Computer Related > Vodafone phone Computing Issues
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 37

Vodafone phone - Roger.
Just to throw in an alternative - my daughter has just bought this for £115.00. The black version is £104.99.

www.amazon.co.uk/Vodafone-Smart-Android-Smartphone-Silver-Silver/dp/B013F8UIX2

Locked to Vodafone, as sold, but an unlock code on ebay was a couple of quid.
She has a monthly rolling contract with Virgin at a silly cheap price, so her SIM has swapped to that.

As an ex iPhone user she's impressed with VFM and performance although she really wanted the Samsung S7 Edge at about 6 times the cost.:-)
 Vodafone phone - Stuartli
>>Locked to Vodafone, as sold, but an unlock code on ebay was a couple of quid.>>

I've just pre-ordered the HTC 10, but looked up a review of this Vodafone Smart 6 from one of my respected reviews etc websites:

www.trustedreviews.com/vodafone-smart-ultra-6-review

Stands up well although the Samsung Galaxy J5 is well regarded (along with the Moto G), whilst being somewhat more expensive even for a keenly priced phone.
 Vodafone phone - Roger.
Daughter, who is a "proper" photographer with lots of expensive kit, is happy with the phone, as a phone, but underwhelmed by the camera function.
She may send it back!
(What does she expect from a smartphone costing £115, I wonder?)
Any road up - I've ordered one for myself to try - I don't do photography, so that aspect is not a deal breaker. Being able to hear callers is, so that is the real question for me.
 Vodafone phone - Roger.
Getting to grips with my first Android smartphone!

Q. Does anyone know how to find my OWN device phone number?

(It's not showing under Settings/About Phone/Status/SIM status/My phone number.)
 Vodafone phone - rtj70
It will be the same as when the SIM was in your previous phone. So I assume you just don't remember your own number.

In theory, going to settings on Android, then About Device and Settings, you should find it somewhere. Perhaps under SIM Card status or it might be Phone Number - it depends on the version of Android, etc.

But I do know on my Android phones, with a Vodafone SIM it shows as unknown because it's not stored on the SIM card. On Vodafone you can dial *#100# and it will retrieve your number from the network.

Perhaps you'll find your number - do you use GiffGaff or something?
 Vodafone phone - Stuartli
I have Android 6.0 on an HTC One M8 using GiffGaff.

The usual Phone Number availability via Settings>About>Status>Phone Identity doesn't list my phone number.

Might be due to the fact that it's an unlocked Vodaphone phone, but the SIM card was a new one as I switched from my original GiffGaff MicroSD SIM to a GG Nano SIM, which you then have to activate to transfer the number.
 Vodafone phone - RichardW
Phone a friend!!??!!
 Vodafone phone - VxFan
>> Phone a friend!!??!!

Yep, that's the simplest solution. Just phone another mobile phone. Or phone a landline and either look at the caller display, or dial 1471 to find out the last number that was called.
 Vodafone phone - Focusless
*#100# ?

EDIT: ie. try 'ringing' that number (without the ?)
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 20 Apr 16 at 12:56
 Vodafone phone - rtj70
Note calling *#100# is only Vodafone (I think). It didn't work on my work EE SIM. But there's probably an equivalent for each of the other networks.

Finding an IMEI number is universally *#06# and doesn't need you to actually phone it. On my Samsung Galaxy S6 it shows both IMEI and serial numbers with each also shown as a barcode.
If *#100# doesn't work, try *1# or text “NUM” to 51230
www.knowreviewtip.com/check-find/check-own-number-t-mobile-virgin-sim-uk/
 Vodafone phone - Roger.
I can NEVER remember my mobile number :-(

In the end I phoned it from our land-line which has it in memory.
It rang, so confirming that it is the same as my original number, as I did a GiffGaff SIM swap after unlocking (£1.69) and activating.

The ring tone is properly loud: hearable as long as I have my hearing aid in, but I'm not yet sure about voice volume in calls. More testing.

The supplied instructions are sparse and I think a user who had not used an Android device before would be in real trouble.
There is an on-line .pdf instruction sheet, but it's 105 pages long, so not really a printable option!

Seems a nice phone so far, especially at the price tag of £115, in silver, from Amazon (The Vodafone shop retails these at £130 !!!
 Vodafone phone - rtj70
>> I can NEVER remember my mobile number :-(

Store it as one of your contacts so if someone asks you for it you can look it up.
 Vodafone phone - rtj70
The Vodafone/ZTE phone looks to have fairly good specifications for a device that's available for about £105 (black ones).

You'd have thought these two phones would have had more similar specs:

www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7168&idPhone2=7313
 Vodafone phone - CGNorwich
Phone number is to be found in in Settings/About Phone/Status/SIM status
 Vodafone phone - rtj70
>> Phone number is to be found in in Settings/About Phone/Status/SIM status

Keep up. Roger said at 11:29

(It's not showing under Settings/About Phone/Status/SIM status/My phone number.)

It is if it's stored on the SIM. But in Roger's case it isn't so does not appear there. It doesn't for me with a Vodafone SIM either. So that's not a solution.

If he can't remember it then storing as a contact for reference would be a good idea. He could then send it as a vCard message to people easily.

