileZilla offers all sorts of other things and I did have to think a bit!
Filezilla is out - home of malware. I did try to tick the right box, but still ended up with something I don't want and my home page and preferred browser changed...

Classic FTP seems to work on the laptop (Windows 10) but this morning at least, the Vista machine was fine, and the laptop not. So I'll put Classic FTP on both the new desktop and laptop and hopefully that will do.

Aparently, some sites are not as easy as others to FTP, there's me thinking they were all the same.
Classic FTP is un-recommended! b****** thing claims to be free - it's not, it's free to download for a months trial. So I'll have to find another FTP that a) works, b) really free and not search engine fooling free, and c) not inordinately complicated.

Any suitable recommendation will be looked at, but I'm going to be a bit busy so may not respond quickly.
 Anyone got a 1&1 hosted website? - devonite
I use NetObjects Fusion for ftp for the website I look after, seems pretty easy to use.

essentials.netobjects.com/html/features.html

runs o.k on Win 7 + 10.
Last edited by: devonite on Wed 17 Aug 16 at 23:13
Ta, I'll look into it later tomorrow. I have kicked Classic FTP into life on the desk pooter, so it does behold me to try again on the laptop as I would prefer to use the same program on both PCs.

But I'm not very impressed by the problem, so I will definitely try the Net Objects.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Wed 17 Aug 16 at 23:25
 Anyone got a 1&1 hosted website? - borasport
NOF isn't bad, but it is difficult to create 'mobile friendly' websites and that, these days, will affect the way google ranks your sites

it does have a built in ftp client, but it isn't one of the best - I certainly don't bother to use it. I'd recommend Ipswitch WS_FTP, which is free and fully functional
 Anyone got a 1&1 hosted website? - Duncan
Nice to hear from you.
As per post 5, the fact that WS_FTP LE failed was what started all this.
 Anyone got a 1&1 hosted website? - rtj70
What other SFTP clients have you tried? Have you tried WinSCP or PSFTP (that's the one related to the PuTTY)? The latter might be command line only - I've not used it.

But skimming the thread and you might be just using FTP... Surprised that's supported from a security perspective.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 19 Aug 16 at 16:42
Currently using Classic FTP, the free version.
I may have initially downloaded the wrong version on the laptop, but it'll take another month to see if things are ok.

I looked at the screen shots for WinSCP and for updating a basic website, it does far, far more than I need. I only need to be able to move files (between remote server and my pc or visa versa) and be able to rename files on the remote server, either for a seamless update, or to write a .htaccess file which not all flavours on Windows will let you do.

Security wise - I think the same risk as any site that gives you Cpanel (I no longer have it) but it's a very cumbersome method of updating. I do not use a web editor to update, and my sites have proper css files, not the silly thing that Microsoft thinks you should do.

I have no problem in holding a quite complex site map in my head, probably stems from the huge amount of work I put in on the first BBC Reception Advice site circa 2001. Written by the BBC web team in the early days and as presented, had spelling, grammar, factual errors as well as broken and incorrect links. Not really my job either, but I seemed to be able to talk to the right people for such things, in this case, the then head of BBC online and for a long time afterwards, our web team were accessing on my authority...
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Fri 19 Aug 16 at 17:32
Latest Forum Posts