Computer Related > Normalising video sound Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 11

Normalising video sound - smokie
My daughter complied a 50+ minute video from a number of sources, but it has varying audio levels. The lowest is that recorded on an iPad but this might just be because they weren't close enough to eh mike.

Anyway I've had a hunt but I can't see anything to do normalise the audio track. It'd be better to do it as it stands but she still has all the clips so we could do it and re-assemble if that was easier (although I imagine that setting the benchmark may be more difficult).

Anyone any ideas? Freeware only of course... :-)
 Normalising video sound - Zero
Audacity has a normalise function. You can also select any parts of the audio track and adjust amplitude.

Audacity should be one of the "must have" applications on your pc.
Excellent, thanks for quick response - I already have Audacity from successfully recording the radio broadcast earlier this year!!!

So I can only get the whole file (MP4, created in Windows Move Maker I believe) in by Import Raw. I've normalised the whole track but my Save options are limited - Save project (As), Save Compressed copy of project, Export Audio.

So I guess I export Audio then somehow strip the existing audio and add the new one? (How would I sync it?)
I would export audio as MP3 so what you have is audio the exact length of your clip. You are then into the video editor ballgame. If it were me using my video editors, I would select the existing clip audio track, zero the volume on that, than add the new audio track at the start point of the clip.

OK will give it a go, thanks...
I can't import the entire file into Audacity - or at least I can, as raw, but when I do all I have is white noise.

I managed to take out the audio track (using XMedia Recode) and spent ages correcting it in Audacity. |SO I now have the original size soundtrack nicely normalised.

Have you got any idea what product I can use to mute the existing soundtrack then overlay the new one?
www.lwks.com

Lightworks. Free if you get it sorted in 7 days, or are happy to output in 720 max
Ta, will keep that to do next week once everyone is back at work.

(Though with multiple physical computers and disposable VMs and a bit of thought could probably get round that)
I downloaded Lightworks this am but I'm struggling a bit. I know the answer is RTFM but do you know which button sequence to press to remove the audio, or can you point me in the right direction? The interface is pretty professional looking and not as intuitive as I'd hoped for!! (btw it wouldn't work on my XP VMs, maybe to do with graphics hardware capability)
Nope No idea, never used it. iT was just an example of a free editing suite that has the capability you need.

On the main windows PC I use Power Director, on the Mac I use iMovie, both capable of adding/removing tracks, both of which you wont have access to unless you pay. Both work by displaying the film thumbnails with the soundtrack(s) under it. Click the soundtrack, separate, and you can then manipulate it.

Seem to recall Windows Movie Maker can do some stuff to sound.
I might have found it. There are some useful Youtube clips. The film was assembled in Movie Maker but it doesn't seem to want to remove sound
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 31 Dec 15 at 09:35
Hmmm that turned out too complex for me but led me to a product called VideoPad which did the job a treat. I was able to deelet the existing audio track and replace with my edited one. However looks like I could have done the required edit in situ with that product.

Thanks for your advice which led me to the conclusion.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 31 Dec 15 at 17:43
Latest Forum Posts