Computer Related > Domain issues Computing Issues
Thread Author: Slidingpillar Replies: 2

Domain issues - Slidingpillar
Does anyone know if when you change registrant on an existing .co.uk domain whether the rights to the .uk address go with it, or whether that strips the rights and it becomes open season on the domain?

Brother is in the process of what I suppose is a management buyout and is resigned to eventually buying the .uk address, paying for hosting and having a redirect to the existing .co.uk address. Business is in a quite competitive market and it would be a major mistake to permit someone to register the .uk address. As explanation, if the rights go with the .co.uk address, one has till the 10th June 2019 to buy it, so one can just wait and save money.

I know it's not a large amount of money to cover all bases, but you would be surprised just how the expense add up in this process.

I'll probably buy the .uk version of mine but I have ages to make my mind up yet.
 Domain issues - smokie
I'm not absolutely clear what you're asking (too lazy to read properly) but I have my own domain name and one time, before they were on auto-renew, I lost it - which I think is the area of your question.

So at that time, domains which "expire" were snapped up by some 'bot as soon as they dropped off ownership. Certainly then you could have a domain for a period of weeks (about 2 IIRC) for free. I read that these people snap them up, measure the traffic and if it's significant then go back to the original owner with a ransom demand to sell them their name back.

I did lose all functionality (for me, mail forwarding) and access, though I had been incredibly careless in ignoring multiple renewal reminders.

In my case, once the first (Russian) 'bot had finished with it, it went round a few more, the last one appearing to be France based. I was monitoring it daily (or more frequently) and managed to catch it as it fell off one of those and before someone else snapped it up.

While it wouldn't have been the end of the world if I'd not got it back, a business may suffer more, so I wouldn't take any unnecessary risk of losing the domain.
 Domain issues - Slidingpillar
Basic domain is properly looked after. To explain issue I'll use a fictitious domain.

If you held say made_up_name.co.uk at the qualifying date, and there was nobody owning made_up_name.org.uk you are allowed to register made_up_name.uk as well.

If you get a goodly amount of web business, or the made_up_name is a good description of what you do, or is perceived as valuable you need to take action. Any company would be advised to protect their interest, the BBC did, they registered BBC.uk within 2 days of being able to, despite having in theory until 10 June 2019.
Latest Forum Posts