Computer Related > Switch to Apple laptop Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 15

Switch to Apple laptop - Ambo
I have a desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium, with parts of Office 2007 Professional Suite. (Uses are Word, Excel, Outlook 2007 and IE11.)

I am thinking of switching to an Apple laptop. What complications can I expect please? Will I be able to keep the same email address? I hope the many documents and photos I have can be transferred.
 Switch to Apple laptop - Zero
Email addresses are not an issue, they don't change, but you will need an apple id as well. Documents and photos can be transferred but of course you will need a new office suite installed on your laptop (I use open office)

It very different to use however, and you will need to master the multitouch pad, control keys, and where things are found and kept.

One has to have a good reason to move, being an expensive option, do you have one?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 21 Mar 15 at 20:28
My reason is the many little things that keep going wrong in Windows. Some of these seem to follow the frequent MS downloads of modifications (I don't know the correct term), sometimes 25 in a row. I just don't have the time, patience or even knowledge to keep making corrections. Also, I believe the Apple system is more secure.

If you don't have time and patience, where are you going to find those when learning a new computer system? Having seen the little things that go wrong for you (based on what you post here) you are going to have similar pains on an apple machine. They too have to be updated,they too send out duff updates. Security issues on windows machines are overhyped, and apples IOS whilst being more secure (with an accompanying annoying amount of locks and keys you have to operate to get things done) is not immune.

Personally not sure your reasons are strong enough to fork out a grand or more.

Thought about an iPad? rather than an laptop?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 21 Mar 15 at 20:29
Yes, I have thought a bit about an iPad but would it do everything a PC can?
>> Yes, I have thought a bit about an iPad but would it do everything a
>> PC can?

Not if you are into a lot of document creation, editing, handling. But for browsing, general internet, email they are perfect. Specially if you are into faff free computing.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 21 Mar 15 at 11:48
 Switch to Apple laptop - NortonES2
Could get a wireless keyboard to pair with the iPad. Or even wired but that would take up the lightning connector port.
 Switch to Apple laptop - No FM2R
On this PC, which is what I use for normal life, I don't think anything has gone wrong in ages, perhaps never since I only got it about 2 years ago.

What sort of things happens to yours?
A small selection:

-Of late, very slow to get going. Tales about 30 minutes to work smoothly and even then there are delays switching from one document or service to another. OTOH Broadband download is 54.25 Mbps just now, which I believe is good.
-On internet, top of page disappeared meaning the exit arrow can't be accessed so a hard exit is the only way out. I found that this is because I use 125% zoom more easily to read text - but it worked on 125% before, so why not now, I wonder.
-I downloaded YoWindow recently, didn't like it and uninstalled it but was left with an Ask? homepage I hadn't asked for. This took some time to banish but was it by coincidence that...
-...incoming Email messages, although they would stay indefinitely if unopened would, if left opened, have disappeared next time Outlook was visited. This fault later partially cured itself, the system holding for a week and then deleting.
-When trying to open a file in My Documents I often get the message "There was a problem sending this command to the computer". Usually needs two attempts.

At least Zero has convinced me not to get into Apple

Switch to Apple laptop - rtj70
>> -Of late, very slow to get going. Tales about 30 minutes to work smoothly

A reinstall to a clean/new state would probably cure that. If it's always slow then it could be than fan is full of dust and the CPU is getting hot and having to throttle. If it's okay once going it's probably just Windows slowing down over time - it does that. Clean installs can make it feel like new.

>> -I downloaded YoWindow recently

Never heard of it but do be careful what you install. Maybe you have installed something that's causing all your problems.

If you move all your document etc to an Apple Macbook of some sort (I like Macs but there would be a learning curve for you) then you must know how to secure/copy your files. So providing you've got a copy of everything you want, know all accounts and passwords (e.g. for email accounts, Dropbox... whatever you use). You could try to do a reinstall of Windows.

>> -When trying to open a file in My Documents I often get the message "There was a problem
>> sending this command to the computer".

Never heard of that one before so I looked it up. Sounds like it might be Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) related. I suspect the error was 'there was a problem sending this command to the program' and not computer. Does the document in question have an embedded document of some sort, e.g. an Excel spreadsheet in a Word document?
 Switch to Apple laptop - Fullchat
Daughters laptops were grinding to a halt. Avast was our anti virus. Installed Bitdefender which unearthed a whole host of issues. Viruses, malware etc. Running much better now.
 Switch to Apple laptop - Roger.
tinyurl.com/ks3eacv
Please bear in mind it only comes with 4GB RAM. Probably enough for most but you can never upgrade it. Same goes for the Macbook Pros.
>> Please bear in mind it only comes with 4GB RAM. Probably enough for most but
>> you can never upgrade it. Same goes for the Macbook Pros.

Very similar to the spec on mine, and I have never found "only" 4gb Ram to be a hindrance or an issue, and mine gets used for heavyweight video editing.

Thats a good price.
It is a good price. I did say probably enough RAM but some might assume these things are still upgradeable on a laptop.

It is of course cheaper because the model was recently upgraded to faster/better Intel CPUs with better integrated graphics. But if the spec of the previous model is fine, then save £150. Part of the clue is it comes with Mac OS X Mavericks.

The 13" MBA is a better size to the 11" in my opinion. The 11" screen is a bit too small.

Latest Macbook Airs' specs here:

store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/macbook-air
Many thanks for all the above but I called in professional help. RAM was increased from 2gb to 4gb. This, and various tweaks, have cured the problems.
Latest Forum Posts