Computer Related > SSD - replacement of HD Computing Issues
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 3

SSD - replacement of HD - sherlock47
I feel that I should really know the answers to this, but it is something I have never done.

If I wish to transfer an existing installed OS (Win7) and Data to a new SSD, what is the best freeware.The Dell machine has a valid Microsoft Activation Key - but no software disc.

Presumably the software takes care of the change of Drive letters etc - having installed inumerable clean installs from DOS onwards, but cannot face the prospect of a new install. I can appreciate that it is not a straight forward copy.

Any tips please.
 SSD - replacement of HD - Zero
Tips? I would install a fresh copy of 7 every time rather than clone a cluttered one.

However, if the clone is what you want to do

Install your SSD as an additional drive on your machine

clone

www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-free-and-reliable-cloning-tools/

remove old drive, put cloned drive in its place and boot up

(hopefully windows will sort out any driver issues with you now having an SSD or you do it manually - either way it should boot ok)
 SSD - replacement of HD - sherlock47
Thanks for that.

The machine recently had clean install - (ex corporate) so there should not be tooo much crap.
 SSD - replacement of HD - Stuartli
>>The Dell machine has a valid Microsoft Activation Key - but no software disc. >>

Just for information. I acquired a Dell desktop five years ago (it's still going strong and has never missed a beat, despite being used all day virtually every day) and, of course, it didn't come with a Windows7 installation disk.

So I decided to contact Dell and point out that I was not happy with its "Recovery" feature, adding I was quite happy to pay the £25 I understood to be the charge for a disk.

To my pleasant surprise, a member of Dell's support staff proved extremely helpful and, after checking with a supervisor, said he would be sending a disk free of charge. It duly arrived a couple of days later.

it's never been needed, but the gesture and peace of mind has always been appreciated.
Latest Forum Posts