Computer Related > Windows tablets Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 33

Windows tablets - Roger.
Are W10 tablets any good - thinking of getting a cheap one for t'misssus.
She finds her MotoG screen too hard to read and still hasn't used it as a phone.
Duh! Waste of £££

tinyurl.com/h5heee4
Last edited by: Roger. on Sun 14 Feb 16 at 10:10
 Windows tablets - Duncan

>> tinyurl.com/h5heee4
>>

Windows tablets - Roger.
www.shop.bt.com/products/linx-7-windows-8-tablet-7--ips-touch-screen-quad-core-1gb-32gb-linx7-9S52.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc%20product%20search&utm_campaign=PLA%20|%20Shopping%20|%20All%20Products&gclid=CMef4b6H98oCFagy0wod8OYKHw
 Windows tablets - rtj70
Roger, that Windows tablet is running Windows 8. I doubt it would be upgradeable to Windows 10 either.

If you're trying to get your wife to use an Android phone, giving her a Windows tablet with a totally different style of UI (tiled) might not be the best thing to do. Unless maybe you're thinking of trying her on a Windows based smartphone too.

Windows tablets - Roger.
She might well like to have her old Samsung phone back! It's not "smart" but it has Bluetooth, email and web browsing, I think.
I was hoping that the MotoG would be our main outgoing call phone on a smallish t££ tariff, so I could cancel our BT anytime plan which is now all but eight quid a month.
She's baulked at "her" phone being the main one for household use and still isn't interested enough to learn the MotoG's telephony.
Big fail on my part.
She is anti new technology, insofar as she likes the familiar and hates the unfamiliar. She gets impatient if a device doesn't perform absolutely as it always has done!
(I still have to fix the simplest out of the ordinary PC "event", even though we have both been using computers for many years!)
 Windows tablets - bathtub tom
>>BT anytime plan which is now all but eight quid a month.

Plusnet do it for six.
 Windows tablets - Mike H
>> She is anti new technology, insofar as she likes the familiar and hates the unfamiliar.
>> She gets impatient if a device doesn't perform absolutely as it always has done!
>> (I still have to fix the simplest out of the ordinary PC "event", even though
>> we have both been using computers for many years!)
>>
That's a relief, someone else has a wife like mine! I thought I was alone ;-)

And obviously, those PC extraordinary events will always occur when she's using the laptop....
 Windows tablets - Roger.

>> And obviously, those PC extraordinary events will always occur when she's using the laptop....

.......and while I'm in the middle of summat on mine!
 Windows tablets - Roger.
For under forty squids it's worth taking a chance, so I've ordered one!
 Windows tablets - rtj70
But your first question was what are Windows 10 tablets like. Then you ordered a Windows 8 tablet.
 Windows tablets - Roger.
Price!
 Windows tablets - BrianByPass
>> Price!
>>

and it says "Free upgrade to Windows 10
Linx 7" Quad Core, Windows 8 Tablet PC with 32GB Storage This stylish Quad-Core 7 inch Tablet PC from Linx has all the power of Windows 8 (upgradeable to Windows 10 for free) "
 Windows tablets - Skip
>> For under forty squids it's worth taking a chance, so I've ordered one!
>>

So have I !
 Windows tablets - Focusless
>> For under forty squids

FWIW £96 on ebuyer :o
 Windows tablets - nice but dim
Roger, I've had a Linx 7 for almost a year. Has been used daily (and mostly by a now 4 year old) so treatment leaves a lot to be desired. rtj is right that my model cannot be upgraded to Win10 (I tried but it backed out halfway through) but I'm not too bothered.

I use to stream to my TV via Chromecat but mine has a micro HDMI to show to TV also, I often use via a USB Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and so far sstill holding up well. I paid £80 a year ago for mine from Amazon.

I get the odd power off (a couple of instances) andn the battery last 3 hours.

Its powerful enough to replace a desktop PC for general web browsing, downloading and video watching.
 Windows tablets - smokie
That is so cheap I just had to have one. Not really sure I have a use for it at the moment, in fact I'm sure I don't!! Please don't post too many really good deals... :-)
 Windows tablets - sherlock47
Doe it have a micro HDMI connector? The spec says not, but somebody upthread says it does! The 8inch version supposedly has one.

That would make it a useful TV add on.
my year old Linx 7 has for for sure.
 Windows tablets - smokie
Mine has just arrived and yes it does have micro HDMI. Tho the screen only supports 800 x 1280 (that's not HDMI is it?) Also takes a microSD.
 Windows tablets - Zero
>> Mine has just arrived and yes it does have micro HDMI. Tho the screen only
>> supports 800 x 1280 (that's not HDMI is it?) Also takes a microSD.

