Computer Related > An extra wifi hub Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 5

An extra wifi hub - Mapmaker
Take modem/wifi transmitter. Insert Cat V cable into the back and run it upstairs. Then I want to plug the other end of the Cat V into the back of another wifi transmitter box.

What do I need to buy?

Thanks
 An extra wifi hub - Zero
cat v cable if you already have the wifi boxes.

Plus a 50 quid fee from me to get it all working.....
 An extra wifi hub - smokie
Forget the messy cable.

Have a look at WiFi extenders, which is what I use. eBuyer have them from £9.99 upwards. You put it somewhere within range of your existing WiFi and it acts as a new wireless hub. Look for a 300Mbps one (not 150). If you have dual band devices and have a lot of other WiFi signals in your area a dual band could be worth the extra as there is less congestion on the 5GHz band. www.ebuyer.com/search?q=range+extender&sort=price+ascending

Or Powerline adapters, which use your electricity circuit but are a bit more expensive for WiFi. www.ebuyer.com/search?q=powerline&sort=price+ascending
 An extra wifi hub - Mapmaker
Wifi extenders don't work very well as they limit the bandwidth. Wifi is poor enough throughout the building as it is. And I bought one once and couldn't make it work anyway.

The Cat V is already in place, so is not messy; there's no need for Wifi over power. Obviously I wasn't clear in my first post.

What sort of a Wifi box do I need to buy to put at the far end of the Cat V?

An extra wifi hub - sherlock47
Forget Zero, I will do it for £49 :

I have exactly the set up you describe in 2 houses, but using powerline adaptors between boxes.

One uses a dedicated Netgear AP (access point) Netgear-WG602-v3-Wireless-Access-Point. Cost about £5 on Ebay. But 2.4Ghz only wireless only.

The other uses an old TP Link router WR841 (2.4 only ) Ebay about 5£. Has the advantage that it supports upto 3 of hard connected devices as well.

It is also possible to setup with identical SSID and encryption, and passswords so xfr between boxes is seamless. But I have not done that yet. It is possibly wise to do that using same make/type of box at both locations

You can use many old routers - if you Google you will find how to set up. The thing to remember ( it caught me out), is that you connect to one of the ethernet data ports NOT the old 'modem' port.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 9 Jun 15 at 21:13
 An extra wifi hub - Crankcase
If you use Apple kit, you plug in the second Airport, it sees the first and aks if you want to extend it. It then configures everything required automatically, done.

I use that for one of my networks and it's all pretty seamless.
Latest Forum Posts