Computer Related > New Virus Checker Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 8

New Virus Checker - zippy
The free McAfee virus checker that came with my PG has expired and they want £50 to renew the cover.

If I were to buy it new on line it would by about £20. To say that I am miffed is an understatement, this type of upgrade cost is akin to motor insurance renewal.

I used to use AVG free but I guess things may have changed over the last couple of years.

Any recommendations on good virus checkers and firewalls from the forum would be appreciated.

Thanks.
 New Virus Checker - No FM2R
I use Avast Free Antivirus.

I also have Spybot and MSE running.

Bit belt & braces, but its all free and they do catch stuff, especially if the kids are in a downloading / dodgy website mode.
 New Virus Checker - Bromptonaut
MSE/Windows Defender (?) does for our fleet.
>>MSE/Windows Defender (?) does for our fleet.

Used to do for ours until my mate, who was running the same, got hit with the Locker stuff recently.

I put Avast on straight away.

What concerns me *now* is that Avast has caught two things in the last three weeks. I wonder if they would have hot through before? If so, I wonder what i missed.

I ran Malwarebytes about 2 weeks ago, and that found two things, albeit minor, as well.
 New Virus Checker - rtj70
>> Used to do for ours until my mate, who was running the same, got hit with the Locker stuff recently.

The corporate offering from Microsoft is now part of their System Centre 2012 portfolio and is known as Endpoint Protection. Industry tests show it has weaknesses - in fact one such tester gave it a very poor score - zero in fact. And didn't pass some tests so wasn't included in some categories.

So if that's the corporate offering... how good is the free one I wonder.

www.av-test.org/en/award/2014/
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 15 Jun 15 at 00:28
 New Virus Checker - Observer
Microsoft Defender, Avast, Ghostery, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, CryptoPrevent all running. They do not conflict.

Scan ocasionally with Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, HitmanPro, Sophos, AdwCleaner.

CCleaner every evening, followed by shut down.

All free, except that HitmanPro, though it will scan, needs a paid-for licence to remove stuff. I used it once, the licence has now expired.
>>They do not conflict.

Usually not. They did for me, although an uninstall and reinstall of MSE fixed it.
 New Virus Checker - CGNorwich
Why?
 New Virus Checker - Roger.
Comodo Internet Security - AV & firewall.
Panda free AV

The very first thing I did on my new laptop was to remove McAfee!
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 15 Jun 15 at 21:43
Latest Forum Posts