Computer Related > Registering a domain Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 10

Registering a domain - SteelSpark
I need to register a domain name (under both .com and .co.uk) and to have them both hosted.

The ISP that I use (PlusNet) will host them for me for free with my broadband package, but to register them for two years would appear to cost £93 for .com and the £53 for .co.uk

Other sites that offer domain registration seem to offer it for far less. 123-reg.co.uk seems to offer .com for £20 and .co.uk for £6.

Now, the problem is that I have not dug into the small print, and even if I did I'm not sure what to look out for.

So, I wondered if anybody could advise on the most cost effective option.

PlusNet don't charge to transfer in a .co.uk domain, but charge £18 to transfer in a .com domain.

I haven't really looked into limits on the free hosting with PlusNet, but the websites will be little more than online business cards (will also use the domain for email), so there should be little in the way of bandwidth usage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Registering a domain - RattleandSmoke
123reg is fine but don't bother with their hosting. I use 34sp.com for my hosting but its not the cheapest around.

Also what type of hosting does plusnet offer?
>> 123reg is fine but don't bother with their hosting. I use 34sp.com for my hosting
>> but its not the cheapest around.
>>
>> Also what type of hosting does plusnet offer?

Thanks Rattle.

Not really about the plusnet hosting, their website isn't very informative.

www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/hosting/index.shtml

I only need the simplest sort of website, just a few static html pages and email via that domain, so I would hope that they would cover that.

Do you know if I could just register them with 123 and then just move them to plusnet? Would that likely incur extra costs, and would it take ages?

I'm going to look into it myself, of course, but just wondering if you have a rough idea.

Thanks again.
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Fri 30 Jul 10 at 14:47
 Registering a domain - RattleandSmoke
You can transfer any domain registered via 123reg for free, but the company you move to may charge.
Thanks Rattle.

I had a slightly deeper look at their website and it seems that you can't transfer for the first 60 days after setup.

PlusNet does seem to offer a single co.uk domain for £1 per month though, so I might look at registering the .co.uk with them for now, registering the .com with 123reg and then moving it after the 60 day period.

Thanks again.
Hmmm...clearly I have misunderstood this.

PlusNet host the domain, including the email, but there is no web space, so I need to look again...oh, and they also still actually charge £52 to register the domain.

All I want is to be able to do is have a domain, have maybe a handful of webpages, and be able to send and receive emails under that domain.

Maybe I will do it via 123reg for now...
 Registering a domain - smokie
Don't most ISPs gave you some web space these days? Virgin does. I have my own domains, purely for email, with 123, but can redirect the web page to any host I like. I tried it once and it worked OK, putting up something on my Virgin page.
 Registering a domain - teabelly
Check out heart internet as they do reasonably priced registration and hosting together. If you do register the .com then transfer quite often you have to pay to transfer it in. There's also godaddy that are a big name in hosting. I have had domains with 123-reg for ages and they've been pretty good. I wouldn't use their hosting though.

If you have both the .co.uk and .com then I don't think you can host both of them in the plusnet space as I think you can only host a single domain. But if you can find a cloaked redirect service ie it forwards it and keeps the url the same then it saves you doubleing up on the development time.

There are quite a few free or very cheap hosting places around. Definitely worth checking out a few and having them ready just in case you have a problem with the plusnet one.
Last edited by: teabelly on Fri 30 Jul 10 at 20:10
 Registering a domain - sherlock47
Use www.uk2.net/domain-names/ for registration and then host at the cheapest place that you can find. UK2 offer free forwarding ( altho it may carry some advertising) and email facilities.

I have used them for 7 years for 6 sites , without any problems for hosting, absolutely no operational problems, ( minor billing issues but resolved immediately with a phone call).

Not the cheapest for hosting , but you tend to get what you pay for!

Registering a domain - MD
I use NAMESCO for hosting and they are brilliant, contactable and very helpful.

M
Many thanks for all this advice guys.

I have gone with uk2.net just on their "Home" package, which is £4 + VAT a month (if you take it for 2 years), although I have ended up paying £20 inc VAT for just a 3 month contract, because I wanted to try them out first (includes the 1 year domain registration for free, so not too bad).

All good so far, a couple of teething problems, but the support does seem very responsive.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Latest Forum Posts