Computer Related > Removing Password From Windows 10 Computing Issues
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 5

Removing Password From Windows 10 - Robbie34
I have never password protected any of my PCs, but this morning, after a Windows 10 update, I was unable to log in without a password. I have no idea how this happened and can only assume it was due to the update. I had to use the password for my Microsoft account in order to log on.

How do I remove this password protection?

Removing Password From Windows 10 - tyrednemotional
...Win 10 will try its hardest to associate your machine with a Microsoft Account (and as you had one previously, it would seem the upgrade has latched on to that).

It is possible to install Win10 with a local account, though at new install and upgrade, this is not always obvious.

It is possible to create a local account after upgrade, e.g.

www.networkworld.com/article/2956427/microsoft-subnet/how-to-setup-a-local-account-in-windows-10-during-or-after-installation.html

...and not enter anything into the password fields when creating,

BUT, this will be another, separate account on the machine, which will not be associated with the settings of the existing (Microsoft, password protecte) account.

Poor, isn't it!.

You might be able to sort things out properly by reverting to the previous OS, and upgrading again and being careful about the options at upgrade time, but I wouldn't guarantee it. :-(

Removing Password From Windows 10 - Robin O'Reliant
Easy peasy.

Right click on the start button, open the Run box and type in NETPLWIZ. In the box that appears uncheck the box that says this pc requires a user name and password and click on Apply. You'll then be prompted to type in your password and to confirm it, do this and click OK.

You then need to shut down the computer (Actually shut it down, not re-start) to enable the fix to work. Then start the computer up and you won't be prompted for a password again.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Thu 24 Dec 15 at 18:59
 Removing Password From Windows 10 - tyrednemotional
...I hope the above works.

However, my understanding was that this removed the need for a password from a Local Account for PCs that had been set up with one, but wouldn't cope with the removal of a password for a Microsoft Account with which the PC had been associated on upgrade (as would appear with the OP).

I've just been through my first upgrade to Win10, essentially on a test m/c, and deliberately by-passed the Microsoft Account, so can't check it out.

If the above doesn't work, however, research indicates that it may be worth trying this which purports to break the link with the Microsoft Account, and revert to a local one. (I would think that not nominating a password during the process will revert to a local account without password - since this worked on the upgrade I've just done).

www.howtogeek.com/230543/how-to-revert-your-windows-10-account-to-a-local-one-after-the-windows-store-hijacks-it/
 Removing Password From Windows 10 - Robbie34
>> Easy peasy.
>>
>> Right click on the start button, open the Run box and type in NETPLWIZ. In
>> the box that appears uncheck the box that says this pc requires a user name
>> and password and click on Apply. You'll then be prompted to type in your password
>> and to confirm it, do this and click OK.
>>
>> You then need to shut down the computer (Actually shut it down, not re-start) to
>> enable the fix to work. Then start the computer up and you won't be prompted
>> for a password again.

Thanks, it worked.
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Fri 25 Dec 15 at 11:12
 Removing Password From Windows 10 - Manatee
This is quite annoying, as I use a simple quick to enter password to lock the PC but a complexone for my MS account (which gives access to email, and onedrive).

I resisted all the blandishments to sign in with my MS password, but that doesn't stop me using an outlook email and onedrive on the PC.
Latest Forum Posts