Computer Related > Unlicensed PC Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 5

Unlicensed PC - No FM2R
There is a PC, originally XP, which now has Windows 7 installed on it which is unlicensed and of unknown origin.

The PC is a POS, but for various boring reasons I do not wish to have it replaced but I need it legal.

Do I buy a copy of Windows 7? It seems that I can get an OEM version for about £130. Should I care that it is an OEM version? It seems as far as I can work out that it simply means I cannot transfer it to another system and if I replace anything major (mother board etc.) I may get grief.

Neither of those circumstances will occur.

Should I get an upgrade from XP?

I've got old PCs lying around with XP and Vista licences, but those don't help me. If I could find an old, broken PC which might lend me its Key?

I assume that a single retail licence can only be used on a single machine?

Bright ideas welcome. I've no problem playing fast and loose with the rules, but ultimately this PC must be to all intents and purposes fully licensed.

Unlicensed PC - Zero
I would just buy the appropriate OEM version (64 or 32 bit, Home premium or professional etc)

All the machines I have built have been loaded with the OEM, and many get upgraded lots with nary a murmur.
 Unlicensed PC - Fullchat
I had a PC built by someone and everything came loaded on. Eventually, I suppose doing updates, Microsoft informed me that I had a hooky copy of XP Pro installed. I relented an purchased a copy of Windows XP Pro Genuine Advantage (Direct CD no key) at £92 with Service Pack 2. This was 2006. The key came printed on the invoice.
I no longer have the machine and still have the disc and Product Key. No more reminders after the instillation.
 Unlicensed PC - RattleandSmoke
Now it is not strictly legal to put on an OEM version as it didn't come with the PC (the PC is second hand etc) , but since I assuming you're supporting the PC there is no real issue with this. I've done it myself if a customer doesn't have a legal OS and it needs a reinstall etc.

As far as I am concerned as longs as the COA is original to the case, e.g it is not from another computer then it is completely legal.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 20 Mar 15 at 18:34
 Unlicensed PC - No FM2R
"COA", Rattle?
 Unlicensed PC - Roger.
Certificate Of Authenticity?
Latest Forum Posts