Computer Related > 8.1 Lost Password Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 18

8.1 Lost Password - Robin O'Reliant
I recently did a full recovery on my laptop, setting it up with a local account. I don't remember having to set a password and if I did I can't remember it. I now can't get past the password screen, what can I do?
 8.1 Lost Password - Stuartli
Try:

www.tekrevue.com/tip/bypass-windows-8-password-screen/
 8.1 Lost Password - No FM2R
You need access to another computer...

trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?content=TRINITY_RESCUE_KIT____CPR_FOR_YOUR_COMPUTER&front_id=12&lang=en&locale=en

Download the ISO
Burn it to a CD
Put the CD in the annoying computer
Boot from the CD
Clear the password

I used this about a week ago. Quick & easy.
 8.1 Lost Password - Duncan
Won't this work?

windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-live/account-reset-password-forgot-faq
Isn't that for your Microsoft account rather than the machine?

>> www.tekrevue.com/tip/bypass-windows-8-password-screen/

I think that can only be used if you have access to the machine. I think Robin doesn't.
 8.1 Lost Password - Stuartli
He said he couldn't get past the password screen......
Prezackly.

And if you can't get past the password screen you can't get to the place where you can stop the password screen occurring.

If you see what I mean.
 8.1 Lost Password - rtj70
If this machine was recently recovered - what new data is on there? Data that's not stored elsewhere.
>> If this machine was recently recovered - what new data is on there? Data that's
>> not stored elsewhere.
>>

None, I did a full recovery a couple of weeks back and haven't actually used the machine since. I'll try Marks suggestion of downloading the recovery programme onto this machine tonight and see if that works.

However, I do have a full recovery backup saved on a memory stick, how do I get the laptop to boot from that instead of it's own HD?
 8.1 Lost Password - Roger.
Depends if you've saved the back-up as a bootable image, I guess.
Usually hitting F8, or F2, while the computer is starting will bring up the menu in which you can alter the sequence of inputs which the machine will use to boot.
I always make sure mine is set to CD/DVD optical drive as first, as that's how my emergency recovery data is held.
If you have set the hard drive as first option and that is the problem it will not normally boot up.
Last edited by: Roger. on Thu 19 Mar 15 at 10:35
....or boot on a recovery CD and then restore the USB backup.
 8.1 Lost Password - movilogo
Why not run the recovery again and note the password this time?
>> ....or boot on a recovery CD and then restore the USB backup.
>>

I didn't get a recovery CD. You have to make your own when you install.
What did you install from? It will be bootable and frequently will allow you to recover a backup.

Failing that, if it is a clean installation, you could just do it again.
The laptop came with 8.1 pre installed.

I might bite the bullet and buy a copy of 8.1 anyway as whatever way Compaq have configured it on the laptop it has been a massive pain in the butt. The 8.1 installation on this Dell desktop has been trouble free.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Thu 19 Mar 15 at 16:42
Sorry, I think I've lost what little part of the plot I had...

Is the new 8.1 Compaq laptop the one giving you the grief? If so, I thought that they came with a recovery disk, or at least a recovery option on startup - F11 or something.

Presumably you have nothing to lose data or software wise?
Yes, it's the Compaq that is giving me grief. It isn't new though, it's over a year old. As I recently did a full recovery from the recovery section on the HD I have no data to lose so maybe I'll try and see if I can get the recovery bit on start up.
 8.1 Lost Password - devonite
I followed the instructions found here, made the disc, and it works! HTH!

askleo.com/ive_lost_the_password_to_my_windows_administrator_account_how_do_i_get_it_back/
Latest Forum Posts