Computer Related > Chromecast, Fire TV etc. Computing Issues
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 8

Chromecast, Fire TV etc. - movilogo
Can anyone please tell me if these devices need phone/computer to operate with?

or they are completely standalone?

PS: Based on my research, it seems Chromecast always needs PC/phone/tablet from which it just casts/streams the video/audio. But Fire TV can be operated of its own.

So if I want something standalone, Fire TV stick is my only option?
Last edited by: movilogo on Sat 2 May 15 at 18:38
 Chromecast, Fire TV etc. - Ambo
From the product description on Amazon's site it looks as if Fire, at least, is standalone. Unfortunately, there seems to be no Amazon facility for asking via a personal email - hence my question about Fire today.

For what it is worth, Apple TV is standalone.
 Chromecast, Fire TV etc. - steveincornwall
Bought a Chromecast a couple of weeks ago. Using it on a Panasonic Viera. It works really well for Youtube and "sending" entire webpages like Flickr to the TV. Sadly the Eurosport player is not yet supported, but they have told me it should be compatible by mid July, too late for the Giro but ok for the Vuelta and some of the Tour?.
I use it with the ipad or the laptop (Ubuntu). As I understand it, the computer only points the Chromecast to the correct stream and it then streams directly from from your router. Once started you can shut down and put away the Ipad / computer.
Well worth £30.
 Chromecast, Fire TV etc. - steveincornwall
P.S. For a really good demo of Youtube try the 4k video of skydiving in Dubai. Some great steam train stuff there too. To cast webpages you need Google Chrome, no Firefox support yet.
Steve
 Chromecast, Fire TV etc. - Zero

>> I use it with the ipad or the laptop (Ubuntu). As I understand it, the
>> computer only points the Chromecast to the correct stream and it then streams directly from
>> from your router. Once started you can shut down and put away the Ipad /
>> computer.
>> Well worth £30.

You can also cast any video file on your machine using video stream, and you can cast any android desktop.
 Chromecast, Fire TV etc. - movilogo
I now bought a Fire TV stick for £35. I am not a prime member.

Only used for few hours but here is my first impression

1. It is a standalone device, you get a remote too.
2. Setting up is very easy
3. Number of apps is limited - so far I installed YouTube, BBC iPlayer, Demand 5, TED talk + few games for the kid

I chose this one over Chromecast because it can only stream from another device and can't used of its own.

I don't have a smart TV but Fire TV has turned mine in to a smart TV to a great extent.

For me the main usage would be for YouTube and iPlayer.

If you have prime membership, it offers much more.

Chromecast, Fire TV etc. - Focusless
>> For me the main usage would be for YouTube and iPlayer.

if anyone else wants just YouTube and the BBC/ITV/ch4/ch5 on-demand players in a stand-alone box I'd recommend the £10 Sky NowTV box. Also good for one-off movie rental via Sky movies (no contract required). Apologies for not mentioning that previously.
 Chromecast, Fire TV etc. - Focusless
>> I'd recommend the £10 Sky NowTV box

...although it looks like you can now(!) only buy it with a movies/sports/entertainment pack, for £20.
www.nowtv.com/box
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 7 May 15 at 15:56
 Chromecast, Fire TV etc. - Stuartli
I added Plex to my NowTV box. The NowTV box is used with the Entertainment Pass, which includes 13 live Sky channels, including Atlantic that's worth the monthly cost on its own.
Latest Forum Posts