Computer Related > Facebook hacked Computing Issues
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 12

Facebook hacked - bathtub tom
SWMBO's Facebook account was hacked last night and sent out a load of phishing links. I'm surprised, as she had what I consider, a secure password of random letters and numbers. The password is not used for anything else.

The password has now been changed.

Any suggestions as to how to make it more secure - I've already suggested dumping Facebook.
 Facebook hacked - Zero
If the Facebook password is a good one, Facebook wasn't hacked. Your PC was hacked and Facebook accessed from there. Somewhere else in the machine was (maybe still is) the insecurity.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 9 Jun 15 at 10:01
 Facebook hacked - No FM2R
Equally perhaps nothing was hacked.

It is also possible that she clicked on a link herself. They don't necessarily do what they say they are going to do.

Do you run appropriate anti-malware, AV, Firewall etc. etc.?
 Facebook hacked - Zero
>> Equally perhaps nothing was hacked.

I used hacked in the "widest" sense - meaning compromised or hijacked in any kind of way

>> It is also possible that she clicked on a link herself.

Email or a web page
Nothing else has surfaced since the password change, so I guess her Facebook account was hacked.

I'm running (free) AVG and done a (SUPERAntiSpyware) scan that's thrown up nothing but tracking cookies.
Depending on your use of the word "hacked", it is most unlikely that it happened.

Most likely is that someone clicked on a link that they shouldn't, probably in Facebook.. Ask your wife if there was an unusual posting from one of her friends that she clicked on which now seems to be missing.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 9 Jun 15 at 22:38
>>Ask your wife if there was an unusual posting from one of her friends that she clicked on which now seems to be missing.

As in:

Yesterday upon the stair
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away

;>)
Kind of, I know.

But what actually happens is that some lowlife who has run out of public telephones to vandalise posts something odd.

People click on it until Facebook spot it, delete it and remove all its traces.
 Facebook hacked - Focusless
Just got a couple of dodgy looking FB posts "the link, hehe" with a link and "Check this weird guy :D" which I suspect are the sort of thing that cause this problem.
That's exactly what was being sent from SWMBO's account.
Me too.

I ignored them and they disappeared fairly quickly.

If this is what you got BT, then your wife clicked on a dodgy linked which forwarded it on.

Just ignore it, nothing material happened, no hacking was involved and your computer was fine.

However, your wife should be on the look out;

IF;

its something weird or a little off-centre
or from someone unexpected
and/or has a link

Then ignore it.
Thinking though;

To be safe, just get her to clean out her cookies and to checked the applications allowed to access her Facebook.

Just to be doubly safe.
Will do. Thanks.
Latest Forum Posts