Computer Related > 500GB external drive recommendation? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 36

500GB external drive recommendation? - FotheringtonTomas
Low price. If it looks nice for the same price, great. If it's over 500GB for the same price, the more the merrier.
 500GB external drive recommendation? - borasport
£54.99 cheap enough ?

tinyurl.com/2u7dne9

Mind you, you'll probably have to be outside the door at 9 am to get one. I will be - it docks straight on to my medion pc.
 500GB external drive recommendation? - Focusless
'Portable' or 'desktop'? 1Tb desktop drives also just over £50 here (free postage IIRC for orders over £50):
www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/Hard-Drives/subcat/External-Desktop-Hard-Drives

EDIT; it says 'free shipping on all orders'
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 12 Jul 10 at 13:22
In fact if it's more convenient you can get a 1Tb drive from from Rattle's favorite shop for £58.10, if you collect in-store:
www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/wd-elements-external-hard-drive-1tb-03661634-pdt.html
 500GB external drive recommendation? - TheManWithNoName

>> £54.99 cheap enough ?
>>
>> tinyurl.com/2u7dne9
>>
>> Mind you, you'll probably have to be outside the door at 9 am to get
>> one. I will be - it docks straight on to my medion pc.
>>
>>

My dad shops there so I may well ask him to get me one.

cheers
 500GB external drive recommendation? - L'escargot
>> the more the merrier.
>>

Absolutely. There's no point in spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar. I went for a Seagate 1TB FreeAgent Desk ~ currently around £70.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 12 Jul 10 at 13:27
 500GB external drive recommendation? - Stuartli
I also bought a Seagate 1T Expansion external hard drive (£70) from Argos recently to use with a Panasonic TV; the HDD comes with the bonus of a free 4GB SanDisk Cruzer Blade USB flash drive.

There are two other versions, including a 500GB at £50. For the extra £20 it's worth getting the double capacity benefit. See:

tinyurl.com/3yfnc2a
Information about this WD Elements 1TB external drive just arrived in an e-mail newsletter (£57):

www.ebuyer.com/product/174844

I've used WD Caviar PATA/IDE internal drives for many years (OEM versions) and they have proved outstandingly reliable.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 13 Jul 10 at 10:23
>> www.ebuyer.com/product/174844

...in the link I posted yesterday, but now it's £2 cheaper it's worthy of consideration :)
..and now the 1.5TB version at lower cost..:-)

www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?ProductId=32258
>> ..and now the 1.5TB version at lower cost..:-)
>>
>> www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?ProductId=32258

It says £90.45 at the moment...?
It's £87.53 on the Scanshot e-mail newsletter...:-)
>> It's £87.53 on the Scanshot e-mail newsletter...:-)

Ok - still confused as to how that's cheaper than £57.
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 13 Jul 10 at 18:37
 500GB external drive recommendation? - Roger.
1 TB H/D @ www.play.com
GBP 62.99 - Free Delivery !
I have a 1TB drive and it is surprising how quickly even that fills up with a good few downloaded movies and every episode of the last (U.S.) season of NCIS, CSI (all three versions), Numb3rs, and both seasons 1 & 2 of the Mentalist.
I abhor "pop" music of the last 30+ years, but have some jazz, Sinatra etc, + I'm in the middle of "bit-torrenting" a massive collection of Ella Fitzgerald, so you can see the need for space!
It is also where I keep Acronis back-ups of th entire hard drive in my laptop, plus literally thousands of pictures taken over the last dozen years or so.
More is better!
>>Ok - still confused as to how that's cheaper than £57.>>

It isn't, because it's got an extra 500GB (1.5TB)..:-)
 500GB external drive recommendation? - rtj70
Maplin do a 1Tb drive for £64.99:

www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=257315
 500GB external drive recommendation? - smokie
Here's a 1Tb for £52 incl delivery www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002E7HEVU/
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 14 Jul 10 at 07:29
>>Maplin do a 1Tb drive for £64.99:>>

That's the Seagate model I bought for use with a Panasonic TV - Argos throw in a 4GB Sandisk Cruzer USB flash drive free as well.
It might not have the USB drive but its' cheaper and 4GB Sandisk is cheap anyway. Advantage for some is you can pop into your local Maplin and get it today instead of getting it delivered.
 500GB external drive recommendation? - borasport
>> Advantage for some is you can pop into your local Maplin and get it
>> today instead of getting it delivered.
>>

But the disadvantage of the local maplin's is having the person on the till repeatedly trying to sell you things you don't want even though you have made it clear you're not interested or members of staff constantly asking if the can help you - 4 of them in 2 minutes is taking the micker
But advantage is good returns policy at Maplin.
>> But advantage is good returns policy at Maplin.>>

There is no advantage in this respect over Argos, Amazon, e-Buyer, Tesco, Aldi, Lidl et al from personal experience...:-)
>>..Advantage for some is you can pop into your local Maplin and get it today instead of getting it delivered.>>

It's the same USB drive as I bought some weeks ago. The Sandisk flash drive is worth about £8, whilst I was also able to use a £5 voucher from a previous purchase at Argos.