On Vodafone *#100# will get the phone number from the network. There will be an equivalent for O2, EE and 3 in the UK. GiffGaff is of course O2. Virgin Mobile is EE. etc.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 21 Apr 16 at 01:31
 Vodafone phone - Roger.
I have already entered it in contacts as "Roger"!

Tks 4 hlp, peeps. (Is that right in the smartphone age?)
Oh right!

As you say for phone with a Vodaphone SIM you need to dial #100#
>> As you say for phone with a Vodaphone SIM you need to dial #100#

...but I think it's on Virgin (see top post), hence *1#

EDIT: or is it GiffGaff?
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 21 Apr 16 at 10:49
 Vodafone phone - Roger.
GiffGaff: me.

Virgin Not me!
Last edited by: Roger. on Thu 21 Apr 16 at 17:48
I thought you changed to "3" - cheapest PAYG.
 Vodafone phone - Roger.
I've still got twenty quid credit with GiffGaff! ;-)
I guess that will last you a good couple of years then.
 Vodafone phone - Roger.
Probably 👍
 Vodafone phone - Roger.
Our gorgeous and precocious granddaughter is coming up to 10 next month.
What sort of smartphone would do?
It must be reasonably priced, but not look too primitive when compared with the iPhone 6s her contemporaries at school no doubt have.
(One of her brother's year. a Chinese lad, has three iPhones, including the latest!).
We (her ma and I) were wondering if a Vodafone, like the ones we have, might do - or is it too big for delicate paws?
 Vodafone phone - Falkirk Bairn
10? too young IMHO
 Vodafone phone - VxFan
>> 10? too young IMHO

You'd be surprised nowadays. Woman with 3 kids in the doctors surgery the other day. I would estimate the youngest was 3 or 4, and the eldest 7 or 8. Each had their own iPhone6.

Anyway, back to the OP's question. if all her friends have the latest iPhones and the like, then she'll need the same, or else face possible torment and micky taking from them. A few years ago it was trainers, if you had a cheap unbranded pair then you'd have the micky taken out of you, now it's phones.
 Vodafone phone - John Boy
In the eighties, it was being picked up from school by someone in a Skoda.
 Vodafone phone - Roger.
Or a Lada!
I once lost a sale of a new Lada Riva because the brat of the family complained bitterly of the social deprivation he faced if he was picked up from school in one.
 Vodafone phone - Roger.
Although they are at a private school, not all the kids come from money, as there are about 300 other service brats amongst the pupils.
 Vodafone phone - Roger.
Well, grandson now has his mother's iPhone 5 and granddaughter is getting a refurbed iPhone 5 to match.
No sibling rivalry!

The power of brand magic!
 Vodafone phone - zippy
iPhone 5!?

You know that they are made in China by Chinese foreigners, don't you Roger! I am surprised that you allow that foreign rubbish in your home!

:-)
Last edited by: zippy on Thu 5 May 16 at 20:40
 Vodafone phone - rtj70
Roger's ZTE Vodafone mobile was made in China by Chinese workers too. He's not naive enough to think Vodafone make them in the UK. He's quite happy with it I think.
 Vodafone phone - Roger.
Don't worry - it's part of the "mocking of Roger" at every opportunity, real or imagined.

It's childish and reflects the character of the mockers!
 Vodafone phone - Roger.
Update:
The gloss has worn a bit thin!
The phone gets very hot in use, (not just in the current high temperatures), with just a few ordinary apps running. (NO games).
When this happens random screens/apps open and close with no user input and will not close using the usual method.
Only a forced cooling (car air-con for example) or a power off shutdown , will close the open apps.
I have tried a factory re-set and so-called "Cooling apps" to no avail, so I emailed Amazon who are, without argument, replacing it with an identical mode. (Old phone to be returned within 30 days: I'll send it straight away.)
This new phone is being treated as a new order from me, so I'm mulling over a straightforward return with £££ refund when it arrives and purchasing a different modestly priced phone.
My wife's MOTO G 3rd generation, has performed fine in the same ambient temperatures, so that's a possibility if it supports Android pay. (She won't use contactless cards so the question has not surfaced before.
Whatever I buy must have a NFC capability, so any suggestions: under two hundred quid?
 Vodafone phone - rtj70
>> Whatever I buy must have a NFC capability, so any suggestions: under two hundred quid?

Is it only really hot in these temperatures or a bit hot anyway? More and more high spec phones are cheap but might have a similar problem. Install an app like OS Monitor to see what it's doing.

It will be cold by the end of the week. Just don't go to live in Greece.
 Vodafone phone - Roger.
>> >> Whatever I buy must have a NFC capability, so any suggestions: under two hundred
>> quid?
>>
>> Is it only really hot in these temperatures or a bit hot anyway? More and
>> more high spec phones are cheap but might have a similar problem. Install an app
>> like OS Monitor to see what it's doing.

Hot in any weather!. New (replacement) phone arrived, so I'm in the tedious business of downloading Lollipop 5.1 and setting up the phone. New unlock code just to be ordered!
We will see!

Vodafone phone - Duncan
>> In the eighties, it was being picked up from school by someone in a Skoda.

I had to walk to school, licking the road clean with my tongue as I went.

True.
Latest Forum Posts