Computer Related > Extending wifi Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 14

Extending wifi - Bobby
Would like to extend my wifi so that I can use it in my man shed but want to do this as cheaply as possible.

I have a couple of the Netgear Powerline AV+200 Adapters that my dad previously used but doesn't anymore. These allow internet to be ran down the mains cable but they are not wifi, so would need to plug in device into the Powerline adaptor in the shed. Fine if laptop but not if phone or tablet.

Is there any way I can make these wifi? Can I add a wifi router on the end or will that not work / complicate matters?
 Extending wifi - smokie
You can do that, or you can buy powerlines with wifi (probably £45 - £60) or maybe even a wifi extender (c £20) would do it - what's the distance between your indoor socket nearest to your shed, and the shed?
 Extending wifi - rtj70
I'd test the power line adapters to make sure a decent signal reaches the shed before spending money. You could plug in a wifi capable router to provide Internet access for phones, tablets etc. You'd probably want to switch off the DHCP server on the router unless it's a cable router (so has a WAN port) and you're going to set it up to have a separate LAN subnet for the shed.
 Extending wifi - Kevin
>I'd test the power line adapters to make sure a decent signal reaches the shed before spending money.

Yes indeedy.

It worked OK for me though. I improved WiFi coverage in our garden with powerline adapters, the 'remote' one installed in Mrs K's garden shed connected to an old Sky (Netgear) hub. Cable to the shed is approx 20m of 2.5mm SWA.

The DHCP server in the shed hub is switched off and is pointed at the house hub to service requests so it's on the same subnet. The only 'feature' is that the shed hub has a different SSID to avoid clashing with the weak signal from the house and it takes a few seconds for devices to switch automatically when moving from one signal area to the other.
 Extending wifi - Bobby
Distance is probably about 15m but the wifi isn't at its strongest at that last point in the house so have heard that extenders aren't great unless the wifi is strong where you are trying to extend it?
 Extending wifi - Zero
www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WPA4226KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Smartphone/dp/B00LIZ0HPO
 Extending wifi - rtj70
I think the power line adapters I have with a WiFi hotspot are TP-Link. I think it was about £30. Works well. The Sky box plugs into the Ethernet port. Phone tends to stick with the Linksys router for Internet because the signal isn't that weak in the lounge. But the WiFi hotspot makes a difference when in the back of the house/conservatory/garden.

I would imagine Bobby's power line adapters will work - but worth checking before he pays out for say a WiFi device to plug in. He's probably got a spare, old cable router he could use. I've got at least two such devices just in case (i.e. not discarded).
 Extending wifi - Bobby
Cheers for feedback - have used Devolo powerline adaptors in my shops without any issues but they are around the £50-£60 mark which I wasn't wanting to shell out on.

The ones that Zero links to seem to be a better price and worth a bit of a gamble. The beauty of these things are that they are basically "plug n play" which to a technophobe like me, are a better possibility rather than having to play about with settings on anything that I really don't know what I am doing!
 Extending wifi - Zero
AND signs of Amazons pricing algorithm at work, They were 39.99 when I first linked to them yesterday, now with all the activity looking at them they have gone up by a tenner.
 Extending wifi - Bobby
Aw feck that then!

Mods we need to be able to share screenshots that don't count as web clicks!
 Extending wifi - VxFan
Wot about this one from ebuyer for £36.16 (inc p&p)

www.ebuyer.com/517100-tp-link-tl-pa451kit-500mbps-pass-through-powerline-adapter-twin-pack-tl-pa451kit
 Extending wifi - Focusless
>> Wot about this one from ebuyer for £36.16 (inc p&p)

£30 on Amazon, if you're quick :)
 Extending wifi - smokie
That one is not wireless so would need router or somesuch.
 Extending wifi - VxFan
Darn it.
 Extending wifi - smokie
If you ve already got industry standard powerline then you should just be able to get the "other end" (wireless) - here for £24.96. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-LINK-Wireless-N-Powerline-Adapter-Extender-Home-Plug-Up-To-300Mbps-/311182314146?hash=item4873e94aa2:g:HtkAAOSw6EhUUk0h (Dabs)

I'm really not sure whether to trust compatibility though. Someone may have a thought...
Latest Forum Posts