Computer Related > Charging cordless mouse Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 5

Charging cordless mouse - Tooslow
I've been having a few problems with my cordless Logitech mouse. Usually poking the "connect" button sorted it but eventually I decided that the rechargeable batteries had had it. I've replaced them with some I had lying around, 2400mah. I believe they're ok but, after a few days, the mouse won't talk to the receiver and there's no LED shining onto the desk top. Pop freshly charged batteries and all is ok. That rather indicates that they're not being charged in the receiver/charger. I've also noticed that what I think is the "charge" indicator on the mouse isn't coming on.

I've checked the charger and it's delivering volts. It could be a fault in the mouse or could it be that the new batteries are too high a capacity for the charger, or is that daft? The old (original, supplied) batteries were something weeny like 800mah.

Thanks,
JH
 Charging cordless mouse - Stuartli
Extra capacity batteries won't make any difference other than to allow use of the mouse for much longer periods before needed recharging or replacing.

Have you checked out the mouse and battery charger contacts are clean and that the USB lead and adapter wires are connected correctly?

I've have a similar Logitech mouse and charger and it will work for some considerable time without me having to put it on the charger (I regularly forget to replace it on the charger due to habit; my previous mouse didn't come with a charger and you had to charge/replace the batteries about every six to eight weeks).
Thanks Stuart. I've checked for clean contacts and checked all other contacts. The same dock/receiver/charger receives the keyboard input and that's fine, so it's ok in all respects except for charging the mouse I think. I'd like to check that volts are being delivered inside the battery compartment of the mouse but the dock design prohibits this. When I take the mouse out of the dock, even with adequately charged batteries I have to press the connect button the mouse, but not on the dock. This leads me to believe that it has not noticed that it has been removed fro the dock and switched itself on. Which takes us bnack to dock/mouse contacts... Hmm.

JH
 Charging cordless mouse - Stuartli
My previous wireless keyboard and mouse required a resetting routine if you changed the mouse or keyboard batteries to ensure that the radio channels were correctly assigned. The sequence was detailed in the manual and on the underside of the keyboard.

Have you checked whether you need to do this for your mouse?

Currently I'm using a Logitech wireless optical mouse and recharger, but the Logitech keyboard is a corded USB type, so this sequence isn't required.
It does seem odd but the mouse is quite happy to have it's batteries swapped. It keeps on working. I did do a reset when I first put the new batteries in. I've found a "manual" (2 A4 sides of PDF) on the Logitech website for a similar mouse (what an AWFUL web site) and checked that the LED on the top of the mouse should show green when charging. I'm currenlty (no joke intended!) waiting for the batteries to discharge to see if it will decide to come on. This could be quite a wait.

I suspect that the charging function may have packed in.

JH
Logitech have replied, at last. The key part of their message is;

"Could you please ensure that you are using Li-Ion rechargeable batteries? Please try to use lower capacity batteries as well."

Err, there is no such thing as li-on AA rechargeables. Is there? And the originals were Nimh.

Meanwhile mouse is happy with high capacity (2400mah) nimh rechargeables, though charge light hasn't come on yet. No big deal, I'll swap 'em over when they go flat.

Customer support - bah humbug!

JH
Latest Forum Posts