Computer Related > Android browser 'issue' Computing Issues
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 17

Android browser 'issue' - Dave
I've registered 2 new domain names here in sweden, and have them redirected to my existing website. If I put the new name in the android browser, it doesnt take me to the existing site, but to google search instead. On chrome and firefox it works as it should. I have't tried any other browsers as of yet.

One of the new names is www.sökbana.se, and it redirects to www.hundgubbe.se

As the internet doesn't recognise ö, ä or å, there is a conversion process done in the background, and it is this that seems to cause the problem. For example sökbana.se has a 'real' name of xn-skbana-wxa.se

Any ideas what can be wrong?
 Android browser 'issue' - Zero
well, I just typed in www.sökbana.se into my browser on my android phone, and i got directed to www.hundgubbe.se. as you intended.

You are getting the google search box because of a local language/keyboard issue with your phone
Thats interesting, as my tablet langiage is set to english, but I have the keyboard in swedish. But chrome on the same tablet works with that address. And I can search for other things using ö, ä, å, although I've not tried a whole domain containg those characters. One reason being they have only recently become available, so all existing companies have used standard characters, eg. A comapny called skånska would register skanska instead.
 Android browser 'issue' - No FM2R
My Android takes www.sökbana.se just fine and redirects as you wish it to.

How do you achieve ö on yours? I just long press o and get a bunch of alternatives.
>> My Android takes www.sökbana.se just fine and redirects as you wish it to.
>>
>> How do you achieve ö on yours? I just long press o and get a
>> bunch of alternatives.

same method I use, ditto the mac.

>>
>> You are getting the google search box because of a local language/keyboard issue with your
>> phone
>>

So what's the solution then? And is the problem I have, going to affect others and cause them problems also?
 Android browser 'issue' - ....
I tried this from Germany.
Language English
Keyboard English QWERTZ
UTF-8
Got redirected to Google.de search site

Changed the Keyboard to English QWERTY
Cleared out the browser cache after stopping the process and then dropped from memory.
VPN'd to the UK
Opened a new browser session
Got redirected to Google.co.uk search site.

Windows 7 PC gets redirected to www.hundgubbe.se/nosework.html
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 26 Jun 15 at 19:10
missed the edit: It goes via www.xn--skbana-wxa.se/
Yes, exactly the same problem I'm having. The funny address it goes through is the converted one as the web can't recognise the funny characters. Just waiting for the Zero to tell us where it's all going wrong!
I tried changing the text encoding from UTF-8 to Latin-1(ISO-8859-1) to check if UTF-8 was converting ö correctly. Still have the same problem.
 Android browser 'issue' - Mike H
English qwerty keyboard from here in Austria on Android phone gives the result you want, if that helps.
Well I've set the tablet to swedish with a swedish keyboard, with the same result. So maybe it isn't as zero suggested?
 Android browser 'issue' - No FM2R
I am using an Android in Chile, with the languages set to English and Spanish.

It has the character sets loaded, but that's by default, I have done nothing to tell it about Swedish. Using 3G/4G or WiFi doesn;t seem to change the result.

Using 3G/4G and Chrome set to English, it works just fine using www.sökbana.se

Using Entel Internet Browser set to Spanish, it also works just fine using www.sökbana.se

Using Dolphin Browser set to English, it totally fails to understand the characters and takes me to a search engine.

So I don't know what to say, it seems to be browser related. Its not the DNS as Dolphin just doesn't understand the "ö" so it doesn't even get that far.
It's even stranger now, as I can't even access the page through the tab on my regular website. Go to www.hundgubbe.se and then pick 'Nose Work' and it just sits there until the browser has had enough and shuts down.
works fine here

Safari, mac, BTinternet
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Jul 15 at 16:10
Very strabge, it just seems to be me. I've changed to chrome browser, but now just that page comesnout the size of a postage stamp, whilst all the others are normal, but only on the tablet. On the big pc everything works as it should.
Do you have any code on your site specifically for handling mobile devices?

If not suspect it may be down to the browser on the device how it handles it hence the different responses from people here using most probably different hardware.
very weird indeed.

on my android phone I get into hundgubbe.se just fine, but there is no "nose work" tab but there is when i go into hundgubbe.se on my mac.

both using the same router

Latest Forum Posts