Regarding Maplin, in my case one of the two Argos stores in the town is just over a mile away and the other one and a half miles. In contrast, to visit Maplin I'd have to go to Aintree, some 15 miles south...:-)

But whatever is the case, for those wanting this drive it's proved a good bit of kit so far and TV recordings, whether in SD or HD, seem indistinguishable from the original.
If I went to Argos I'd have to pay for parking. Maplin has it's own car park.

Returning an item to a shop is always easier than sending back to say e-buyer or Amazon.

Depending on what it's intended for I'd personally go for a 2.5" USB drive so it's bus powered. For my main storage I have a mirrored 2Tb (2x 2Tb drives) NAS which is backed up to a separate 2Tb disk too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 14 Jul 10 at 18:34
>>If I went to Argos I'd have to pay for parking.>>

Huge and free car park (big selection of outlets) in my nearest store case, but I agree it can sometimes be a nuisance returning items ordered over the Internet.

But in fairness, as I stated earlier, e-Buyer, Amazon etc are first class on the return of faulty goods (in one case with Amazon a set of 5.1 speakers that packed up 18 months into the two year warranty and for which they made a full refund); both also meet the cost of returning products if the reason to do so is genuine.

You are very wise to keep proper backups - it's only those who don't have one who may well eventually come to realise the stupidity of their actions.
Just got this link directly from iomega:

tinyurl.com/iomega500Gb

A 500Gb drive for £29.99.
 500GB external drive recommendation? - smokie
...plus nearly a tenner for p&p
It's still remarkably cheap even with delivery charges.

Mind you storage capacity cost today is, as the orange faced TV presenter always says, "As cheap as chips".

I recall having to pay at least £10 a gigabyte in the early part of the decade, but now you can buy mammoth capacity HDDs literally for pennies per gigabyte.
 500GB external drive recommendation? - Tooslow
"I recall having to pay at least £10 a gigabyte in the early part of the decade". Eeh bah gum, I can remember 't days before disks reached 100GB. In fact when I started down 't computer centre as a lad we had 100MB disks and they were the biggest you could get (3330s for afficionados).

Each cabinet (two drives) was about 5 feet high, 3 feet wide and about 4 feet deep. They used a three phase power supply and weighed, well, a helluva lot.

Try telling young folk that today and they'll laugh at you.

They were exchangeable too. You took one 100MB exchangeable disk out of 't drive and dropped in another. They were so big I know of one slightly built young lady who had difficulty lifting the exchangeable disks so she moved out of ops and into networks instead. I remember the payroll disk getting lost one time. It was found again under 't false floor. And then fixed disks came along at a MASSIVE 300MB (3350).

And after yer'd paid tens of thousands they were still no good to you without a controller.

And yer know, we enjoyed ourselves back then, even though we didn't have Gigabytes. Couldn't spell it. And you try telling the young folks today.

JH
 500GB external drive recommendation? - Zero
Pah I remember 3350's as well
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 15 Jul 10 at 20:16
Tooslow

I thought I was old, but I'm thinking again....:-)
Anything that makes you feel younger!

Incidentally I've ordered a pair of those A2s. Thanks for the link & recommendation.

JH
 500GB external drive recommendation? - Zero
>> Anything that makes you feel younger!

You seen the modern disk arrays TS? Petabytes of data in a thing the size of a 3990 controller, and so heavy the floor needs to be reinforced with girders.
Only in photos. The last few years I was working the datacentres were miles away so you never got to touch the hardware. They're mind boggling. Not just the size but the management, replication and all that - if you put your hand in your pocket for ther proper tools, though I spent the bulk of my career quietly bemoaning the lack of tools and "making do".

JH

>>Incidentally I've ordered a pair of those A2s>>

I trust you will find them as amazing for their size as I did.
I'll report back in due course.
Thanks Stuartli

JH
 500GB external drive recommendation? - FotheringtonTomas
OK, I bought a LaCie "Rikiki" 640GB. It's 110mm deep, 75mm wide, 13mm high, approx. Looks OK, black brushed anodised. Came through the letter-box this morning, now having 100GB or so of stuff put on it.
Latest Forum Posts