Computer Related > Printers Again Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 13

Printers Again - Bromptonaut
Mrs B starts her PhD course in January. While some stuff can be read on screen she's also going to need to print papers etc. Say up to 30 pages at at time - mono only.

That's going to be quite costly in ink for our current Epson BX935 inkjet MFD. We wondered if a cheapish laser would be any better?

Anyone got relevant experience they can share.
 Printers Again - Robin O'Reliant
My Ricoh all in one laser cost me £30 from ebuyer in the summer. I am more than happy with it and delighted not to be spending a fortune on ink cartridges that often give faded print when they still have 30% left in the tank. Ebuyers prices very and it's worth keeping an eye on their website as they knock stuff out very cheaply from time to time. I would not go back to inkjets.
 Printers Again - zippy
I dislike inkjets, they cost a fortune to run if printing a lot and get clogged up.

Laser printers can be problematic as well, they like dry environments.

My eldest has the previous model colour laser to this one:

www.ebuyer.com/433141-dell-c1760nw-wireless-colour-laser-printer-210-41094

and has been using it since 2012 with no problems. Non oem toner is about £30 on Amazon and it appears to be good.

The Mrs had this one in the kitchen (don't ask):
www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-C1765NF-Multifunction-Colour-Printer/dp/B00AAWJC20

and it kept breaking down (it was a beast of a thing). It came with a free 3 year warranty and Dell swapped it out every time without question. It was eventually replaced by this one (free of charge by Dell):

www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-210-AEHD-DELL-Laser-Printers/dp/B00YBZE1M8/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

and it is much better and hasn't malfunctioned once.

It takes the same toners as the smaller one and is happy with compatibles.

I have a colour inkjet supplied by work and we print about the same number of pages (about 300 a month) and the inkjet costs at least £80 per month on ink when the laser costs £30 every two months.

Last edited by: zippy on Sun 6 Dec 15 at 19:54
 Printers Again - Falkirk Bairn
The cost of running printers has been with us for years. Generally cost per copy is much less on a Laser than an Inkjet - but horses for courses - low volume I'd go for inkjet and if I was printing say 10 pages+ a day I'd go laser.

Many years back a chap I know used to sell printers to large users. Particular customer road tested some 3/4 brands over a month before buying. Had machines delivered and evaluation looked at the usual speed to print and quality, paper handling etc HOWEVER running cost was No 1. They did not trust the pagecost of manufacturer' (which were known to be optimistic).

The evaluators ordered genuine cartridges from a 3rd party retailers to avoid tampering of the toner & then ran them until the toner light came on after printing the exact same rubbish on all samples. Friend got the order, 2,500 over some 6 months was the initial order and more followed. Later the evaluation was given to all suppliers the cost per page of the winner was about 1/2-2/3rds of any of the others.

The mistake the Bank made was they mistakenly ordered & received the Hi-Capacity cartridge which did roughly twice the copies for about 1.5 x the ££ but did not realise this at the time. £5 million order based on flawed tests - today the cost would be much less than £1m and be faster & colour BUT toner would still be expensive.

Printers Again - henry k
maybe ?
www.theguardian.com/money/2014/oct/02/printers-refillable-tanks-revolution-home-printing
 Printers Again - Stuartli
"maybe?"

Continuous printing inkjet suste,s have been available for many years, although not necessarily as neat a layout as in the case mentioned.

See, for example: www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/ciss
 Printers Again - sajid
i bought a canon ip8750 a3 size in august this year it had the canon starter print cartridges, had the warning of ink low so bought some compatibles from choice stationery, after installing them the ink jet printer starting giving me various error messages c000 b200 by taking the compatibles out and fitting the geniune the printer was working, but showed cartridges run out, the main bug bear is the compatibles cartridges seem they dont mate well with the printer ink head, two of the compatibles were replaced but still the problem is there.

i done various procedures switching it off, pressing the button next to the power button to reset the thing, but still same error messages, the ink tanks dont light up,

finally i bit the bullet and got geniune canon cartridges, and waiting for them to come and see how they go.

It does print fantastic photos, but i am considering a colour laser printer for lower running costs,

maybe i give compatible another go look at some by ink nation as they sell them for 50 percent less than what i paid for the canon ones.

Printers Again - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>
>> It does print fantastic photos, but i am considering a colour laser printer for lower
>> running costs,
>>
>>
Lasers are apparently not very good at printing pictures. It's better to save them onto a memory stick and get them professionally printed, superior quality and cheaper too.
 Printers Again - sajid
my geniune canon cartridges arrived having installed them the printer then displays error code b200, i been spending half a hour trying to resolve this but to no avail took out the ink tanks popped them in, switched off left for 10 mins and switch back on, still b200.

In the end i just emailed canon support see what they suggested
 Printers Again - rtj70
How about:

1. Turn OFF Power
2. Open the print head bay (as though you were about to change inks)
3. Turn ON power
4. Wait for print carriage to start moving to the left and let it go past half way
5. Before print carriage reaches left hand side (but after going halfway across) shut the cover.
6. Leave the Printer turned on
7. Good to go.

No idea if it works. :-)
 Printers Again - rtj70
Seems a lot post about Canon printers having this error. I'll try to stick with my old PIXMA iP5000. No chips in the ink cartridges.
 Printers Again - sajid
i done all i can do in the end returned it back to pc world after emailing canon about the b200 error, shows its a internal hardware error.

I used to have a canon ip4500 that ran for 5 years until the power button failed, so i bought the canon 8750 a3 as i print out photos

will see what canon will do either repair it or replace it
 Printers Again - rtj70
>> I used to have a canon ip4500 that ran for 5 years until the power button failed

I hardly ever press the power button - it's set to turn itself on when I try to print. It turns itself off when inactive.
 Printers Again - sajid
latest update

turned out to be a faulty print head been replaced under warranty, just waiting for the replacment cartridges to come as the originals have ran out
Latest Forum Posts