Computer Related > Tablet advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 10

Tablet advice - bathtub tom
SWMBO's announced she'd like a tablet for her birthday in a couple of weeks.

I know nothing about these things.

Any advice welcome. It'll, probably, only be used for browsing t'interweb thingmy. Amazon, ebay, Facebook and Skype type stuff.

If I get a shortlist, I can let her pick one at Currys.

Tablet advice - Zero
What phone does she use.
>> What phone does she use.

Nokia 225 PAYG.
 Tablet advice - Zero
>> >> What phone does she use.
>>
>> Nokia 225 PAYG.

Ok, so she has no pre conceived ideas about what system to use. It all now depends on your wallet. I would go for the Nexus as mentioned elsewhere in here. Mrs Z has one, or the iPad. If she does not intend to browse the web on the move then no 4g requirement needed. Standard wifi is ample.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 30 Dec 15 at 11:39
 Tablet advice - Falkirk Bairn
>>I can let her pick one at Currys.

And then go & buy it from John Lewis (who throw in additional warranty and can be cheaper) or t'internet seller who tend to be cheaper than Currys
 Tablet advice - Crankcase
Mrs C is a similarly low demand user, and I got her one of those £50 ish Amazon Fire tablets, with which she has been more than happy. Works fine, does what she wants, and can do all you ask I believe.

Then there was a special bargain day or some such, and I got a bigger Fire for me, for £50 too. Used It a bit but soon went back to the iPad. Don't know why really, but it just feels nicer. Ten times the price though.

However, she also has an iPad (given to her at work) and she never even touches it. So it's hard to predict which you will prefer until you try. Hop down to the Apple shop and see if she loves or loathes the expensive option?
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 30 Dec 15 at 08:04
 Tablet advice - Dog
Mrs D is a similarly low demand user, and I got her one of those £50 ish Amazon Fire tablets for £34.99 via some special bargain event, with which she has been more than happy.

Works fine, does what she wants, and can do all you ask I believe.
 Tablet advice - tyrednemotional
...of the lower-end Tablets, the one that has regularly been voted a best-buy is the Nexus 7 (2013).

As a Google-backed (but ASUS-built) product it comes with a very clean installation of Android (upgrade to latest version available), advert-free and no tie-ins to Amazon, Tesco (though the Hudl2 has now gone), etc.

My wife has been using the previous year's version for a few years now (and as it gets used as an e-Reader as well as for all the uses you've described, it is used every day).

About the only down-side (which it shares with many others) is the lack of storage expansion - which is only going to be a problem if she wants to store a humungous music library, or transport numerous HD videos around to watch.

Good value (£110) at Argos (really) at the moment:

www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/nexus7.htm
 Tablet advice - smokie
"store a humungous music library, or transport numerous HD videos around to watch"

I think that's the sort of thing the cloud is there for these days, though I'm not much of a user. Obviously you'd need a decent internet connection to aces it.
 Tablet advice - tyrednemotional
....yes, but not reliable even with a 3G/4G mobile connection - which in a tablet will push the cost up significantly.

As for a 'phone, the ability to add an SD card to a tablet to expand storage is a nice-to have, but generally only for large-scale offline media use.
Looks like it's a toss-up between the Amazon Fire and the Nexus. I'll have to go and play with some examples.

Thanks for all the advice.
Latest Forum Posts