Its not a standard HD resolution, tho most teles should be able to scale it.
 Windows tablets - rtj70
>> only supports 800 x 1280 (that's not HDMI is it?) Also takes a microSD.

HDMI is the interface and nothing to do with the resolution. I would think Full HD TVs should scale that. Not sure about older HD ready (720p) because it's a higher resolution than they support natively - although most of those downscale 1080i.
 Windows tablets - Roger.
OK- how do I make a new folder on the desktop with this W8.1 tablet?
Google does not help.
Is there an equivalent of right click on a mouse?
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
 Windows tablets - Focusless
To right-click an item on a Windows 7 or Windows 8 tablet, follow these two simple steps:

1. Touch the item with your finger or stylus, and keep the finger or stylus pressed down gently. In a moment, a square or circle will appear, shown in the top, left figure.
2. Lift your finger or stylus, and the right-click menu appears, listing all the things you can do with that item.

www.andyrathbone.com/2012/03/12/how-do-i-right-click-on-a-touch-screen-tablet/

(google "windows tablet right click")
 Windows tablets - Roger.
Thank you for that.

The set-up failed first time, with numerous apps not installing, the time and date not updating, the search engines not working (related to expired ssl certs as the date was wrong) and W10 failing to install.
So a full wipe out and re-set-up, this time using the express settings, thus enabling all MS telemetry etc. That seems to have worked, so far: including logging into my wife's MS and Firefox accounts and syncing Firefox.
Next (tomorrow) is setting up Thunderbird and trying a W10 update, but for now that's it!
PS I linked to our TV via Bluetooth - what does that do?
Last edited by: Roger. on Thu 18 Feb 16 at 20:15
Roger - I don't think the Windows 10 update will install.

Mine passed the pre-flight checks and started but backed out on forst boot and (thankfully) rolled back.

I would stick with what is on it and Windows 8/8.1 aint all that bad.

PS - It doesn't like to be charged via a USB socket, 3 pin adapter all the way.
 Windows tablets - Bromptonaut
Ordered one as replacement for my ailing Hudl. If it only ever functions as a 'listen again' device in the caravan it'll be a bargain.
 Windows tablets - smokie
Fresh out of the box and on first boot mine (Linx7) wanted Windows 10. So I did it, after correcting the time and date. My, it was slow downloading it (200mb connection!). I thought I'd bricked it once it appeared to have completed,. as I was on a screen requiring inout but it wasn't recognising the touch screen. So I used the USB adapter to connect a proper mouse and after a reboot it was OK, and it went on to install dome more drivers and now seems to be working.

More playing tomorrow probably. It has no apps on it yet. But the Firestick might arrive tomorrow. Sooo many shiny things... :-)
 Windows tablets - Roger.
Windows 10 fully installed! I suspect that for the installation to work Windows 8.1 is fully updated first.
Any road up, that was what I did and while it was slow and tedious updating W 8.1, the W10 installation went perfectly OK.
I've got rid of the horrid tiles and installed Firefox & Thunderbird, synced Firefox so all my wife's bookmarks and so on, are on the tablet.
The tablet instructions are pathetic and I bet that anyone not pretty familiar with Windows OS would really struggle.
 Windows tablets - Roger.
Grr. Trying to set up Thunderbird mail account is driving me nuts!
The wretched keyboard appears for the user password, but disappears when trying to input user name.
Similarly if I try and input server settings (user name, server name, port & security ) from within TB itself the cursor flashes where input is required, but the keyboard refuses to appear!
I'm beginning to like Android!
 Windows tablets - Roger.
Sorted it (Tks. to Linx UK forums)
Right click (i.e press & hold) taskbar and an option to show keyboard is offered.
Thunderbird set up & working!
 Windows tablets - Roger.
Groan - she likes her Moto G (Android) better :-( .......even tho' the screen is small, which was the reason for trying a 7" tablet.
Forty quid sort of wasted!
 Windows tablets - smokie
Shame I got mine so quick. It's actually quite good, but I'm not sure whT I will do with it. It now has Windows 10 and I've imaged the C drive so I can recover it in the event of a serious issue. Next thing is to find out how to get rid of the awful desktop tiles, or at least manage them so they are things which I want to see...

I was discussing with a mate last night and he was quite interested in it, but he's now away for 2 weeks. I can ask him if he wants to buy a second hand one when he's back, but I think he'd say no.
 Windows tablets - Roger.
Well, I am at this moment, resetting ours, which will leave it with W10, but hopefully, no personal stuff.
It will then be for sale!
 Windows tablets - Roger.
Now on Flea Bay along with loads more!
Latest Forum Posts