Computer Related > All back to normal - 5 days after lightning strike Computing Issues
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 3

All back to normal - 5 days after lightning strike - Falkirk Bairn
Last Saturday a son awoke to find :- No Sky (dead box), No telephone / No Broadband / router dead

The Sky+HD Box was dead, there was no dial tone.

Tuesday - Sky arrives, new /recon box installed - 15 minutes and connected to neighbour's router - more modern box, 2 x disc capacity & wireless built-in. £65 exchange - Bargain!

Wednesday - BT arrive, grudgingly, as they say the problem is "internal wiring" and the cost is £130 for the call - turns out the main socket in the house was fried. 15 mins later we had a dial-tone.

Thursday, son was in Hospital Wed/Thursday, New router / filter (found in house cupboard so FOC & Brand new!) - router set up and only a mild outbreak of "Broadband Tourettes" Sky box refused to connect but it was pilot error.

No sign of lightning strike anywhere, dish, wiring etc etc BUT it was definitely electrical.
 All back to normal - 5 days after lightning strike - Robin O'Reliant
My internet (PlusNet) was down when I got home Monday evening. The pre-recorded message on their help line said there had been problems caused by lightening, though my router was on except for the DSL light and the phone worked. When I finally got through they noted the fault and said they'd investigate, next afternoon I was back online again. No idea what the fault was, but an email said they'd found one somewhere and remotely fixed it.
 All back to normal - 5 days after lightning strike - Falkirk Bairn
We do not know if it was a lightning strike or a spike in the mains voltage due to the lightning - but anything wire connected to the Sky box was fried Sky box, router, phone point.

The I-mac was OK as it is wireless connection.
 All back to normal - 5 days after lightning strike - Zero
>> We do not know if it was a lightning strike or a spike in the
>> mains voltage due to the lightning - but anything wire connected to the Sky box
>> was fried Sky box, router, phone point.
>>
>> The I-mac was OK as it is wireless connection.

Its likely to be a voltage surge of some source and probably up the phone line.
Latest Forum Posts