Computer Related > IP address changers Computing Issues
Thread Author: Slidingpillar Replies: 18

IP address changers - Slidingpillar
Any one got experience of these things? I'm being rejected as spam by my brothers shop about 80% of the time. Following up the links I get on the rejection message, well over 50 lists are happy with me, but four think I'm a spammer.

I drew the line at registering with one, as I thought I'd probably have to provide information I'd rather be kept private.
 IP address changers - Zero
I assume you mean a proxy server? what are you actually truing to do? Email? what do you use as your email service, your ISp or a webmail client?
 IP address changers - smokie
I suspect SP is sending emails and some are being rejected.
I suspect SP is sending emails and some are being rejected.

Got it in one. I can email anybody else just fine, but my brother at work has become very difficult this week. It would appear my IP is the problem, not my domain name (I use one hosted by my ISP).
If you are using your ISPs mail servers to send mail, you can't change the IP address.
Oh well, saves me bothering with that then!
Send the mail from somewhere else. Get another free email account, Gmail for example.
I think I was getting too involved, I've emailed my ISP with the problem as the IP address is part of a range of addresses with the same treatment.

Don't expect quick answers though!

(this post should really have been at the end but I was silly..)
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Thu 2 Jul 15 at 23:26
>> I think I was getting too involved, I've emailed my ISP with the problem as
>> the IP address is part of a range of addresses with the same treatment.

No, the problem is not with your ISP the problem is with the recipient who has blocked a subnet. Its their business thats being lost, not your ISP's

>> Don't expect quick answers though!
Their answer will be as above I guess. Problem is they can't go out and buy a new set IP addresses and delete the ones that are blocked, because new ones simply don't exist.

>> (this post should really have been at the end but I was silly..)

Lord knows where in the stream this one will end up.
 IP address changers - Kevin
I don't think it's a subnet being blocked since it sounds as if some emails are getting through.

>" I'm being rejected as spam by my brothers shop about 80% of the time. "

I would also expect the recipient machine not to respond to something it believes is spam, it simply increases traffic and makes the situation worse.

The first place I'd start to look is the headers in the return message but my first guess would be that Slidingpillar's ISP has a rule based filter to stop their own customers spamming and thereby getting their address range blacklisted.
 IP address changers - No FM2R
If it was rejecting an IP address surely it would be consistent, not 80% .

Its probably a certain type of content or distribution list which is setting it off
I could have just written "ditto" .

Sorry.
 IP address changers - Kevin
>I could have just written "ditto" .

Ditto?!

Is that some show-off latin stuff?
I don't know, is it latin? Actually, thinking about it, I guess it must be.

Next time I'll just say ---"---, although I'm not completely sure how to pronounce that.
Its in the OED so [raspberry]
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 3 Jul 15 at 20:47
Bit of fill in.

The links given in the rejection email show there are about 57 just fine spam lists, and four think I'm a spammer. One of them is spamhaus, and they have quite a useful website. I learnt the IP that spamhaus don't like is just one in a range, so if I reset, and got a new IP (possible - it's not fixed) the new IP could still be in the naughty range.

This is nothing to do with my brothers shop - email is rejected before it's even delivered by their ISP.

At that point, I decided I was trying to be too clever, and anyone else would just complain to their own ISP. So I did. Not that I've had an answer yet mind you, and so far, touch wood I sent 3 emails to the shop today and they all got through.
Its probably a certain type of content or distribution list which is setting it off

You would think so, but yesterday I tried emails where the shop was one of several addreses and on their own. With and without tracking.

Only consistent thing was my default settings are plain text, but spammers to me at least usually use HTML as it's childs play to include a link that says one thing ie safe_site.com but actually takes the recipients computer to well_dodgy_site.com
 IP address changers - smokie
Zero is right, email will always be in your ISP's IP range.

So the company may simply have ramped up their defences - many companies are becoming more restrictive, and there are improved products out there to help them.

So you may be being deliberately blocked.

OTOH, on a different forum which I mod we can block using wild cards, which can be just part of a domain/isp name or part of an IP address (or any combination thereof). It would be relatively easy to inadvertently block whole lumps of traffic.

So if the company does not have an internet usage policy which precludes your brother from receiving your mails, it'd be worth him calling the help desk and see if there's been a change on their side, as they may have unwittingly blocked more than just you.

If you're getting a rejection email, what is the error message?
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 2 Jul 15 at 15:20
ISP has replied;

This does appear to be down to Spam being sent from the IP address, possibly as a result of the previous user of the IP address using it for this purpose.

To resolve your issue, just power the router off and back on and a new IP will be assigned.

Which was my thought except the link clearly said the IP used was part of a range of addresses that were blacklisted. As yesterday was ok, I'll not rush into anything.
Latest Forum Posts